A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Garden Quilt Update

Old August 15th 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Garden Quilt Update

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello all,
There will be no pictures of my quilt as I own no camera, not even a throw away and guess what in Oct/Nov. issure of Quilk Quilts 2014, on page 76/77 instruction on makeing 4 flying geese at a time.
I am not a person to chain sew as this always gets me into trouble down the line but thanks for the idea.
Have only 5 more blocks to go on the Flower Garden quilt top and then just have to square it up and sew the blocks together. Would not mind making another in the future but no for charity which my quilts are for. I am now an expert on flying geese. Laughing here.
Sandy in Idaho
Ads
Old August 15th 14, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green
external usenet poster

Perhaps Sandy means knotting the loose ends at the beginning and end of
each seam?

Is that what you mean Sandy? If so, there are many ways of securing the
stems without having to know each end of them all.

Pat on the green
On 11/08/2014 20:42, Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-flying-geese/

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...lt-Pattern.htm

I searched for 'flying geese in quilting' and got lots of hits.

If you are machine piecing, most of us use a few back stitches to start and end the line of stitching on each sewn piece of fabric. If you are hand piecing, most use a few stitches in place on top of each other to end and that works to start as well, but to start most use the 'quilter's knot'- here's a video of how to do it:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt..._mail_srchcomp

I still don't get "tying all those strings" you mentioned???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:30:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Old August 16th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
Yes, it takes two squares on top of a rectangle piece. After sewing I tie each end before cutting off the ends which make a flying geese(goose.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old August 16th 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green
external usenet poster

Yes, Sandy - I have been away for a few days, and forgot I should read
all the messages before answering or posing a question! If that's the
way you prefer doing your 'seam finishing', fine. We probably all have
our favourite ways of doing various things. Strictly speaking, if a
seam is going to be sewn across with another piece, it doesn't need to
have the end fastened off securely - but I've never been convinced of
that myself (though I know it's true, I can't bring myself to risk it!)

Pat on the green
On 16/08/2014 16:01, wrote:

Hello Pat,
Yes, it takes two squares on top of a rectangle piece. After sewing I tie each end before cutting off the ends which make a flying geese(goose.
Sandy$ in Idaho