Xstitch and stitches per inch and fabric

Old August 3rd 03, 03:16 AM
Beth Katz

Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

I'd like to know from the experts, what's the limit on stitches per
inch that you can do comfortably. I know that 14 count seems to be
the most popular, but do people actually do 16, 18, 20, etc.?

I've done 18 count over two for effectively 9 count. It felt huge.

Normally, I prefer between 25 to 32 count over one or two as needed.
My most recently handled project is over one on 32 count.

I've used 36 count linen and 40 count silk gauze. Now that my eyes
are getting older, I take out my contacts to get better up-close
vision. But then it's easy to see.

--
Beth Katz
Old August 3rd 03, 04:23 PM
Boohoo1971

I know that 14 count seems to be
the most popular, but do people actually do 16, 18, 20, etc.?

Yep. some of us do higher counts. Right now I am working on over 2 on 40
count and over one on 32 count.

large of a piece can you do using one piece of background fabric?
Up to the width of the fabric leaving 6 inches for the frame. Aida, for
example is 43" wide, linen Aida 59". The linen I usually use is 55". You
might be interested in the web site www.nordicneedle.com or in getting a free
catalog from them. Their number is1-800-433-4321. This is a 108 page catalog
for stitching, floss, fabric and tons of fantastic books, accessories, fabrics,
you name it. I order from them a lot and also use it as a reference
guide....that is where I found the width of the fabrics. Do get the catalog.
Boo

PS just saw your address...think we have talked before.

Old August 3rd 03, 07:34 PM
Judith Truly

Well. right now I'm working on a 48 count waste canvas Over 2) and it seems
to be working out OK. I started with a magnifier but if I stitch outdoors I
don't need it.
"Jacquard_The_Ripper" wrote in message
Hi the

I'd like to know from the experts, what's the limit on stitches per
inch that you can do comfortably. I know that 14 count seems to be
the most popular, but do people actually do 16, 18, 20, etc.?

Also, how wide are the fabrics that we use as background? i.e. how
large of a piece can you do using one piece of background fabric?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Old August 3rd 03, 07:41 PM
Judith Truly

You're absolutely right- Your eyes CAN be trained-even if, as I have, you
have ocular implants. I have noticed the difference as I work along in the
magnification I have to use to work on higher stitch counts. In fact, most
of the time I don't use any at all now. My eyes have simply adjusted.
It's the same with reading. Most of the time I don't need glasses at all. I
do use them for distance tho' when I'm driving altho' I'm not required to
wear glasses for driving.
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:
I'd like to know from the experts, what's the limit on stitches per
inch that you can do comfortably. I know that 14 count seems to be
the most popular, but do people actually do 16, 18, 20, etc.?

Ericka Kammerer responded:
Sure. Personally, I don't do anything larger than 18 and
have worked (over one) as small as 40 stitches per inch. Working
that small takes some care, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable
(for me--obviously, it's probably a real challenge for those
whose eyesight isn't great! ;-)

If you're talking about cross stitch: From reading the posts through
the years and communicating with embroiderers through email, my own
forum, and a few in person, the most often claimed, anecdotal reasons
for not doing things in finer counts than 14 is eyesight, fear,
simplicity/ease, availability of supplies, and not knowing what else is
available.

Many who think they couldn't see finer work simply haven't trained their
eyes. You have to get used to seeing it - but your eyes - if not
visually impaired - do adjust. Of course, with age, that becomes more
of a problem, and windows with lots of light (too sunny can also be a
problem) can make all the difference. I have learned to have several
different types of needlework available so that, no matter the light, I
can do *something* related to needlework.

I know this isn't *exactly* what the conversation is about, but I'm in
that mode. So, if you never make an effort at trying to do something .
. . you'll never be able to do it. It simply takes time to learn. You
have to practise. Too many, like piano-player wannabes, think all they
need is a couple lessons and they'll play like gee whiz on two wheels.
Ain't gonna happen. Some have to practise more than others.

Dianne

Old August 5th 03, 07:21 PM
Joan Erickson

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:
The trip was just OK. It was pretty sad to see my VDMIL in such mental
disarray :-(. She has an inoperable brain tumor and she's only able to stay
with a conversation for about 15 minutes.
Naniboujou was a lovely place, right on Lake Superior. Unfortunately, none
of the rooms have air conditioning and our room was right over the kitchen!
Not only did we have to deal with the heat but the *huge* kitchen exhaust fan
was almost directly below our window! Not the best "vacation" we have ever
had to say the least! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Ooooo, sorry to hear that, Mary! Emotional as well as environmental
stress--*definitely* not a vacation. Well, here's something just for

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.HeritageShoppe.com/heritage/temp/joan1.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)