OT computer help needed

Old February 11th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT computer help needed

I'm having a problem with my keyboard going dead. If I reboot the computer,
it will work again....maybe for days or maybe just for a few hours or
minutes. I have NO idea what could cause this. DS bought me a new keyboard
after the first one went bad.....(but maybe it was only as "bad" as the new
one!) The new one worked right away after being plugged in....but it
started acting up not long after throwing out the old one. I can't
determine any certain thing that makes it crap out. I once thought it would
go dead after I'd mistakenly hit two keys at once, but sometimes it is
"dead" after sitting idle for a while. Any ideas? Class? Bueller?
Bueller? Thanks for any ideas.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 11th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm having a problem with my keyboard going dead. If I reboot
the computer, it will work again....maybe for days or maybe just
for a few hours or minutes. I have NO idea what could cause this.

Flat battery, if it's a wireless one?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 11th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

how long since you cleaned it?
mine needs a good clean at least twice a year, more often if i'm in the
mood.
do you eat there often?
dropping crumbs without realizing it clogs up the keys sumpin awful.
try turning it toward you, yes over on its keys, then tap it on the desk.
see what falls out. if theres crumbs it might just need a good clean.
i remove every key, clean each one, just use a non fluffy kitchen towel.
then also clean the board of any crumbs etc.
the only trick is replaceing all the keys in the right place.
oh i use a long thin flat edged screwdriver to lever the keys off their
spots.
fwiw,
j.

"KJ" wrote...

Old February 11th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Check the connection. There could be a tiny spec of dust in there just
enough to be a gremlin. Make sure your drivers are up to date. Other
than I'm not sure.
Take Care
Joanna
Alberta

Old February 11th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

No....not wireless. Rats. That would have been an easy fix, huh? But
thanks for playing!! :-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I'm having a problem with my keyboard going dead. If I reboot
the computer, it will work again....maybe for days or maybe just
for a few hours or minutes. I have NO idea what could cause this.

Flat battery, if it's a wireless one?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk
====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
fonts

Old February 11th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

good point, Joanna.
wipe that connection clean the plug it in again.
worth a try, if it works, saves bucks for stash.
j.

"Joanna" wrote...

Old February 12th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

This is a brand new keyboard. It's doing the same thing the old one did
when I kicked it to the curb. No crumbs or dustbunnies inhabiting it yet.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 12th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Does the plug (where it plugs into the computer) fit snuggly? or does it
wiggle a lot? With no cord in it -- look for dust... and see if you can
"wiggle it" with your fingernail.

Sounds like the cord might be losing the connection with the "innards" of
your computer.

Just another thought...

--
Kate in MI

Old February 12th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

ohhhhhhhh, hmmmmm, i'm thinking on it somemore then.
will get back to ya if i come up with anything.
hope ya didnt toss your old keyboard as it is obviously not the keyboard.
new driver perhaps? you can download those online.
hmmmmmm.
j.

"KJ" wrote...
This is a brand new keyboard. It's doing the same thing the old one did
when I kicked it to the curb. No crumbs or dustbunnies inhabiting it yet.
--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

\
"jeanne-nzlstar*" wrote...

Old February 12th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I'll see if I can get dh to got back there and check. I can't quite do that
yet. Seems like it should be something simple like that. I may have
already had ds try doing that earlier. But maybe he didn't get it seated
tightly.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi