new crochet fans!

Old April 14th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default new crochet fans!

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
Kirsten Watson wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Spouse was a 'craft, design, technology' teacher for many years. Cooking
wasn't taught to girls or boys, instead they were taught things like
designing a pizza take-away box or how to assemble ready-prepared
ingredients to make a meal. He couldn't teach real practical metal or
woodwork because it involved dangerous tools, only the theory.

That's absurd. What is this, Zen teaching theory? Half the point of
lessons is to learn how to be careful.

I know that, you know that, legislation in this country is being influenced
by claims though.

A grand daughter lives with us temporarily while she does a college course
(her parents live in France). Her course is for childcare. Yesterdy she told
me that talcum powder must not be used on babies because it blocks the
pores.

!

Bu then, I speak as one who was using woodworking tools before I went
to school; I got all my early cuts and sore fingers at home. Daddy's
method of babysitting toddlers was to give them a piece of wood, some
common nails, and an adult-sized hammer.

Same here and same with our children.

We cooked a recipe, ate it, and cleaned up afterwards in one hour.
Sewing took a little longer. Back in those days, no boys took
Home Economics (they could have)

When our youngest boy was doing cookery (real cookery, with ingredients and
a finished dish) he came home from school disgusted with the result of his
latest lesson. At nine yo he'd made bread.

With 2 ozs of flour.

He complained that there wasn't enough dought to knead - he was used to
making half a stone at a time at home.

Enameling? I would have loved to take woodwork and metalwork even
if I would have been bad at it. My niece did well when she took Shop.

OK - I give in. What's 'Shop'?

As a result, I'm reasonably confident with any relevant techniques
I need to use, even though my designs were universally appalling
(the kneeler I made for my moher is still in use as a shelf).

My embroidery design was so rigid and unimaginative... I don't recall
whether I finally discarded it.

We're still using tablecloths I embroidered (from transfers though) in my
teens, not at school. I really don't like the designs now except one very
modern, almost abstract one. We'll use them until they drop apart - which
they are doing fast ...

Mary

Old April 14th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote
Kirsten Watson wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Spouse was a 'craft, design, technology' teacher for many years. Cooking
wasn't taught to girls or boys, instead they were taught things like
designing a pizza take-away box or how to assemble ready-prepared
ingredients to make a meal. He couldn't teach real practical metal or
woodwork because it involved dangerous tools, only the theory.

That's absurd. What is this, Zen teaching theory? Half the point of
lessons is to learn how to be careful.

I know that, you know that, legislation in this country is being influenced
by claims though.

Here too, I fear, but so far I think the kids can actually touch tools.

A grand daughter lives with us temporarily while she does a college course
(her parents live in France). Her course is for childcare. Yesterday she told
me that talcum powder must not be used on babies because it blocks the
pores.

!

The version I've heard is that the powder might be breathed and harm the
lungs, but not that it blocks the skin. I wonder whether the teacher got
that out of a book or just verbally from someone who heard it somewhere.
(Remembering hearing of student teachers who "weren't into reading".)

But then, I speak as one who was using woodworking tools before I went
to school; I got all my early cuts and sore fingers at home. Daddy's
method of babysitting toddlers was to give them a piece of wood, some
common nails, and an adult-sized hammer.

Same here and same with our children.

And every kid I'm aware of loved it, too.

We cooked a recipe, ate it, and cleaned up afterwards in one hour.
Sewing took a little longer. Back in those days, no boys took
Home Economics (they could have)

When our youngest boy was doing cookery (real cookery, with ingredients and
a finished dish) he came home from school disgusted with the result of his
latest lesson. At nine yo he'd made bread.

With 2 ozs of flour.

He complained that there wasn't enough dought to knead - he was used to
making half a stone at a time at home.

Technically I can make bread, but in fact it comes out terrible. I think
I overknead.

Enameling? I would have loved to take woodwork and metalwork even
if I would have been bad at it. My niece did well when she took Shop.

OK - I give in. What's 'Shop'?

In the northeastern USA, "shop" was the generic term for school lessons
in woodwork, metalwork, anything done in a workshop, including setting
type by hand (now that was really out of date). When the art class did
oil paintings, the shop class cut the wood for the frames because they
were trained to use a saw. (Never mind that the painters had also done
carving in art class, most using chisels and gouges that were harder to
control than a hand saw.) The painters got to glue the frames together
and apply a stain made from oil paint. (Toxic materials!)

I'd been using saws at home for ten years at that point but many of
the other students had never touched a real tool until the carving
portion of the art class. Having the shop students cut the diagonals
gave them something real to do and no doubt improved the quality of
the frames.

Now there are people who object to adults using sharp pointed knitting
needles.

=Tamar
Old April 14th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Richard Eney wrote:

[...]

Chortle, chortle. We allowed our son to have a driving license as soon
as he was sixteen (that wwas the magic age in Florida) as he was a
pretty responsible, trustworthy kid. However, he had to have the school
"Drivers'Ed." course in order to get a discount on the insurance. One
weekend, using our older car, he drove himself and three other kids from
the church youth group to a conference about four hours away, turnpike
driving most of the way.

The following Monday, he came home guffawing..........that day, in
Drivers Ed, he had been permitted to take the wheel of the training car
and pilot it around the school parking lot!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old April 15th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

I know that, you know that, legislation in this country is being
influenced
by claims though.

Here too, I fear, but so far I think the kids can actually touch tools.

Perhaps the main adult use for tool touching these days would be for d.i.y.
There's not much manufacturing industry which needs tools nowadays :-(

A grand daughter lives with us temporarily while she does a college course
(her parents live in France). Her course is for childcare. Yesterday she
told
me that talcum powder must not be used on babies because it blocks the
pores.

!

The version I've heard is that the powder might be breathed and harm the
lungs, but not that it blocks the skin. I wonder whether the teacher got
that out of a book or just verbally from someone who heard it somewhere.
(Remembering hearing of student teachers who "weren't into reading".)

I don't believe either theory! But I'd prefer to use cornflour anyway.

Technically I can make bread, but in fact it comes out terrible. I think
I overknead.

The bread-bakers list could be useful for you ... if you want to make bread
that is. I can't think of buying even the best commercially made bread.

[...]

I see, thanks for that thorough explanation.

Now there are people who object to adults using sharp pointed knitting
needles.

Yes. The bone ones we make are in demand by American who want to go on
planes, apparently they're accepted where metal ones aren't.

shrug

The ways of legislators have always been shrouded in mystery ...

Mary

=Tamar

Old April 15th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message

Chortle, chortle. We allowed our son to have a driving license as soon as
he was sixteen (that wwas the magic age in Florida) as he was a pretty
responsible, trustworthy kid. However, he had to have the school
"Drivers'Ed." course in order to get a discount on the insurance. One
weekend, using our older car, he drove himself and three other kids from
the church youth group to a conference about four hours away, turnpike
driving most of the way.

The following Monday, he came home guffawing..........that day, in Drivers
Ed, he had been permitted to take the wheel of the training car and pilot
it around the school parking lot!!

Oh well done! I hope they gave him an appropriate certificate or at least a
Red Star.

:-)

Mary

Old April 16th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message

Chortle, chortle. We allowed our son to have a driving license as soon as
he was sixteen (that wwas the magic age in Florida) as he was a pretty
responsible, trustworthy kid. However, he had to have the school
"Drivers'Ed." course in order to get a discount on the insurance. One
weekend, using our older car, he drove himself and three other kids from
the church youth group to a conference about four hours away, turnpike
driving most of the way.

The following Monday, he came home guffawing..........that day, in Drivers
Ed, he had been permitted to take the wheel of the training car and pilot
it around the school parking lot!!

Oh well done! I hope they gave him an appropriate certificate or at least a
Red Star.

:-)

Mary

Most important, he got the "pass" certificate at the end of the course,
and we got the discount on the car insurance. Not to be sniffed at when
you have a teenage male driver in the house!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old April 16th 08, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message

Most important, he got the "pass" certificate at the end of the course,
and we got the discount on the car insurance. Not to be sniffed at when
you have a teenage male driver in the house!!

Certainly not. I don't think there's such a system here :-(

Mary

OT - for canine fans Bruce Needlework 8 September 21st 07 11:35 PM
OT - For all the Pirate fans out there.. Scorpio Quilting 9 February 9th 05 05:33 PM
FS: Old Time Crochet, Herrschner's Crochet Patterns, McCall's Crochet Patterns/Magazine marilyn safier Marketplace 0 March 16th 04 06:46 AM