Where to get stainless steel signet ring "blanks"? (driving me nuts!)

Old October 27th 03, 03:30 AM
Jeff S.

Default Where to get stainless steel signet ring "blanks"? (driving me nuts!)

First, please go to this site:
http://www.gordonsmasonicrings.com/catalog1.htm just so you know what
I'm talking about. This guy and a few others out there sell fraternal
and trade-themed, stainless steel, signet-style rings. It's obvious to
me that what they do is take a tie tack, enameled button or some
similar item with the appropriate logo on it, grind the pin back off of
it and then use industrial adhesive to fasten it to the flat of the
stainless steel ring. It makes for a nice product.

They probably have nothing at all to do with making the stainless
body of the rings themselves, which means there has to be some place
out there selling these ring "blanks". Since I want to make one of my
own, where can I get them and what do they cost? I have scoured the net
for as long as I have scoured for anything but I have come up empty
handed so far. Just where do they get 'em from?

Please post as well as e mail a repy to me, as my provider's newsgroup
service can be rather finicky. My e mail is .
Of course, remove the X's before sending and thanks for understanding
and for any help rendered.

Be well,

Jeff

Old October 27th 03, 03:43 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On , in rec.crafts.jewelry "Jeff S. " wrote:

They probably have nothing at all to do with making the stainless
body of the rings themselves, which means there has to be some place
out there selling these ring "blanks"

It's not obvious in the web site catalog pages. but there is a link there, and
clearer mention of it on the home page, to a page where he's got shots of making
his own stainless rings. It looks like, as you say, be buys the die struck
emblems and glues them on (he talks about his glue on that page too). But he
pretty clearly states that he's making the stainless ring blanks by drilling a
hole in solid stainless rod, and shaping the rest of the ring by hand, mostly
just with a bench grinder, from the look of it.. Look near the bottom of his
home page where he says that, and he's got a link showing some photos of his
shop, where that's also shown to a degree. here's the link to that page:

http://www.gordonsmasonicrings.com/facility.htm

Personally, I'd suggest you do as he does, if you don't want to pay his actually
quite reasonable price for a hand made ring. You might even be able to go to
the hardware store, buy a heavy duty nut in stainless, and file and grind it to
a ring from there, depending on the ring size you need, and whether you can find
a nut that's big enough. I did a wedding band once in stainless that started
from a two dollar hardware store nut. Was a cheap source. the stainless I used
happened to be a decent corrosion resistant grade intended for marine hardware,
so I figured it was just fine for that use. It's still out there with a happy
enough owner, several years later, so I guess it was a decent guess. There are,
though, probably, better grades of stainless for such uses if you want to
actually spend a little money on the stock, and time figuring out what to buy.
(or use the grade the fellow in your web site mentions on his site.)
Old October 27th 03, 06:17 AM
Abrasha

"Jeff S." wrote:

It's obvious to
me that what they do ...

SNIP

They probably have nothing at all to do with making ...

SNIP

You seem to know what you are talking about, or are you just too cheap to pay
the rather reasonable price of $79.00 for one of these rings.

Since I want to make one of my
own, where can I get them and what do they cost?

I'll sell you a blank for $10.00. Add a supplemental charge of $85.00 for being
so cheap. Plus shipping of course. I'll send you some extra material, say
about 3" of 1" OD 303 or 316 stainless would do nicely. Although you are
probably a size 14 or so, so you would need a larger diameter blank, which would
cost you an additional $25.00. If you want 17-4 PH for a nice finish, that
would cost you an additional $39.98 If you want me to bore a finger hole, add
$90.00, and for shaping the outside add $150.00

I have scoured the net
for as long as I have scoured for anything but I have come up empty
handed so far. Just where do they get 'em from?

Try http://www.gordonsmasonicrings.com Maybe they'll send you a blank, after
all they don't make em, so why wouldn't they sell you one? It would be pure
profit, without any effort.

Oh, BTW Mr. Wiseguy, Gordon shows the process of making the stainless blanks at

http://www.abrasha.com