experience with Gary Weiss Jewelry47

Old November 11th 11, 04:31 AM
nancy j. nancy j. is offline
Junior Member

Me too, me too. I don't know how I stumbled on this board but the name 'Gary Weiss' caught my eye. I saw the previous posts and felt compelled to join so I could add my story.

There used to be another board with several pages of complaints from Ebayers and people who went to his NY showroom but that seems to have disappeared. I was ripped off to the tune of first $8,500 for a 2 1/2 carat diamond which I specified had to be SI-1/H only. I was guaranteed by Gary that yes, he had such a stone for me and it would be returnable if I was not happy with it which I paid mostly by bank wire and the remainder by CC. What I received was graded by a NY Jewelry District "Appraiser for hire" as SI-1/H ended up being 2 grades lower than stated, 4 color grades off and the wrong dimensions were noted on the appraisal. In addition it was found to be fracture filled which was never at any point disclosed. I called to complain and Gary said send me the diamond so I returned for a refund. Upon receipt he accused ME of switching his diamond as he stated it was not the diamond he sent me....... and he used the bad appraisal HE gave me to "prove" his side that the diamond I sent back wasn't his as it was the wrong dimensions, wrong clarity and his stone did not have a fracture. He refused to refund so I filed reports with the BBB and the JVC. The lady in the legal dept at the JVC in 2001 when I filed my complaint took my information and was outraged that a diamond dealer would actually pull something like that off. She then made a call to Gary Weiss to investigate my allegations.......boy was she feed a HUGE LOAD of bull. I don't know what he told her but by the time he was done, she called me back to rip me a new one...so to speak. He lied through his teeth the whole time telling her that I was the one scamming him by switching his diamond and forcing him give me my money back for the poor quality diamond I sent him. Lets face it, he very practiced at what he does and knows how to cover his ass. By the time she (I think it was Jo-Ann in legal at the JVC) got off the phone with me, I was humiliated and in tears. "How dare I call and file false claims against such a fine and upstanding diamond dealer who is so respected in his community"...I can remember those words to this day! I could not believe that a committee whose committed to protect the public from dishonest jewelers totally fell hook, line and sinker at the words of one very smooth operator. Gary refused to send either me or the JVC the diamond and said he sold it, just to be sure he could not be caught.

To add insult to injury not only was I refused the refund but my choice was either taking another equally low quality diamond back or I could pay him MORE for the better quality that I tried to purchase in the first place. I had to pay another $3,200 for a 'better' diamond which was again supposed to be the SI-1/H I was originally promised......Can you guess how this will story will end yet????

Oh yes, not only did I pay more, I once again did not get what Gary was promising. I did get a better diamond, an SI-2/I non fracture filled but it was still not the product Gary Weiss Inc, jewelry47 was to deliver.

It does my heart good to see that he has gone bankrupt and now owes the state of New York over 2.5mil for back taxes....Karma is sooo sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john53 View Post
I too had a similar experience with Weiss. He claimed he could make a ring for me which I had shown him from another website and set it with an H-SI1 "white clean diamond." I received the ring and was immediately appalled by the terrible craftsmanship - the setting itself looked like I might have made it myself and the stone had an enormous black inclusion almost centered on the table. I contacted him immediately and he said that I could return the ring for a refund as we had discussed earlier. I sent out the ring and he sent dodgy emails for several weeks - saying the refund was "coming soon" or will be processed "next Tuesday". He finally claimed that there was no diamond in the setting when he received the package and he was not going to refund my money. I've initiated lawsuits to deal with it, but I would recommend all who are considering doing business with Weiss to go elsewhere.