Knitting machines?

Old December 14th 03, 06:34 PM
Karen MN

Default Knitting machines?

Okay, I'm sure this topic may have come up in the past, but if it did, I
would have skipped it, because I don't have one,
and in fact have never even seen one out of the box, and know nothing about
them. I will probably go wade through google when I go out to where I have
better internet access this week, but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask
here.

I saw a machine at JoAnn Fabrics the other day. I think it was called
"Ultimate Knitting Machine". They didn't have one set up, so all I saw was
what was on the box. It was the only brand or kind they had. So from a
totally machine-ignorant person to those of you who know them and use them
or have used them:

Are there major differences between them? What CAN'T you machine knit? Are
they only good for straight knitting, or can you do things like alternate
knit/purl, cables, etc? Do they require attachments? Are there limits to
what kind of yarn you can use? I'm guessing that time it takes to do
something is a MAJOR advantage to a machine -- but what other
advantages/disadvantages over handknitting are there?

Thanks in advance.

Karen in MN

Old December 14th 03, 07:05 PM
seaspray

http://www.bond-america.com/help/help_usm_faq.html

This is a page that might answer a lot of your questions. My DM bought me
the Incredible sweater machine about 9 years ago back when they had an
infomercial for it. I have used it but not in the last 5 years or so. I
found that I had to buy extra needle beds to extend the amount of stitches.
I also found that a stitch counter was very helpful in keeping track. I also
pruchased a special table for it because the clamp was marking up my dining
room table.

I have done fair isle and intarsia with it. Things came out nice. I don't
hand knit, though, so a comparison is hard for me to say. One thing that I
did not like was the lack of patterns at that time. I could not easily
convert a hand knit pattern to the machine. But that was the only drawback.

Seaspray

Old December 15th 03, 12:03 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "seaspray" seaside
stitcher @ Yahoo. com wrote:

http://www.bond-america.com/help/help_usm_faq.html

This is a page that might answer a lot of your questions. My DM bought me
the Incredible sweater machine about 9 years ago back when they had an
infomercial for it. I have used it but not in the last 5 years or so. I
found that I had to buy extra needle beds to extend the amount of stitches.
I also found that a stitch counter was very helpful in keeping track. I also
pruchased a special table for it because the clamp was marking up my dining
room table.

I have done fair isle and intarsia with it. Things came out nice. I don't
hand knit, though, so a comparison is hard for me to say. One thing that I
did not like was the lack of patterns at that time. I could not easily
convert a hand knit pattern to the machine. But that was the only drawback.

Seaspray

Helen is the person to talk to she uses her knitting machines a lot.

I do have a machine, but I do not use it a lot, only for the odd item that
can be knitted quickly. Mine is a Brother. I can change the knitting set
up by exchanging the divider beds. ( between the knitting needles) One is
for regular knitting the other for bulky. I find it a nice machine, and I
even knitted on the bulky setting a loosly knitted bag from heavy yarn for
felting. It worked very well.

When the kids were small I had a Knitking and it had a fine setting only.
I knitted many sweaters, scarves and caps. Once the kids were bigger, my
mother in law did all the knitting for the girls. I gave the Knitking
away to a friend.

Karen if you are interested in getting a machine, go and look at the major
brands and let someone give you a demo, so you understand what you are
looking at. Try it out and see if you like knitting on a machine. They
are dear to buy. I do know that we have a knitting machine group here, so
maybe you may find a Guild as well in your location. That would also be a
very good place to go and visit and learn all about it.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 15th 03, 12:11 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:34:03 -0600, Karen MN wrote:

[...]

Karen, I'm going to discuss this with you off-list, as I have loads to say!
Hugs,
Noreen
who HAD a Bond, and got rid of it for my Artisan.....

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 15th 03, 01:11 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

stitcher @ Yahoo. com wrote:

http://www.bond-america.com/help/help_usm_faq.html

This is a page that might answer a lot of your questions.

Good advice, Seaspray.

Helen is the person to talk to she uses her knitting machines a lot.

