Test

Old July 24th 03, 04:48 AM
Katherine Burgess

"Els van Dam" wrote
, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Gwen
I can't remember eating corn when we lived in Sydney. Somehow, I don't

think
that Grandmama would have allowed it. g
It is great to be back. I have done the laundry, and plan to start

serious
unpacking tomorrow. I have put away some small things, but have much to

do!
Actually, it MAY wait until Friday, as the weather is supposed to be

nice
tomorrow and raining on Friday, so that could be a better day for

staying in
and unpacking.
Katherine

Ahh do I hear an excuse for not getting on with the unpacking....????

Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful day
on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. g It will rain on
Friday, and I can do it then.
Katherine
(Did that work as an explanation???)

Old July 24th 03, 02:18 PM
G.Kelly

Els , maybe this is the corn I ate so much of in the past ten years
travelling in your neck of the woods. Almost every day we would stop and
have a BBQ in a park or somewhere and *always* we had corn as one of our
vegies- I guess it might have been the sweet tooth in me that liked it so
much but whatever it was we could not help ourselves !!! Love and God
bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , "G.Kelly"
wrote:

Katherine the worst part of a holiday is the unpacking !! Packing is

fun
but unpacking? ugh!

I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply

not
heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one

of
the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same

strains
or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never

so
sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
were not so overly sweet

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Old July 24th 03, 02:24 PM
G.Kelly

Well Els I am glad your company can enjoy it even if i cannot God Bless
Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , "G.Kelly"
wrote:

Katherine it is good to have you back. You make me drool - there is

no
corn like the North American corn - we have - and enjoy- our corn but
compared to yours it should be given to the parrots !!! God Bless

gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Sweet Gwen, you certainly had me laughing....you see that is just what
Otto thinks of corn....."chicken feed" I love it but we do not eat it
very often unles we have company......

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Old July 24th 03, 02:30 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:47:40 GMT, "G.Kelly" wrote:

I think back in pre and early post war years corn on the cob was simply not
heard of in Australia but our diet changed remarkably when all the New
Australians arrived after the war and I think corn on the cob was one of
the new ideas. However, either the growers do not have the same strains
or they leave it on the plant too long or something because it is never so
sweet and juicy as yours. God Bless Gwen

Could be both. The new sugar-enhanced and super-sweet varieties have up to
twice the sugar as the old Silver Queen and such. Even SQ was much sweeter
than the corn we had as young kids, if you ate it right away and it wasn't
left on the stalk too long. The sugar-enhanced will stay sweet about 3 days
after harvesting, and the super-sweets as much as a week.

Forcing this back to fiber, has anyone tried the new spinning fiber made
from corn, called Ingeo? I bought some at MD sheep & wool but haven't spun
it yet. Bought soy silk, too. I love that these fibers are made from the
leftovers of food production. Waste not, want not!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 24th 03, 02:48 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:40:53 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

Gwen we have the last 10 years or so a new variety of corn....called
peaches and cream, and to honest with you I do find it way to sweer, I
like the old varieties much better. They had a bit more character, and
were not so overly sweet

Costco now sells that variety as frozen kernels. In that form it's sweet
but not overwhelmingly so, and a wonderful addition to corn bread. I just
read in an article that the super-sweet varieties don't start to break
their sugars down into starch until 3-7 days after harvesting. Maybe if you
hold the ears you buy for a couple of days before you cook them, you can
get something more like you remember. My trick for having more corn taste
is to cook the ears with the husks mostly on. I just remove the outermost
husk, peel back the rest just enough to remove the worst of the silk, and
trim off any worm damage, then push it back in place and zap 2- 4 ears for
4-6 minutes, total, in the microwave. That's just enough to heat them
through, with the husk on. To eat, just peel back the husk and use that as
a handle. What's left of the silk comes off much more easily after it's
cooked. I don't bother with butter or salt, but DH still uses both. I've
become a real purist about not messing with the corn flavor as I age.
Cooking in the husk really enhances it. I think boiling leaches it away,
leaving only that sweetness.

Old July 24th 03, 02:48 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:48:01 -0300, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful day
on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. g It will rain on
Friday, and I can do it then.
Katherine
(Did that work as an explanation???)

Works for me, and your garden probably missed you, anyway.

Old July 24th 03, 03:13 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote...

Dam) wrote:

[...]

Hmm, cooking in the husk??? Never tried that!
Thanks for the tip.
Katherine

Old July 24th 03, 03:15 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Well, no, not really! I just don't see any point in wasting a beautiful

day
on staying indoors and sorting through suitcases. g It will rain on
Friday, and I can do it then.
Katherine
(Did that work as an explanation???)

Works for me, and your garden probably missed you, anyway.

According to the latest forecast, the rain has been delayed until Saturday,
so I will get another day outside. Considering the length of our winters, I
really MUST soak up all the outdoor air I can while it will not freeze my
lungs. g
Luckily, there is nothing I desperately need in my luggage.
Katherine

Old July 24th 03, 03:17 PM
Katherine Burgess

"G.Kelly" wrote ...
Els it does rather sound like Katherine has made a good excuse but I for

one
cannot blame her. When we used to return after our year away we had a real
mega job of unpacking - we travel very light but we had to unpack all out
furniture and belongings which we would pack away before we left so that

we
could rent our house. I did that for six trips but will never do it

again
! Enjoy the weather Katherine and unpack later

Thank you, Gwen. I knew someone would understand. g
Katherine

Old July 24th 03, 03:17 PM
Katherine Burgess

Katherine

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
1000 points to you
mirjam
0, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

There have been no posts since earlier this afternoon, and I can't

believe
it, so I am trying now.
No need to reply.
Katherine

compatibility test nimu Glass 2 December 28th 04 03:06 PM
knot test of the EDK O J Knots 5 April 27th 04 11:39 PM
question for all you experienced mothers Dr. Quilter Quilting 47 August 31st 03 01:56 AM
OT Story - Driving Test Follies Kandice Seeber Beads 9 July 23rd 03 02:27 AM