Old Girl Scout fabric

Old July 18th 03, 05:31 PM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

And they are made from 100% Girl Scouts!
Diana

Sounds like a very good idea!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old July 18th 03, 05:38 PM
Diana Curtis

And they are made from 100% Girl Scouts!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"georg" wrote in message
Kate Dicey wrote:
georg wrote:

julia sidebottom wrote:

Do you remember the days

when Girl Scout cookies were 35-50 cents?

I use to be a cookie pusher in the days when they were 35 cents a box.
When they were 1.25 a box, I was top cookie pusher of my troop, 2 years
in a row.

-georg

What are Girl Scout Cookies?

Girl Guides don't sell them on your side of the pond?

Every year, the GS take orders for several types of cookies and then a
few months later sell them/deliver orders. These cookies are made
through the Burry or something like that cookie company. It's THE major
fund raiser for Girl Scouts every year. The classic flavor is Thin
Mints, which is a chocolate biscuit coated in minty dark chocolate.
These are heavenly IMNSHO. They also sell shortbread (my husband's
second fav that I usually forget because I dislike), sandwich cookies,
this coconut caramael confection I also adore, a peanut-butter chocolate
covered cookie, and a couple other kinds. Current price when I last
bought them about $4/box.

http://www.girlscouts.org/about/cookie_hist.html

-georg

Old July 18th 03, 05:58 PM
Shelly

I remember them being .50/box Julia! I was a brownie and received a pin for
being a "super seller!" lol
Shelly
"julia sidebottom" wrote in message
I too still have my badges on my sashes. As I have been following this
thread I was wondering what ever happened to my long sleeved uniform.
In my day you could not resell them but give them to the troop or
another scout.
You are soooo right about the badges. Some I have include, firearms,
fishing, beekeeping, camping badges of several types, homemaking, horse
back riding, swimming, and so many others. And those that are still
around definitely look different than the ones from years past. I still
have my original GS pin and brownie pin too. Even these have had a
major make over in the last several years. Do you remember the days
when Girl Scout cookies were 35-50 cents?
As my girls got to the 'girl scout' ages I was active with their
troops. Of course that was before my fax pa. with the troop.
just wish I could remember what I did with the uniform, I kept it with
the sashes. Hum... now another mystery to solve. Hum.....

CNYstitcher wrote:

Hey! I still have mine....all 2 sashes worth (yes, I was an
overachiever back when I was younger)..and they are still on teh
sashes!!! Do all former girl scouts keep their badges?? And speaking
of badges, did you know that most of the ones that we probably have no
longer exist?? I was a tropp leader for 2 years when I was overseas,
and i didn't recognise most of the ones the girls were working for.

Larisa, digressing as usual while destressing from visitors

Nana2B wrote:

Look at good will stores for old Girl Scout uniforms. I actually have

my
badges and the sash in tact. Mine are from the 60's.

--

** When responding in email please put in subject line RCTQ *** this
will insure the mail will go to the right box ****

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com

---

Old July 18th 03, 08:11 PM
julia sidebottom

GS cookies are cookies specially made and distributed only for GS's
for fund raising. They are only available once a year (In March). They
come in a variety of flavors. My favorite ones are Mint, Peanut Butter
Patties. (a pad of peanut butter inside the cookie and covered in
chocolate, Shortbread, and the chocolate Caramel Coconut ones. I believe
they had 8 different cookies flavors available this last year. W would
go door to door selling cookies. Things have changed a lot since my day.
Door to door sales are only done on a buddy system. Some troops sell
cookies out side grocery stores and many other places. Because these
cookies are soooooo good it doesn't take long for some GS's to sell 200
boxes, even at the high prices of today ($5.00 a box)
juliasb

Old July 18th 03, 09:14 PM
CNYstitcher

My question is: are there any area where the girls still go from
door-to-door??? When I was in scouting, that was how I started my
sales. Once I finished the neighborhood, Dad took it to work for 2
days, then Mother took it to work for 3 or more days.

I haven't noticed any scouts going through the neighborhood at all, and
only see them in the mall, outside Wal-Mart, or sometimes in the grocery
store. I know that safety is a major issue, so I am glad that our
scouts are being looked out for...it was just a question of curiosity.

Also, if the scouts don't go door-to-door, why do they still let the
kids try to sell things for their sports teams door-to-door???

Larisa

Laurie G. wrote:

The price of GS Cookies changes from council to council depending on the
cookie company and the incentives program they offer. Also, the amount a
troop gets to keep from the sale of a box of cookies varies depending on
the same factors. Here, in my council, the cost of a box of cookies is
$3.00 and the troop keeps $.50 a box. We have low incentives (prizes
like stuffed animals, pens, etc., for the girls) so our council and
troops get more $$ per box than some of the other councils around us!

