Gift idea help!

Old December 20th 03, 08:14 AM
Cina

Default Gift idea help!

Tonight, I finally finished that horrible quilt with the glowbug
thread. Hooray! I'll get around to pics of it eventually, but for now
I'm just going to bask in the gladness of it being DONE!

I sincerely thought I wouldn't be able to finish this quilt, but a
lovely woman who teaches at the LQS offered to loan me her Singer 201.
(She actually bought glowbug thread and took it home and tried it in a
few machines before she found one that would work well with it in the
bobbin.) I'm so completely grateful, and I'd really like to give her a
thank-you gift, but...

Fabric- what if I buy her some floral print and she likes geometrics?

Accessories- if she's got 20+ machines, wouldn't she already have
bobbin racks or books or cutting mats?

Food gifts- I'm always a little wary of giving sweets or nuts because
you can never tell who has diet restrictions or allergies.

Gift certificates- I think they're kinda impersonal, and it would be
weird if I got her a GC for the LQS she works for!

Any ideas? I'd like to spend no more than $20-30ish, and I'd love if it
was sewing-related, but am willing to consider non-sewing gifts too.

Cina
Old December 20th 03, 10:49 AM
Patti

Hullo Cina
What about flowers?
I love them all the time, any time; and I'm sure most people do. If you
got an arrangement ready-made-up, she would have nothing to do but just
admire it. It wouldn't take too much time to organise, either - and
should come in your price range? It would here. I wouldn't get a
potted plant, though!! Some people can't abide taking care of them -
just an added chore.
She has access to virtually any sewing thing invented - not just in her
shop, but in their wholesale catalogues. It would be difficult to get
something innovative.
..
In article , Cina
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 20th 03, 11:03 AM
Roberta Zollner

A basket full of FQs would make my heart go pitter pat, regardless of what
was actually in it! Fabric is more like textured paint, once you cut it up,
much of the printed pattern is no longer relevant. You could even go for a
bunch of textured solids, useful to every quilter! It's always a pretty good
rule to give a gift you'd like to receive. And if she hates any of that
fabric, it's always good for swaps!
Roberta in D

Old December 20th 03, 11:39 AM
Helen in MN

The fabric is a great idea- with the fat quarters. How about a set of
handdyes in shades? they sell them in a pack at my LQS. Love those colors!
Helen in MN

Old December 20th 03, 11:45 AM
Roz Agulnik

This lady is very difficult to buy for! I use this idea when I'm really
stuck and for the person who has everything - if they have a particular
cause (cancer, diabetes, etc.) that they have reason to be interested in or
a particular charity they support, make a donation in their name. They will
get a card notifiying them about the donation, but not the amount. Hope
that suggestion helps. Have a happy holiday, Roz in Montreal

Old December 20th 03, 11:55 AM
Kate Dicey

Cina wrote:

[...]

How about one of the mini rotary cutters? Even if she has one, it's one
of those things that a spare is always handy!

Or a collection of FQ's? I had a gift pack of 6 toning/coordinating
ones done up with a pretty ribbon.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 20th 03, 12:36 PM
Polly Esther

Your wonderful lovely woman sounds busy to me. Perhaps, with a bit of
sleuthing, you can get some insight and give her a gift of time - which by
my definition would be cooking supper for her. In any manner that you can
handle. Such as, call one morning, tell her you're bringing supper for her
and what does she like on her pizza. Wal-Mart has a carrier (about $3) and
while you're there you can find some ribbon that matches for a happy bow. A
basket, a pretty one, with a sack of hamburgers or a family-size fried
chicken dinner? I don't know your skills but how about lasagna and a neat
loaf of bread from the bakery? And a pie. Lemon sounds good.
Maybe I need to go start breakfast. This idea is causing severe hunger.
Polly

Old December 20th 03, 12:36 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I collect little antique sewing thingies.... a funny little pin cushion
that's shaped like an upholstered rocking chair; little sewing chests
about 5 in. tall and 3 in. wide with drawers; and old marking device for
hems; and old iron that heats on a stove; a pretty jar full of wooden
spools with various colored threads on them; old sewing baskets; etc. I
found most on eBay, but surely there's an antique shop near you?
Antique linens are also lovely..... feed bags..... and totally OT does
she wear earrings and what type, size, etc.? Good luck and I think this
is a lovely thought on your part for a very kind and generous quilter.
But what would you expect of a fellow quilter anyway? We *are* some of
the nicest people around, aren't we? :-)))))

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old December 20th 03, 09:03 PM
Coleen

Cina --

Congrats on finally finishing the quilt. What a wonderful woman to loan you
her machine. Could you find out if she is a coffee or tea drinker and then
fix her a basket with several different types???

Love in Stitches,

Coleen
Queen of Loving Stitches
(thinking it is about time for a nice cup of hot tea)

Old December 23rd 03, 02:56 AM
Pat in Virginia

Cina:
Congrats on finishing the quilt! Your acquaintance is very
thoughtful! Speaking from my own experience, I really do not
think it would be weird to buy her a gift certificate for LQS
where she is employed. One year Santa Claus put a GF from my
LQS/work place in my stocking and my family was amazed! The neat
thing was that every time I used the GF I got my employee
discount. So, if you buy her a GF, she will get a bigger bang for
the buck than if you buy the item at normal cost. You could wrap
it creatively in an inexpensive tin or some such container. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Cina wrote:

Tonight, I finally finished that horrible quilt with the glowbug
thread. Hooray! I'll get around to pics of it eventually, but for now
I'm just going to bask in the gladness of it being DONE!

I sincerely thought I wouldn't be able to finish this quilt, but a
lovely woman who teaches at the LQS offered to loan me her Singer 201.
(She actually bought glowbug thread and took it home and tried it in a
few machines before she found one that would work well with it in the
bobbin.) I'm so completely grateful, and I'd really like to give her a
thank-you gift, but......cut...

Gift certificates- I think they're kinda impersonal, and it would be
weird if I got her a GC for the LQS she works for!

Any ideas? I'd like to spend no more than $20-30ish,

Christmas gift idea -- Christian men Buck General Crafting 0 November 23rd 04 07:04 PM
That gift idea Dr. Sooz Beads 10 September 4th 04 04:26 PM
Great Baby Gift Idea Suzuki Marketplace 0 August 22nd 04 05:41 PM
All u need kids crafts-great gift idea! U Can Guess Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 11:07 AM
GREAT B-day gift!! Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 January 8th 04 02:55 AM