Request for your extra needles and hooks

Old February 4th 04, 10:47 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Default Request for your extra needles and hooks

Hi all,
Just got this via email from Afghans for Afghans:

Greetings,

** Special Request: Double-Pointed Knitting Needles + Fine Crochet Hooks
for
Kabul Women **

If you have extra double-pointed needles and fine crochet hooks that need a
good home, please read on ...

We are searching for 20-25 double-pointed needle sets (5 needles per
set) up
to size 9 and fine and small metal crochet hooks in good condition. If you
have incomplete needle sets, we can probably match them together.

We are asking for needles and hooks to do dual duty that we think you will
appreciate:

#1 Use at Stitches West

afghans for Afghans is having a booth at Stitches West, Oakland, CA, on
Feb.
19-22. We'd like to have a supply of double-pointed knitting needles to
show
visitors the two-color cast-on and other techniques that are used in
knitting
Afghan socks. We are presenting a demo at the Marketplace demo area on
Friday
at 1 pm. (If you are attending, please visit and say hello and see our
Afghan
knitting examples, educational materials, photos, try on the burqua,
rest your
feet, etc.)

#2 For Women in Kabul

After Stitches West, we will mail these same supplies to a program in Kabul
where the women knit, crochet, sew, learn how to read, receive health
care and
shelter, etc. Afghanistan still has few material goods.

Shipping from here to there is expensive (plus complex when dealing with
containers and customs), but sending these small tools offers a lot of
value for
the weight. In the past, we have mailed two small boxes of knitting
needles and
crochet hooks that were well received.

Mailing costs about $25 for a 4-lb box to Kabul. If you would like to
give funds to defray mailing costs, that would be gratefully accepted --
and we accept tax-deductible donation checks made to: "afghans for
Afghans/Agape Foundation" (or we can use PayPal.)

Please note, this special needle and hook shipment is *not* part of our
regular on-going deliveries of cartons of hand-knit and crocheted
blankets and garments, which
are loaded on to huge containers with other relief supplies (courtesy of
our
relief agency partners World Concern and the American Friends Service
Committee),
and which are generally sent to displaced Afghan families in northern
Afghanistan, not Kabul.

Ann has personally met the head of this women's group and knows the
supplies
will be used. We are only sending these two types of tools at this time --
knitting
needles or larger crochet hooks in a care package at a later date,
depending
on requests and postage funds.

Please email us at afghans4Afghans at aol dot com for the address on
where to
send your double-pointed knitting needles, small metal crochet hooks, or
support for the postal service.

We would like to have the needles and hooks by Feb. 13, although if you
tell
us what you are sending, we can plan and take a couple extra days.

Old February 5th 04, 01:25 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Just to let everyone know that I don't just post this stuff out without
helping, I plan on taking my Michael's 40% off coupon from this
weekend's paper and buying a set of needles to ship to Afghans for
Afghans.
Just something to consider.....
;-)

/J

#2 For Women in Kabul

--
Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old February 5th 04, 07:41 PM
Joan

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclab_001.html

The post office offers a global service which is a flat rate and
considerably cheaper than the amount cited.

Above web site gives information on sending materials to Afganistan.

Joan