'Tis the annual posting.....

Old May 9th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default 'Tis the annual posting.....

On 5/8/13 5:03 PM, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 5/8/2013 5:01 AM, sara wrote:
On Tue, 07 May 2013 22:08:17 -0400, Gillian Murray
wrote:

Mayo, MW...give me real butter any day!

But not in tuna salad...

You can keep your tuna, Sara. I'll take ham salad, thank you! Made with
Miracle Whip, not the tasteless mayo.

turning this into a real mayo/MW war!

that does work - at summer camp we made spam salad with pickle relish,
MW and yellow mustard. Now I kind of want some!

Old May 13th 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 5/9/2013 9:24 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

that does work - at summer camp we made spam salad with pickle relish,
MW and yellow mustard. Now I kind of want some!

Sounds similar to a sandwich I make that uses the above except with a
can of corned beef in place of the Spam. Put some on on a bun, butter
the outsides (top & bottom), put on a hot waffle iron and squash and
heat until the bun is toasty & filling is hot. Yummmmmmmm!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old May 16th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Belinda Alene

On Tue, 07 May 2013 20:14:00 -0400, Susan Hartman
wrote:

On 5/5/2013 4:03 PM, Karen C wrote:

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was
manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars
of the condiment scheduled for delivery on May 5th in Vera Cruz, Mexico,
which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop
in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever
delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to
New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly
awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was
so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they
still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known,
of course, as Sinko De Mayo.

And now you know where the name originated!

DD volunteers weekly at the SPCA, and since Cinco de Mayo fell on a
Sunday she was there to celebrate Cinco de Gato....all rescue cats only
a $5 adoption fee. I thought that was pretty clever!

Changing the subject - rather, following up on the second line of
inquirty - lately I hear raves about Duke's mayo....opinions? I've never
tried it - we don't use much mayo at our house, and we've switched to
the olive-oil based kind. But dang, Duke's is expensive compared to
store brand!

sue

I have simple tastes and prefer 'Blue Plate' mayonnaise over Kraft, Helmans or
store brand. I grew up being fed Miracle Whip in place of mayonnaise. Once
discovering that Miracle Whip was not mayonnaise I did a taste test of the
brands available in my local grocery. Now I really dislike Miracle Whip having
finally had real mayonnaise.

I no longer use as much mayo as once I did, having lost interest in the extra
calories. Yet summer is coming so it is time to begin making egg salads for
cool lunch on hot days.
Old May 17th 13, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 16 May 2013 17:45:00 -0400, Belinda Alene
wrote:

I no longer use as much mayo as once I did, having lost interest in the extra
calories. Yet summer is coming so it is time to begin making egg salads for
cool lunch on hot days.

I've gone to cream cheese and sour cream for my devilled eggs. Still
put mayo in my sandwich salads -- I think. It's been a while since I
made one.

One of these years I'm going to try the recipe for "cooked dressing"
in an old home-ec book I found. I remember Mom making boiled
dressing, but don't remember eating it. The book suggests it for all
the uses we now make of mayo, and treats it as a fundamental recipe --
white sauce and cornstarch pudding had taken over that role by the
time I took home ec.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 17th 13, 10:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

wrote:

I no longer use as much mayo as once I did, having lost interest in the extra
calories. Yet summer is coming so it is time to begin making egg salads for
cool lunch on hot days.

I've gone to cream cheese and sour cream for my devilled eggs. Still
put mayo in my sandwich salads -- I think. It's been a while since I
made one.

One of these years I'm going to try the recipe for "cooked dressing"
in an old home-ec book I found. I remember Mom making boiled
dressing, but don't remember eating it. The book suggests it for all
the uses we now make of mayo, and treats it as a fundamental recipe --
white sauce and cornstarch pudding had taken over that role by the
time I took home ec.

For a truly awful taste try Heinz "Salad Cream" - reminiscent of the
home-made "mayonnaise" served at my old school (1955-59), utterly
revolting and with a thin layer of vinegar on top.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old May 19th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

On Wed, 08 May 2013 18:55:21 -0400, Fran
wrote:

Duke's is made by the same company as Hellman's. For the life of me,
I cannot tell the difference. I buy whichever is cheaper......

a little late to the party.... just got a new computer and I am still
fooling with the settings and catching up on newgroups...

but anyway I think Duke's has more of an 'oil' taste while Hellman's
has more of an 'egg' taste. (I ofter just taste it straight out of
the jar)

Rich
Old May 24th 13, 06:36 PM
DarrenBailey DarrenBailey is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen C View Post
[...]

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator

Finished 4/6/13 – French Country wedding dress (JBW)

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas

Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

COPYRIGHT 2013 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
Thanks for sharing this useful information. I think most people are not aware about National Day of Mourning and its history

Last edited by DarrenBailey : May 26th 13 at 06:38 AM.

The Bi-Annual Chore Terri Quilting 37 June 26th 07 04:26 AM
The annual reckoning Nann Hilyard Quilting 10 January 12th 06 07:30 PM
My annual reckoning nbhilyard Quilting 26 January 17th 05 10:52 PM
OT addendum on my annual NightMist Quilting 1 July 19th 04 09:49 PM
The annual tally Nbhilyard Quilting 16 January 9th 04 02:22 PM