Wonder Under vs. Heat & Bond vs. ???

Old March 1st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Wonder Under vs. Heat & Bond vs. ???

I use whatever kind is in the remnant bin at the walmart or fabricland
store. LOL

--
Christina Doucette
Petawawa, ON, Canada

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
ups.com...
Let's start a debate! I always used H&B cuz WU has a nasty habit of
detaching off the paper and making me crazy- H&B stays nicely attached
to it's paper. WU is less tempermental with the iron's temperature-
H&B will refuse to cooperate without the perfect temperature. WU is
harder to remove the paper and shreds the edges of my appliques (I
REALLY hate that!)- H&B peels off nicely. H&B gums up the needle when
you sew thru it- WU doesn't mess up the needle. I don't like the
fusible web without paper attached. IS there a perfect fusible???
Does it cost less than an arm and a leg and can I find it in my small
town in an emergency? VBG

Leslie (still making those postcards!) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 1st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

.. . . (just howling). Got me, Taria, you got me good. That's funny.
I checked my glue stick and it says "no trans-fat, no calories, no
vitamins", and, the best one yet, "keep away from children."
No time for that here. DH is trying to figure out how many chocolate
cookies he has to eat to get the recommended quota of chocolate per day.
Polly

"Taria" wrote, in part You know, as the fat nazi I have to ask what the
glue stick calories
and fat content are ; )

Old March 1st 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:27:57 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I don't like any of them. (How's that for being crabby?) Gummy needles
really interfere with my plans. Plus, of course, we don't know what the
eventual, years down the road results of fusibles will be. My quilts get
used to pieces and that's not a concern to me.
If I need something to hold still until I can stitch it, I put just the
tiniest nothing speck of plain old "Elmer's" glue stick under it. Washes
out and is edible if you take a notion. Polly

I'm with you on that Polly!
I never use the stuff except for certain bits of garment sewing, and
then only on heavy pieces that are supposed to stay rather stiff.
Of course as a result I ended up useing a roll of the stuff for better
than ten years. And that I bought second hand to begin with, and just
tossed the remainder as unusable. You'd have thought such things
wouldn't have a use by date.

Now that I have a can of that spray baste stuff, from the mattress
drama, I am looking at it and wondering if a spritz of that would be
good for holding fussy bits in place.

NightMist

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old March 1st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hear, Hear!! I do use it but as little as possible, and never for my
applique. I understand why others like it and I use it in classes, but it's
just not my thing!!
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

k.net...

Old March 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Mine says" Acid Free"
Does this mean you won't get heart burn? Gotta try it. Mine doesn't say
anything about children or adults...just says it's all purpose but it was
sold in the 'fabric glue' packaging. Now I wonder if it really IS safe for
fabrics????????????

Butterfly

ink.net...

Old March 1st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly, that glue stick sounds like the perfect diet food )
Gee, a new business coming down the pike - flavored glue sticks for
multi-purpose uses: a snack when you just need "a little something to
hold you over 'til the next meal", and their original use of holding
two pieces of whatever together!

Ginger in CA
duckin' and running!

Old March 1st 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I dunno - I don't use any fusible stuff. I just sew 'em down 'til they
whimper!

Ginger in CA

Old March 1st 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I like WU, and don't have the problems most of the time *if I do the
following:
Don't buy too much of it at a time. And never fold it. I try to keep
an old bolt board around, roll the WU when I buy it (usually 5 yards at
at time) then put it on the board when I get home.
Always let cool completely before removing the paper. And don't start
peeling at the edges. I "scratch" a line down the center of the paper
with a straight pin, and peel from there.
I never get the temp right for H&B, always one way or the other. And I
have had bunches of it. Also feel that even the light H&B is stiff and
plastic-y.
Steam-a-Seam is supposed to be good, but that is one that I always have
problems with coming off the paper before I use it. (But with any of
them you can lightly fuse it back to the paper with an applique pressing
sheet, or Teflon sheet or such.)
There is also the use of fusible sprays, both temporary and permanent.
Keep a box handy to spray in (lay your applique in the box, wrong side
up, spray entirely in the box. KK2000 is good because you only need a
dab, and has a recommended distance of 6 inches. Has a higher
proportion of adhesive to propellant than the others too.) I keep KK2000
for small things (it also goes away with heat, so be careful. But a
great way to clean it up!) I use 505 for spray basting quilts.

there is also a wash away fusible web by someone.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 1st 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A hint for the 'gummy' needle problems, with anything. Keep a piece of
felt in a ziploc bag. Keep it dampened with either Sewer's Aid or
TriFlo. When the needle seems to be gummy or draggy, (like through some
of the white on white fabrics, or the "confetti dot" sequin stuff) Run
the unthreaded needle through the felt a bit. Cleans the needle, and
coats it to reduce friction and prevent the buildup. You can reuse the
felt a lot before reapplying the lubricant if you keep it in the bag. G
You can also use this lubricant on your scissor blades when cutting the
stuff too.

Pati, in Phx.

Polly Esther wrote:

I don't like any of them. (How's that for being crabby?) Gummy needles
really interfere with my plans. Plus, of course, we don't know what the
eventual, years down the road results of fusibles will be. My quilts get
used to pieces and that's not a concern to me.
If I need something to hold still until I can stitch it, I put just the
tiniest nothing speck of plain old "Elmer's" glue stick under it. Washes
out and is edible if you take a notion. Polly

Progress in spite of heat Debra Quilting 12 August 1st 05 11:06 PM
OT - Story - In Praise of Central Heat Kathy N-V Beads 7 January 10th 05 05:23 AM
heat and emeralds...??? Also undoing bezels and hammerset? Des Bromilow Jewelry 2 May 11th 04 01:37 AM
Heat and Bond lite KJ Quilting 11 March 11th 04 02:00 PM
Heat Setting (DH's ~ you got to love 'em) Charlotte Hippen Quilting 3 August 20th 03 01:51 PM