Anyone know the easiest way to figure out how much yarn was used?

Old August 2nd 03, 02:20 AM
Mary

Default Anyone know the easiest way to figure out how much yarn was used?

Hi Group: I am looking to find out the easiest way to determine how
much thread a project takes to make. I can't really tell by looking at
my skein of yarn because sometimes its not always a new skein I've
used off of. Oh and a special note to Caryn in your response to my
post about animal slippers on July 29. The post was not meant to be a
"blatant" advertisement, I was just excited about getting the new line
finished and wanted people to see it. Sorry if I offended you, it
wasn't posted to offend.( Mary
Old August 2nd 03, 02:56 AM
Gillian Murray

The perfect person to ask this of is Jim Cripwell. His "hobby horse" is
letting the stitcher know how many stitches one color takes, and therefore,
if you know your stitching rate, you can work out how much floss is
needed.,. Am I almost right, Jim???

Gillian
om...

Old August 2nd 03, 03:17 AM
L. Kelly

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
| Hi Group: I am looking to find out the easiest way to determine how
| much thread a project takes to make. I can't really tell by looking at
| my skein of yarn because sometimes its not always a new skein I've
| used off of. Oh and a special note to Caryn in your response to my
| post about animal slippers on July 29. The post was not meant to be a
| "blatant" advertisement, I was just excited about getting the new line
| finished and wanted people to see it. Sorry if I offended you, it
| wasn't posted to offend.( Mary

Hi Mary,

A trick that I used to use when I did a lot of crochet work was to attach a clothespin to
the yarn in either 5 or 10 yard lengths, depending on the size of the project. (5 yds for
thread to make doilies and 10 yd for yarn and larger projects.) Then you just keep track
of how many times you move the clothespin.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old August 2nd 03, 02:19 PM
Ellice

On 8/1/03 9:20 PM,"Mary" posted:

Hi Group: I am looking to find out the easiest way to determine how
much thread a project takes to make. I can't really tell by looking at
my skein of yarn because sometimes its not always a new skein I've

If you're using yarn, there is a pretty standard coverage rate. This link
will give you informaton. Basically, you look at the area covered (sq
inches), and how many strands it was stitched with - and can convert that
into yards of yarn.

In an LNS that carries NP and yarn by the hank, where the shop pulls strands
for you, they will have a reference. It's what you have to do to help
customers get the right amount.

Anyhow, here is a link to a site with a good chart and information on usage,
coverage:
http://spinayarn.com/needlepoint%20tips.htm

ellice

Old August 2nd 03, 05:16 PM
Mary

Hi L. Kelly, that's a great idea. Instead of using 5 to 10 yards
because its a much smaller project I will just use one yard at a time.
Thanks again. )

Old August 4th 03, 09:41 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Mary wrote:

Hi Group: I am looking to find out the easiest way to determine how
much thread a project takes to make. I can't really tell by looking at
my skein of yarn because sometimes its not always a new skein I've
used off of.

I assume you mean that you want to know how much yarn a finished project
took, for future reference. If so, weigh it on a postal scale. Or, if
there are multiple colors, weigh all your skeins before and after.

Barbara
Old August 5th 03, 04:40 PM
Liz Hampton

I would think that it is only to be used as a GUIDE. Obviously, people
stitch differently, but it is always nice in a chart - especially large
projects - when it recommends two skeins instead of one. It isn't so much
the .02 cents of floss, as whether we should buy that extra skein. Yes,
floss is reasonably cheap, if you are using regular floss. Some are more
expensive, though, and it would be nice to know ahead of time how much it is
going to cost us to kit something up. Right now, it would be difficult for
me to spend .33 to replace a skein of DMC. If you're not interested in
finding something out, as certain people are always telling us, don't reply
to the thread! Read other things or turn the computer off and stitch. :-)))
Liz from Humbug

I agree. And I really donīt see the point in trying to save the 0.02
cents worth of floss.

Jacinta

animaux wrote:
Right. I certainly don't get all in a dither if every stitch can be counted.
don't stitch to the point where I have to manipulate the needle to bring the
thread through. I stop usually just short of about 2 or 3 inches.
Otherwise,
IMO, the stitches used with the end of the strand thin out and don't lay
uniform
with the other more plump part of the strand.

Figure Four Bend O J Knots 1 April 5th 05 02:48 AM
Ultra-Punch needle. Easiest to use. Terriel Marketplace 0 September 28th 04 07:38 PM
Figure Four Bend Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM
"Bowline Figure Six" Alan Folsom Knots 1 October 5th 03 07:49 PM
OT Can you figure out this Bizarro game? CLP Beads 10 August 23rd 03 01:11 PM