Aha! read your Sharpie

Old January 3rd 05, 03:25 AM
Polly Esther

Default Aha! read your Sharpie

There's an earlier discussion about what to use to mark on Press and Seal
and the name Sharpie comes up here and there. My mug of markers holds 4
Sharpies. Two of them say Not for Cloth. The other two aren't talking.
I don't know if that means the ink might bleed or gnaw holes in the
cloth, just don't know. Please tell us if you've found a safe mark for the
PnS. Having the ink transfer to the thread or cloth would really annoy me
and I am trying so hard to be nice in '05. Polly

Old January 3rd 05, 03:44 AM
JS

I like to use Crayola washable markers. They have come out of everything
for me. I used them on Press & Seal, and they did not transfer at all. It
did take the ink a minute or so to dry after I marked the Press & Seal. I
prefer not to have the transfer at all, but at least with these markers I
know the marks will come out in the wash.

HTH.

Jennifer in Florida

hlink.net...

Old January 3rd 05, 08:35 AM
Listpig

What they mean by "not for cloth" is that they're subject to washing out,
not being permanent on fabric.

What that means in practice is that they fade when washed---being marked is
permanent, but being well marked isn't---so don't use them as permanent
fabric markers. (Sharpie does make a black-only laundry marker called
Rub-a-Dub that *is* permanent no-fade on fabric).

So since they don't wash out entirely, but don't stay dark and clearly
written, the upshot is that there really isn't much reason to ever approach
fabric with a Sharpie. g

--pig

On 1/2/05 21:25, in article
.net, "Polly Esther"

Old January 3rd 05, 10:37 AM
Roberta Zollner

I use pigma permanent pens to mark the P&S, let it dry a minute, and have
never had any ink transfer. For use with very dark fabric, I use a permanent
marker in metallic silver with a fine point. No transfer with that either.
Roberta in D

Old January 3rd 05, 01:40 PM
Pat in Virginia

Plus, using Crayola is just plain fun ... brings back
happy memories! Thanks for the tip Jennifer in FL. I
was in Gainesville over Christmas BTW.
GO HOKIES! PAT

Old January 3rd 05, 05:56 PM
Kathy in CA

I use the fine point permanete ink sharpie for mark press and seal. Works
fine as long as I dont accidently draw lines outside the p&s! Even then cold
water and dish soap will take it out if you do right away
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff: