Half square triangles

Old July 12th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Default Half square triangles

I've just started a Christmas wall-hanging which is completely half
square triangles. Its a Christmas Tree so the right side is a mirror
image of the left. All the fabrics are dark - no pales or whites.

My dilemma is which is the best way to press the seams - to one side or
open. The quilting will just be plain cross hatching.

Its a design I've been meaning to do for ages and came originally from
Cheryl in Australia. I often wonder how she is - is anyone in contact
with her? I know she left the group because of eyesight problems.

All advice appreciated.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside
Old July 12th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 12, 12:29*pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
I've just started a Christmas wall-hanging which is completely half
square triangles. Its a Christmas Tree so the right side is a mirror
image of the left. All the fabrics are dark - no pales or whites.

My dilemma is which is the best way to press the seams - to one side or
open. The quilting will just be plain cross hatching.

Its a design I've been meaning to do for ages and came originally from
Cheryl in Australia. I often wonder how she is - is anyone in contact
with her? I know she left the group because of eyesight problems.

All advice appreciated.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

I'm an open-seam presser. Especially with HST's. Trying to get those
puppies to lay flat with seams one side or the other is a nightmare!
Old July 12th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I am pressing more and more open, in order to get a flatter top. With
the quilting pattern you plan to use, I would most definitely want it as
flat as possible. If I were doing it, I'm sure I would get little zigs
or zags as the cross hatching line went over a seam bump.
I look forward to seeing this, Sally. I sort of remember it from 'then
ago'.

I, too, wonder about Cheryl. Does anyone know?
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
I've just started a Christmas wall-hanging which is completely half
square triangles. Its a Christmas Tree so the right side is a mirror
image of the left. All the fabrics are dark - no pales or whites.

My dilemma is which is the best way to press the seams - to one side or
open. The quilting will just be plain cross hatching.

Its a design I've been meaning to do for ages and came originally from
Cheryl in Australia. I often wonder how she is - is anyone in contact
with her? I know she left the group because of eyesight problems.

All advice appreciated.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 12th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Since it's a WH that won't be subject to stress, my advice is to press
open. You get a smoother surface.
Roberta in D

Old July 12th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Thank you everyone - open it is!

Just wonder which Christmas it will make its debut - there are an awful
lot of hst's. Most can just be done mass production, but I think the
tree will need to be done with brain engaged, and it doesn't do that
often, or very well!

I collected the ornaments and bell garlands to go on it about 3 years
ago. My idea is that when I am old and decrepit my decorating will just
be unrolling various lap quilts (already done), table runners and wall
hangings, and I'll have instant Christmas and, even better, instant
clearing away and minimum storage! No more hauling giant plastic boxes
and tree up into the loft.

Old July 14th 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:29:24 -0500, Sally Swindells wrote
(in article ):

I've just started a Christmas wall-hanging which is completely half
square triangles. Its a Christmas Tree so the right side is a mirror
image of the left. All the fabrics are dark - no pales or whites.

My dilemma is which is the best way to press the seams - to one side or
open. The quilting will just be plain cross hatching.

Its a design I've been meaning to do for ages and came originally from
Cheryl in Australia. I often wonder how she is - is anyone in contact
with her? I know she left the group because of eyesight problems.

All advice appreciated.

Usually I press to one side, but for this, I think I'd press them open.

Maureen