And, aren't those little girls sweet!?!?!???????

Laurie G. (lifetime member of GSUSA!)

"georg" wrote in message

Old July 18th 03, 09:34 PM
Piglet

Sssh, we're not telling that we remember that!

Lol

--pig

On 7/17/03 11:46 PM, opined:

Old July 19th 03, 02:39 AM
Laurie G.

Ya know, Larisa, up until this past year I would say yes, they do, but
this past cookie sale did not bring one gs to my door. I think it is a
major safety issue. Unfortunate because cookie sales are a troops major
money earning activity. ("fund raising" is what the board of directors
and paid staff does. girls and troops "money earn") How's that for a
fact you probably could care less about! g

Laurie G.

"georg" wrote in message

Old July 19th 03, 04:59 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I buy my GS cookies from my granddarling in NH. She phones me and tells
me what she has and I mail her the check. They ship the cookies to
me....in MO.

Leslie not the cheapest way to buy cookies, but the mostest fun way,
for sure!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old July 19th 03, 07:31 PM
Shelly

The only reason I can think of them not going door to door like they used to
do, is just the danger. Seems that when I was in school,(too many years
ago), we were selling something every other week, candy, cookies, Christmas
related items from the little 4-5 pg books. I hated it then, and I hate it
now when the kids bring these things home wanting to sell them to try and
"win" the prizes for selling the most items.
We lived in a very nice neighborhood but also had a child molester that
lived right out my back door that no one knew about and no one would have
believed they'd been told. He preyed on little girls. I'd warned all my
friends about this man but never told my parents, or anyone else. He and his
brother owned a small store that we kids,visited several times a day for
candy and ice creams. He attempted to molest me at the age of about 10 or
11, when I was in the store alone one evening. I ran out of the store and
told all the girls in the neighborhood to NEVER EVER go into that store
alone when he was in the store. They DIDN'T. This man was a upstanding
citizen and very trusted member of our community. He was caught finally when
I was 19 years old. He'd been molesting kids at a nearby school that he
lived directly across the street from. He was convicted and sentenced to 10
years in prison very close to the age of 80. He did his time in prison and
later burnt to death on a heater, which I think was only too good for him.

After the man's name was announced on the local radio station after his
arrest, my mother heard it and was just in shock, saying that there was no
way he could have done what he was accused of. Only then, did I speak up and
tell her that I hoped he got a nice long stint in the Alabama prison system
for his deeds and that YES, he was guilty and told her what he'd attempted
with me, only then, it had been a few short years ago with me. She wanted me
to explain and I did. She said that I should have told her. I told her that
there was no need, she wouldn't have believed me. I reminded her of this
same man asking if he could take me shopping years earlier and she said YES,
I could go. I told her that when she said I could go, I went and ask my
friends mother if she could go with me, she said NO, that Teresa was not
going anywhere with John Douglas. If Ms. Betty said Teresa couldn't do
something, then I sure wasn't going to do it! I went and told John that Mama
said I couldn't go with him. (This was before he'd tried to molest me.)

Never let your kids go door to door selling anything and keep your eyes and
ears open at all times. It's not usually strangers that do these things to
your children but trusted friends and family members. Just beware.

Shelly, who was very, very lucky and keeps her
kidlets very nearby.

"georg" wrote in message

Old July 20th 03, 05:27 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:31:40 -0400, "Shelly" glass angel at charter
dot net wrote:

[...]

I have a different perspective. We grew up very poor but didn't
know it; my mother made all of our clothes except underwear and shoes,
and we raised most of our food in our own garden. Our neighbors
either had young children, like us, or were in their 70's and 80's.
My neighbors simply couldn't afford to buy cookies from any of the
kids going around trying to sell them.
My mother hated the fact that the school would try to make kids sell
things to fund a trip or activity or whatever. I hated the fact I had
to ask people I had known my entire life, and whom I knew were too
poor to afford it, to buy things from me. And guess what? I never
sold any. The boy at school whose father owned a shop sold loads -
because his dad took them (cookies, chocolate bars, whatever) into
work and either customers bought them at the till or he gave them out
to customers and bought the product by the case from his son. His son
got loads of rewards at school for being the top seller - I got into
trouble because I couldn't sell any. See the problem?
Danger from perverts is a problem, but discrimination through income
isn't very nice either.

-- Jo in Scotland

ISO: Girl Scout rubber stamps Debbie Hamann Rubberstamps 2 October 20th 03 06:20 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM