OT - Pig Farmer Murders in Canada

Old August 3rd 03, 11:33 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I, personally - in my opinion - feel that prisoners are not "coddled".
Some of the prisons in this country (U.S.) are close to being barbaric
and inhumane.

Many in prisons aren't guilty of "serious" crimes. Many in prisons
aren't guilty, period. Many are retarded and/or have severe psychiatric
problems. Many guards and prison authorities are as jaded and abhorant
as those they guard.

Many crimes are crimes of passion, rather than planned.

I'm not condoning "crime" and I'm not condoning murder. I'm not one of
these bleeding hearts who subscribe to the "hostess twinky" theory. But
I'm also not for the 3-Strikes law which puts low-end, petty thieves in
jail for 50 years. There's absolutely NO justification for that.

There's a middle ground somewhere between "I think they should all rot
in hades and never see a doctor and stay for years in solitary!" and,
"We need to let people go because daddy was mean."

Too often, we think of these things in black/white issues. They're
often not.

Dianne

Old August 5th 03, 05:23 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

While reading this thread I remember a book I read a few years ago. It is
call Aftermath by Charles Sheffield. They had a very interesting way of
dealing with people convicted of a crime and sentenced to time in prison.
Essentially if you are sentence to prison you are put into a very deep
sleep and hooked up to a machine that feeds you and takes care of you
bodily functions. You are then put into a drawer in a warehouse with all
the other prisoners. You age normally. When your sentence is up you are
removed from the machine, woken up and released. There is no time off for
good behavior. There is no parole. You just wake up X years olders and
the world and your family have moved on. There is no death penalty. If
you are sentenced to life (or death) in prison you are hooked up to the
machine, placed in the drawer and allowed to sleep until you die. If you
are later found innocent you can be awoken and released.

This is actually a very small part of the book. It is SF/Fantasy and a
quick read for a fairly thick book. I recommend it to any SF fan.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Old August 6th 03, 12:28 AM
clancy

You vengeful?? Never!!! That prison sounds like the perfect place for
Homoka and the lawyer - since they're not going to be zapped - I'll never
understand why he wasn't convicted of .... something. Maybe next birthday
Karla can have a little rat with her wine.

Sharon (N.B.)
wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:19:04 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

Sheena wrote

I believe our prisons in Canada are by and
large, kinder, gentler places. I am aware that the US has some that
perhaps are too unkind and inhumane.

Not the Regina Correction Center. It is Dickensian in the older parts,
mold and slime on the walls, rats.
Dawne

In that case - send Karla there, this minute, and while you are at it,
forget where you put the key. Also (sorry Dawne) send the lawyer who
concealed the tapes that got her the deal and lose his key too.

See Sharon, I can be vengeful in the extreme, but really feel if we
execute them, we somehow descend to their low level and I could not
bear to think that we made a mistake with an innocent person ! Plus
I believe that it is probably harder to get a conviction in the first
place if jurors feel that a guilty verdict could involve execution.

Sheena