Oddly enough, no. I don't know diddly about the Bond machines. I have never
knitted on a plastic bed machine of any sort.

I do have a machine, but I do not use it a lot, only for the odd item that
can be knitted quickly. Mine is a Brother. I can change the knitting set
up by exchanging the divider beds. ( between the knitting needles) One is
for regular knitting the other for bulky. I find it a nice machine, and I
even knitted on the bulky setting a loosly knitted bag from heavy yarn for
felting. It worked very well.

Ooh, I've heard about that one but never used it. I have a couple of flat
bed machines that I use regularly; a Brother standard gauge and a Knitking
Bulky gauge -- both with punch card patterning and ribbers.

Karen if you are interested in getting a machine, go and look at the major
brands and let someone give you a demo, so you understand what you are
looking at. Try it out and see if you like knitting on a machine. They
are dear to buy. I do know that we have a knitting machine group here, so
maybe you may find a Guild as well in your location. That would also be a
very good place to go and visit and learn all about it.

More excellent advice. I learned so much from the guild I belonged to. I
only wish that it wasn't such a nightmare drive round the DC beltway in
rush hour to get it. I had to quit going because of that drive.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old December 15th 03, 01:16 PM
Janise Ross

Speaking of knitting machines, is there a way to convert a pattern from
"knitting machine" to "hand knit?"

Janise

Old December 15th 03, 02:09 PM
Stella Fenley

go to this site
http://www.cara4webshopping.com/cara_free/convert.htm
good luck.Stella
"Janise Ross" wrote in message
Speaking of knitting machines, is there a way to convert a pattern from
"knitting machine" to "hand knit?"

Janise

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:03:35 -0800, (Els van

Dam) wrote:

In article , "seaspray"

seaside

Old December 15th 03, 02:16 PM
Stella Fenley

here is another site
http://www.knitting-crochet.com/exchange/
Good luck.Stella
"Janise Ross" wrote in message
Speaking of knitting machines, is there a way to convert a pattern from
"knitting machine" to "hand knit?"

Janise

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:03:35 -0800, (Els van

Dam) wrote:

In article , "seaspray"

seaside

Old December 16th 03, 06:10 AM
Kari

Karen,

I have only 3 knitting machines (working on getting a 4th)!!!
Mine have all been Empisal/Knitmaster/Silver Reed - since 1970

I could not LIVE without them!!!!! Knitting machines stay with you longer
than kids (and they don't back-chat).
The ONLY drawback I have found is making tiny thinks like baby bootees.
Because they are so small it is quicker to knit by hand.
Oh - one other drawback - you can't use them on a train or plane!! But I
find that if I take pencil and paper around with me, there is always someone
wearing something that I can "secretly draw now & knit when I get back
home". OK, so it may not be identical but it will be UNIQUE.

Take a look at my wedding dress on Martin's site.
My motto is:- "if you can draw it - I can knit it".
Shape, stitch pattern, yarn type/thickness.
I have attachments galore that didn't cost much and added endless
possibilities to the things that my Babies can do!

I better stop now - before you have proof that I am INSANELY in love with my
Machines.

--
Kari (in the UK)
SpamTrap: I will have "no spam" emailed to me!

Old December 16th 03, 04:42 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:10:21 -0000, "Kari" wrote:

I could not LIVE without them!!!!! Knitting machines stay with you longer
than kids (and they don't back-chat).

Yet, I could have sworn my first CSM was snickering at me during the
learning curve/breaking in period. None of my flat bed machines have been
that cranky, though. Well, maybe the Studio fine gauge that convinced me
I'd need serious bifocal help to knit with it. One thinks standard gauge is
mighty fine until one deals with one of those puppies. It still sits there
going neener-neener at me.

knitting machines ToniB Machine Knit 2 March 8th 04 04:54 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 09:23 PM
Great Tapestry Knitting Bags and Knitting Needle Cases Accessories by Bettz Designs Marketplace 0 November 2nd 03 02:58 AM
Knitting Machines For Sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 15th 03 02:41 PM