Wal-Mart

Old July 4th 11, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default Wal-Mart

Our local Wal-Mart is putting a fabric department back in! There really
isn't room for it anymore, so they pushed all the "snack aisles" together,
to squeeze it it! So far, they just have notions and a lot of ribbon, but
the racks are set up for fabric. Should be interesting to see what they put
in!
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old July 4th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I've been watching for changes at our WalMart, but so far haven't seen
any sign of fabric coming back. I have to admit I seldom bought fabric
there when they had it, but I do miss looking at it!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old July 4th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I don't buy much quilting fabric there either, but it was handy for buying
interfacing, flannel, etc.

Old July 4th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

My new neighborhood Walmart had a limited fabric department. The Walmart
that was built in Fallon, Nevada a couple years ago still has a full fabric
department. The people in the town of Fallon said no to a new Walmart
without fabric. Hurray for them!!

I'm thinking of moving to Indianapolis before winter. What about Indy's
Walmarts?
--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks Nevada USA

Old July 5th 11, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've never really understood the "Wal-Mart gets rid of the fabric dept."
decision. I didn't buy fabric there either. Much. Well, I did always stop
by their bargain bins for fabric that would be good for the needy babies'
receiving blankets. What I've missed was a reasonable supply of thread.
Nothing exotic - just good old Coats & Clark.
I checked the closest W-M last week and their pitiful box of thread had
a dismal supply. Maybe 3 colors and no black or white. Ours has miles of
plastic storage bins and junk furniture. Makes one wonder if their buyers
or corporate office is smoking funny stuff. Polly

Old July 5th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Alice

A liittle over a year ago Walmart built a new store in Long Beach MS.
I went to see the new store and just about fainted when I saw the
fabric dept. A full dept. Bolts of fabic even. It was set up like
it used to be years ago. Didn't buy anything but looked a lot.
Maybe they are starting to listen to their customers. Do you think we
could get them to start thinking of buying anything but Chinese again.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old July 5th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

They buy that cheap chinese stuff because that is what consumers
buy. Cheap and disposable. I think the reduce reuse recycle
stuff is just not flying with people and their wants and needs.
If we start buying/demanding better and American made stuff
maybe that would change. I don't think there is one thing in
the LL Bean catalogue that is American made anymore. It
all used to be really good quality stuff that wasn't a worry to
buy. Now it is hit and miss. The amount of disposable furniture
that is sold is pretty disgusting to me but people buy it.

I'm glad you have more access to more fabric. I know you folks
down there have had a heck of a time since Katrina. I wonder
how much of our fabric is remotely non-imports?
Taria

Old July 6th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I sure hope so! People in this area would be happy to pay for decent
fabric! I'll have to go check it out again to see if they've finished
stocking the department.

Old July 6th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Wal-Mud

Howdy!

Hobbs batting is made in the U.S., you know,
right down the road in Waco, Tx.
http://www.hobbsbatting.com/
And they use lots of Texas-grown cotton, Texas being the #1 cotton
growing state. ;-P

Wally-world ...- they still open?
I haven't been to one in years.
Shop there? Won't. Don't have to, can't make me.

R/Sandy

Old July 7th 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Our Wal-Mart has put in an entire aisle of pre-cut fabric. Most of it
is cheap and feels rough to the touch. It's definitely cheap Chinese
stuff. Just like most of the rest of what WM sells. In order to get
American-made goods, we will have to pay more. Many of us save every
penny we can because they are becoming harder to get and must stretch
farther. It's a nasty circle in which we find ourselves.

Maybe our grandchildren will find a way off the ugly carrousel.

Sunny

Wal-Mart Changes Cow Whisperer Needlework 6 February 11th 07 07:18 AM
Wal-Mart fabric Boca Jan Quilting 40 January 29th 07 02:08 AM
Wal-Mart Yarn Forward Yarn 15 February 27th 06 12:51 PM
Elvis at Wal-Mart! Pat in Virginia Quilting 3 February 10th 06 09:36 AM
15 Things to do at Wal-Mart hfw Quilting 24 February 5th 05 04:58 PM