Skull crucibles.

Old August 31st 03, 06:26 PM
Mike Firth

Default Skull crucibles.

Now if you put the RF stuff inside a metal box and close the door
before you turn it on, there's no problem at all. You do this every
time you warm up your coffee in the microwave oven. It's perfectly
safe.

So what's your problem?

The problem is that the amount of power in a microwave oven is relatively
small and is carefully generated back inside and carried by a wave guide to
spread out all over the inside and the box is carefully designed not to let
the stuff out. Even then a small flaw in a microwave door interlock can
produce local heating that will cook an area of flesh on the hand.
Doing high heating with RF involves building a complicated cylindrical
"antenna"/radiator and pumping a lot of wattage into a small area.
Meanwhile, on the backside of the antenna, wattages a lot higher than in a
microwave are being thrown out.
Comparing it to broadcast radio power is absurd, since the radio has to
be carefully designed to pick up milliwatts of signal and cooking is done
with levels of watts per sq.cm

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
mentioned...
Hi Ian,

You're talking about "RF Induction Heating".

RF is VERY DANGEROUS. You don't have to touch it, It will reach out and

go
after you.

It already has, if you hadn't noticed. It's literally all around you.
If you don't believe it, then take a portable radio and turn it on.
See? That proves that it's all around you.

Now if you put the RF stuff inside a metal box and close the door
before you turn it on, there's no problem at all. You do this every
time you warm up your coffee in the microwave oven. It's perfectly
safe.

So what's your problem?

Jay

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I did some googling, and found remarkably little, and the one hit on
google-groups doesn't quite seem relevant.

In brief, these are things in which you pile a heap of powder, run

cooling
water through the coils surrounding it, then turn on a large amount of

RF.
Handy for heating things to insanely high temperatures without needing
a crucible that can withstand the temperatures.

Can anyone point me at any helpfull books?

I became interested after finding a brief description of the process

of
making
Cubic Zirconia, and it seems like a fun project.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian
Stirling.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@

Old September 2nd 03, 12:50 AM
Mike Firth

There is a book I stumbled over that discusses the history and development
of making synthetic stones.
I tried to check it out on the Dallas Library catalog, but they are down
for the weekend. I didn't keep notes as it was just a fun read for me.
Seemed a good way to turn a big fortune into a small fortune.

--
In sci.physics Uncle Al wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

I did some googling, and found remarkably little, and the one hit on
google-groups doesn't quite seem relevant.

In brief, these are things in which you pile a heap of powder, run

cooling
water through the coils surrounding it, then turn on a large amount of

RF.
Handy for heating things to insanely high temperatures without needing
a crucible that can withstand the temperatures.

Can anyone point me at any helpfull books?

I became interested after finding a brief description of the process of

making
Cubic Zirconia, and it seems like a fun project.

Google
"skull melting" 545 hits

Ah, I was looking for "skull crucible", which there are only 45 hits,
mostly copies of each other.

snip
Why don't you do electrocrystallization of tungsten bronzes? You can
use a reasonable furnace. Old J. Chem. Eds. have it all laid out in
several ways.

Thanks, lots of very usefull info.

Tungsten bronze tends to be rather less usefull for gemstones

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian

Stirling.
---------------------------+-------------------------+--------------------

------
Two fish in a tank: one says to the other, "you know how to drive this

thing??"

Old September 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Ian Stirling

Mike Firth wrote:
There is a book I stumbled over that discusses the history and development
of making synthetic stones.
I tried to check it out on the Dallas Library catalog, but they are down
for the weekend. I didn't keep notes as it was just a fun read for me.
Seemed a good way to turn a big fortune into a small fortune.

This would more be as a project, without any great hope of making actual
money.
I've got most of the bits I'd need (large bag of RF powertransistors, ...)

If you happen to find it again, I'd appreciate the ISBN/...
Thanks.
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Get off a shot FAST, this upsets him long enough to let you make your