Been trying to figure this out ...

Old July 22nd 03, 03:13 PM
DeB Shaw

Default Been trying to figure this out ...

How on earth does someone go about getting their designs onto an interactive
CD? Is this only something that can be accomplished by our celebrities? Did
they have to go to school for this, or is that knowledge already in their
genes?

I love making up my own designs. I hate having to eventually clear out my
PC, 'cause it's actually for our work and not for my pleasure stuff.

Once I put my stuff onto/into a CD or floppy, then it takes me forever to
locate that one particular thing I really need ... and then when I find it,
I need it in a different size.

*wah, wah* I wanna be able to put this stuff into a format, like Carol Doak
does ... ya' know, so's I can have bunches of my designs and be able to play
with the sizes, layouts, blah, blah, blah ..... *wah, wah* WHY can't I find
out how/where to do this?

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*
(Praying someone will feel sorry for me and give me a hint ... in the right
direction ... please)

-----

We can make YOU the HERO!
http://www.ProjectRescuers.com

-----

Old July 22nd 03, 04:30 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"DeB Shaw" wrote in message
How on earth does someone go about getting their designs onto an

interactive
CD? Is this only something that can be accomplished by our celebrities?

Did
they have to go to school for this, or is that knowledge already in their
genes?

snip

*wah, wah* I wanna be able to put this stuff into a format, like Carol

Doak
does ... ya' know, so's I can have bunches of my designs and be able to

play
with the sizes, layouts, blah, blah, blah ..... *wah, wah* WHY can't I

find
out how/where to do this?

You could email Carol and ask her...

Here's my guess. It's probably not all that hard, but to do something more
elaborate than saving your design in EQ or QuiltPro, you'd want to hire
someone to get it into a program that would do what you want. Certainly not
rocket science -- I used to do that kind of thing many, many moons ago. But
to do it for one person, who isn't going to sell their designs, the cost
could be a bit more than you'd want to pay.

My first recommendation would be to go the EQ/QuiltPro route. Me? I'm
actually low tech when it comes to design -- I make photocopies of various
sizes (enlarge and reduce is my friend!) and play with the sheets. Design
ideas I keep in page protectors in a binder, sorted by use (borders, blocks,
etc.) It's fast, easy, cheap, and it works. What more could I want? *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 22nd 03, 06:04 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I aim high, but not THAT high! ROFLOL
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http:\\www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
A quilt from LN?
Di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Kathy Applebaum" (Heavily snipped)

. What more could I want? *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)

Old July 22nd 03, 06:35 PM
Diana Curtis

A quilt from LN?
Di

Old July 22nd 03, 06:48 PM
Dragonfly

She probably did what you'd need to do -- hire a programmer to make
the program that displays, resizes, etc. (Or it could be that one of
the quilting design software companies, who had already hired the
programmer, contracted with her to provide content for the CD.)

For finding the design you want, you could do a simple index-type
thing really quickly with an HTML format. There would be several pages
of thumbnails and clicking on a thumbnail would open a full-sized
picture of the design. If you have PhotoShop, you don't even need to
know HTML to set this up! You'd just use the File/Automate/Web Photo
Gallery command. You put all the "stuff" in the same folder, use this
command (telling it where the folder you've put everything in, is, and
the name of the folder where you want the finished stuff to go), then
it does it! It's very slick, and there are a bunch of
already-programmed page styles you can use.

Once you find the design you like, though, you'd still have to open it
up in whatever you created it in to resize it.

Dragonfly

Old July 23rd 03, 05:12 PM
DeB Shaw

Julia in MN wrote:
I have Quilt-Pro 3 and it allows me to specify the directory in which I
save my work. I don't know why you couldn't specify a directory on
another drive instead of your hard drive. You can do all the things with
your own blocks that you can with the blocks included with Quilt Pro.
I'm sure Electric Quilt or a newer version of Quilt Pro will do even more.

Am afraid I don't own EQ or Quilt Pro. Mostly I just use good ole Windows
Paint and Paint Shop Pro, and I generally end up saving things in a .bmp
format. The clarity retained is marvelous. I can repaint or manipulate the
graphic endlessly from there, and not have to spend any time cleaning it up,
but the file size of all these bmp's gets to be quite large ... s'ok for
putting onto CD's, but floppy's will only hold a few at a time.

This computer stuff sure does teach a person that manipulation is truly an
art form in itself, eh? I don't think I'll ever see any one program that
"does it all". Thank goodness for import/export and copy/paste! *grins*

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
[...]

Kathy, I like that idea of asking Carol but think I'll keep plugging away at
this end of it awhile longer before I go interrupting her.

I can see where the cost would be tremendous in having someone do this for
me. Knowledge/skills are expensive, and usually worth it ... even if only
for the amount of time that it saves others.

I'm still keeping my distance fromEQ/QuiltPro ... although not because they
wouldn't be a joy to own and play with, 'cause I'd have a blast (and they'd
be waaaaaaay lots more fun to operate than my wild accounting program).
*grins*

Hey, I use your low tech technique as well. :^)
It amazes me that I don't mind spending my $$$ on paper items (copy paper,
books, magazines, patterns that reach out and grab me because they can't
live without me, folders, etc.), and yet I'm consistently refusing to
purchase more 'puter programs. Sometimes I just don't figure me out. S'no
wonder DH can't either! *LOL*

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*
(gotta' dash back to work ... DH will be looking for his lunchpail soon ...
and where'd I leave that mosquito repellant at?)

-----

Figure Four Bend O J Knots 1 April 5th 05 02:48 AM
Figure Four Bend Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM
"Bowline Figure Six" Alan Folsom Knots 1 October 5th 03 07:49 PM
OT Can you figure out this Bizarro game? CLP Beads 10 August 23rd 03 01:11 PM
Anyone know the easiest way to figure out how much yarn was used? Mary Needlework 6 August 5th 03 04:40 PM