Wedding quilt - Help me decide!

Old October 13th 05, 04:42 AM
Polly Esther

If there's a trendy that somebody ought to go stomp on and put out of its
misery, it's the grim, depressing dull gray and insipid beige that the
magazines are pushing lately. That's even worse than the avocado green plus
orange of the 60s. Chocolate and pink have always been good. Not a trend,
just a fact. IMHOWEWT? (In my humble opinion, whenever was that?) Polly

"Louise" wrote in message
In the late 80s, I had a quilt book (probably still have it somewhere)
that had a sampler quilt done in pinks and browns - I loved it and always
said I'd make one some day. Well, some day hasn't come yet, but I still
remember the warm and fuzzy feeling I got when I looked at that quilt. If
she likes it and you can find the right colors, I say go for it!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"extremevalues" wrote in message
ups.com...
"No real help from me. I don't do decisions these days. Polly "

Wonder Why?

Anyway, your post helps a lot!! I have been told not to do pink and
brown (which I was truely considering) since it is her wedding colors.
I guess it is too trendy, and will be looked upon as a UGLY in a few
years, but I figure a few years later it will be back in style again,
well maybe 20 or 30 years, but her kids or grandkids may like it....
Who cares?? Right! Maybe I'll post the Pink and brown things I have
done on EQ. Then you guys can see if they are UGLY now!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 05:00 AM
Kate T.

A chocolate and pink Lone Star would be beautiful. I never thought
much of brown until I made a quilt with it. My sister says I am "color
uncoordinated" so I made a quilt and named it that. She finally got to
see it when I evacuated because of the hurricane. Would you believe
she loved it, even with brown. No Sis didn't get the quilt, its back
on my bed. But I digress. How about various shades of brown and pink
for the star, the background in pink and quilted with brown thread in
the blocks around the star.

Just a suggestion.

Kate T.

Old October 13th 05, 06:27 AM
Debra

On 12 Oct 2005 18:19:13 -0700, "extremevalues"
wrote:

Think of the things that remind you of her, then pick colors that
reflect those things. If you remember playing a lot of board games,
use some of the colors found on the game boards. Add some white if
you changed her diapers, add the color of her favorite ice cream
flavor, and a little of her favorite color from when she was young.
Add green if you spent a lot of time outdoors. Have fun with it. You
want to make the quilt because of your memories of the time spent
together, so why not tie the memories together in the quilt. You
can't get any more personal than a quilt made of memories.

I agree with the others who say to use the block pattern you would
enjoy making. If you decide on a pattern you think she'd like and you
end up hating making the blocks, it will show.

Size is the hard question. If you go with queen size it should work
just fine on both a double or queen bed. A king size will work on
king or queen but may hit the floor on a double bed. You could make a
call to her mom or a friend and find out what size bed she has just to
be sure. You can always say you were thinking about gifting a new set
of sheets if you want to keep the quilt a secret.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 13th 05, 08:18 AM
Patti

Just for once, I remembered to read the other replies before starting
my own g
I was wary of chocolate and pink at first, in case she later 'went off'
them; but the replies suggesting you use them are very valid. I think
using a range of dark to light in each colour (even if it's just three
each!) would avoid the danger of the chocolate swamping the pink.
A Lone Star would be beautiful; and, as you know you can do them, it
would be even more satisfying to work on - no construction stress.
I wonder whether you would consider introducing a lovely soft green -
perhaps for the background? Pink and green are also happy bed-fellows;
and chocolate and soft green would go very well together too.
I would love to see the progress of this quilt -if you have time, Carol.
..
In message . com,
extremevalues writes
My 1st cousin is getting married next October. She was born when I was
14 and she was my favorite cousin. I babysat her quite a bit. But I
have not had much contact with her in the last 15 years or so. She was
in my wedding and my 13 year old daughter will be in her wedding.

Now I need to make some choices, and the sooner the better.

1. What kind of quilt is appropriate for such a relationship?
A) Should I peice something that is fabulous and of heirloom quality?
(Don't know if that's possible, but I can make a lone star)
B)Or should I make a simple pieced pattern that she will probably be
equally thrilled with? (
C) somwhere in between.

Also, please suggest some pattern that would go with your choice.

2. What colors should I use and why?
A) Totally scrappy
B) Her home dec colors
C) Her wedding colors - Chocolate brown and pink
D) What I like

3. What size should I make?

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 13th 05, 01:58 PM
Kellie J. Berger

some alternates to the curvy wedding ring that still have that theme...

http://www.portup.com/~hjbe/quilt/weddring.html wedding ring

http://www.quilt.com/BlockOfTheMonth...ngBouquet.html Wedding
Bouquet

http://www.craftown.com/quilt/weddingring.htm wedding ring (i know there is
a better site for this somewhere)

http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/partners/steps.html steps to the altar

http://www.portup.com/~hjbe/quilt/steps.html courthouse steps

http://www.quilt.com/BlockOfTheMonth...AndSquare.html Fair and Square

and one that has no linkage to weddings but that i like a lot and think
would look real nice with chocolate and pinks and maybe another color (robin
egg blue? cream?)
http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy/sqplaidquilt.html Plaid quilt

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
"extremevalues" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that picking what I want is the way to go. I am just stuck, and
don't want to wait another six months trying to figure it out. I need
some inspiration!!

Anyone just want to suggest patterns? Ranging from simple to
intermediate. I really don't want to do the heirloom thing and I don't
do applique (unless it's fusable). Maybe you guys know of some great
patterns that I have never seen.

I really think I will do a lap or larger quilt, not a wallhanging.

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 02:17 PM
Idahoqltr

You might want to take a look at the book "Quilts for Chocolate Lovers"
for a pattern.

Old October 13th 05, 02:25 PM
pami

I would make a memory quilt with pictures of both the bride and groom from
kids to now....I've made 2 memory quilts as gifts and they are a BIG hit.
You could embellish it so it's fancy. My husband put frames around the
pictures...and I would put their wedding announcement as the center
block....frame it with lace. The 2 people I've made the quilts
for...display them. The first was for a 50th Anniversary...and the 2nd for
a guy who turned 40 (my friend's hubby) and he's in publishing and I did
that one mostly book related . I always have 6 1/2" muslin squares cut for
the projects and I mix other 6 1/2" fabrics in with them.
Pami

Old October 13th 05, 02:40 PM
frood

Log Cabin (and it's varients) give lots of opportunities to play with layout
design. Drunkard's Path (done in big blocks - 7") are also fun to play
with - but you may want to call it Love Ring instead G.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 13th 05, 04:00 PM
monique

Carol,

If you have many happy memories of her as a child and if she was in your
wedding, you probably have some great photos. Why not incorporate some
transferred photos in the quilt? If you are sneaky enough, you might be
able to wangle some pics of the prospective husband to include as well!
If nothing else, you could include a picture of you and your cousin on
the label. That would be great!

If you are making a bedspread quilt, the colors matter much more than if
it is an under-the-spread-for-real-warmth quilt. Whatever you choose,
make sure it's not too extreme--people's tastes change over the years,
people move into rented housing with predetermined color schemes, etc.
Pick something you can stand to work on (pink and brown would NOT be it
for me!!) I tend to like the semi-scrappy look--lots of different
fabrics but all in the same color scheme. For example, the broken
dishes quilt I made for my MIL used 27 different pink and mostly pink
prints.

I'm sure she will love it no matter what it turns out to be!

Monique in TX

Old October 13th 05, 05:09 PM
Julia in MN

Write a letter to give with the quilt, explaining why you chose the
colors and pattern that you did, especially if you are selecting them
based on the times you spent together.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/