***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

Old December 5th 05, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default ***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

Just out of curiosity -- I really wondered what everyone thinks about
all the "Happy Holiday" songs and etc? I saw some schoolchildren on tv
the other night singing what SHOULD have been "We wish you a Merry
Christmas" ... but now it's all "We wish you Happy Holidays". And then
Saturday Night Live did a spoof on the whole thing too. Frankly, I'm
apalled. Have people forgotten Christmas is the celebration of the
birth of Christ? Or is it all now just a reason to give presents? Oh
and my step-daughter came to visit from college this weekend, and
she's upset that history books no longer can print A.D. or B.C. -- now
it all has to be CE or BCE (common era and before common era). Sorry,
I'll shut up now. Except to say MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jennifer/Poetta

www.ladybuglane.com
Old December 5th 05, 11:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

wrote in message
Just out of curiosity -- I really wondered what everyone thinks about
all the "Happy Holiday" songs and etc? I saw some schoolchildren on tv
the other night singing what SHOULD have been "We wish you a Merry
Christmas" ... but now it's all "We wish you Happy Holidays". And then
Saturday Night Live did a spoof on the whole thing too. Frankly, I'm
apalled. Have people forgotten Christmas is the celebration of the
birth of Christ? Or is it all now just a reason to give presents? Oh
and my step-daughter came to visit from college this weekend, and
she's upset that history books no longer can print A.D. or B.C. -- now
it all has to be CE or BCE (common era and before common era). Sorry,
I'll shut up now. Except to say MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jennifer/Poetta

www.ladybuglane.com

Happy Christmas to you too!

We are even more apalled over here, as we no longer have "Christmas" lights
but "Winter" lights in the streets - for fear of offending the ethnic
religions!

None of us ever objected to them celebrating THEIR festivals, after all!
Political correctness gone completely mad!

Pat P

Old December 5th 05, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Christmas will always be Christmas to me - no matter what some butt-kissing
politicians say. This political correctness thing has gone too far ...
celebrate what you want, but leave MY Christmas alone. My opinion only.
Merry Christmas to all.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. .................

Old December 5th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"clancyc" wrote in message
.. .
Christmas will always be Christmas to me - no matter what some
butt-kissing
politicians say. This political correctness thing has gone too far ...
celebrate what you want, but leave MY Christmas alone. My opinion only.
Merry Christmas to all.

Sharon (N.B.)

I agree whole heartily with what Sharon said! "Celebrate what you want, but
leave MY Christmas alone"! I've heard the same opinion expressed by leaders
of the Jewish and Muslim communities. They don't want the Christmas
celebration to be renamed the Holiday season any more than they want the
names of their religious celebrations changed.

The annual Christmas tree that is sent to Boston from Nova Scotia (in
appreciation for the help Boston gave to the Province following the Halifax
explosion in 1917) this year was renamed the Holiday tree by the mayor of
Boston. This caused such a furor, lead by the grower of the tree, it
reverted back to Christmas tree. I watched the televised lighting of the
tree and it was definitely a *Christmas* tree! ......and the songs was
definitely *Christmas* songs!

Mavia
.................................................. ................

Old December 5th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"clancyc" wrote in message
.. .
Christmas will always be Christmas to me - no matter what some
butt-kissing
politicians say. This political correctness thing has gone too far ...
celebrate what you want, but leave MY Christmas alone. My opinion only.
Merry Christmas to all.

Sharon (N.B.)

LOL!!! I think that all this "Political Correctness" has shot itself in the
foot - it causes far more resentment than it cures! If the ethnic minorities
don`t like our "Christmas" festival which is OUR tradition in OUR country -
they know the answer!

Pat P

Old December 5th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

wrote:
Just out of curiosity -- I really wondered what everyone thinks about
all the "Happy Holiday" songs and etc? I saw some schoolchildren on tv
the other night singing what SHOULD have been "We wish you a Merry
Christmas" ... but now it's all "We wish you Happy Holidays". And then
Saturday Night Live did a spoof on the whole thing too. Frankly, I'm
apalled. Have people forgotten Christmas is the celebration of the
birth of Christ? Or is it all now just a reason to give presents? Oh
and my step-daughter came to visit from college this weekend, and
she's upset that history books no longer can print A.D. or B.C. -- now
it all has to be CE or BCE (common era and before common era). Sorry,
I'll shut up now. Except to say MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jennifer/Poetta

I think that the whole commercial Christmas celebration has gotten so
far away from what Christmas is really about (to me) - i.e., the birth
of Christ - that the secular holiday shows very little relationship to
the religious one. I think it's a church/state issue now. There's the
church holiday, about Christ's birth, and the social/political/economic
celebration of "warm fuzzies/good will toward man." The two have very
little relation to each other.

And is this necessarily a bad thing? (This is a serious question; I'm
thinking out loud, so to speak, and not trying to jerk anyone's chain.)
Society benefits in many ways from the celebration, no matter the basis.
And perhaps for Christians, it's not a bad thing to have to "tell the
story" to reclaim for themselves the original meaning of Christmas?

Then again, it could be just what happens when holidays become
institutionalized and celebrated beyond the original population. Weren't
some of us making the same complaints about Veterans Day and Memorial
Day - that they've lost their original meaning as the population is
farther and farther removed from the events and experiences that
precipitated the celebration? Didn't Halloween start out as something
altogether different, and now it's merely a day to dress up and have fun?

And a thought that just popped into my head: how come nobody complains
at Easter that they're not greeted in stores with "Christ is Risen!" "He
is risen indeed!"

Sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com
Old December 5th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Sara" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:18:47 GMT, wrote:

I really wondered what everyone thinks about
all the "Happy Holiday" songs and etc? I saw some schoolchildren on tv
the other night singing what SHOULD have been "We wish you a Merry
Christmas" ... but now it's all "We wish you Happy Holidays"

OK, that's really lame. BUT: as much as some people might like it
to be so, there is no state sponsored or sanctioned religion in the
US. For those of us who are not Christian, this time of year can be a
royal PITA. Xmas (and that is a legitimate abbreviation) is
Everywhere and takes over Everything. Bowdlerizing carols is not the
way to make us feel more included. I would love to put the Christ
back in Christmas and put it back in church where it belongs.

Pax in terra,
Sara

I feel very much the way Sara does. As a non-Christian, I rather enjoyed
seeing, and even participating in, Christmas celebrations with friends over
the years but now it's become one big money making, commercial venture that
starts too many months in advance of the holiday.

I would like to see everyone celebrate whatever they want, however they want
and wherever they want, but leave me out of it and stop trying to cover all
bases just to be politically correct. There will always be someone who
thinks it's not enough and calling it a holiday celebration simply won't
change that fact.

Lucille

Old December 5th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Lucille wrote:

but now it's become one big money making, commercial venture that
starts too many months in advance of the holiday.

When you think about it, the state had nothing to do with that. All it
does is give everybody the day off with pay.

If it upsets people that it's too big and commercialized, they should
blame Retail USA--also not something the state gets involved in.

--
Lizard-Gumbo

http://community.webshots.com/user/moonlightmojo