OT computer help needed

Old February 12th 09, 12:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default OT computer help needed

KJ wrote:
I know....it's that silly? Most of the plug ins are in the back. DUH! Why
not on the sides? There are a couple USB connectors on the front....but not
enough. My serial number is on the side though. At least they got that
right!

Putting the connectors in the back keeps all the cables in the back and
looks a little neater. It also forces you to keep the computer a bit
away from the wall in back to allow the fan to exhaust. Connectors are
also less likely to be bumped and accidentally loosened on the back. But
it does make it inconvenient when you have to get at them.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 12th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rick[_3_]

On Feb 11, 6:07*pm, "KJ" wrote:
I'm having a problem with my keyboard going dead. *If I reboot the computer,
it will work again....maybe for days or maybe just for a few hours or
minutes. *I have NO idea what could cause this. *DS bought me a new keyboard
after the first one went bad.....(but maybe it was only as "bad" as the new
one!) *The new one worked right away after being plugged in....but it
started acting up not long after throwing out the old one. *I can't
determine any certain thing that makes it crap out. *I once thought it would
go dead after I'd mistakenly hit two keys at once, but sometimes it is
"dead" after sitting idle for a while. *Any ideas? *Class? *Bueller?
Bueller? *Thanks for any ideas.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz

I've seen it where the pins in the computer hole where you plug in
your keyboard are getting worn out. As it heats up, they loosen more
and finally fail causing your keyboard not to work. As they cool down
due to lack of use, the keyboard works again. The problem will be
intermittent forever. If it is a USB connection, try a different
port. If tis a PS/2 adapter (the round plug), you can get a PS/2 to
USB adapter to try to see if it will work in another port. The
adapter shouldn't cost more then a couple bucks and is less then
buying a new computer or another new keyboard.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old February 12th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I want one of those. Next time I get to go shopping I think that will be on
my list.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
One of the nicest things DH (our family geek) ever gave me was a USB
adaptor, sits up on the desk where I can see it, easy to plug stuff
in, has about 6 sockets. So I have THAT plugged into the hard-to see
back of the machine.
Roberta in D

Old February 12th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

All perfectly reasonable. Until you need to get at that one certain
connection. So for 98% of the time, the connections on the back are just
fine. And to be fair, at this moment in time.....the two USB ports on the
front of my Dell are unreachable for me! There is a strange flap that I
can't seem to reach underneath while sitting on my chair (the CPU is on the
floor). The design on the front of this 'puter has been a pain since I got
it many years ago.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 12th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

Be careful what you plug into a hub. My computer would not recognize my
wireless keyboard every time unless plugged into computer directly. It
is nice for my various dongles and ipod charger though, along with
thumbdrives.

KJ wrote:
I want one of those. Next time I get to go shopping I think that will be on
my list.

--
Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\
Old February 12th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rick[_3_]

remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message

One of the nicest things DH (our family geek) ever gave me was a USB
adaptor, sits up on the desk where I can see it, easy to plug stuff
in, has about 6 sockets. So I have THAT plugged into the hard-to see
back of the machine.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 03:31:02 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I know....it's that silly? *Most of the plug ins are in the back. *DUH!
Why
not on the sides? *There are a couple USB connectors on the front....but
not
enough. My serial number is on the side though. *At least they got that
right!- Hide quoted text -

I've seen them for sale on tiger direct for $5 or $6 also. Make sure
you get the adapter going the right way.

Regards,

Rick Boesen
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com
Old February 12th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

This is the one I want.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/9223/

It only has four ports, but Hey! it looks cool.

NightMist

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:45:17 +0100, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:

One of the nicest things DH (our family geek) ever gave me was a USB
adaptor, sits up on the desk where I can see it, easy to plug stuff
in, has about 6 sockets. So I have THAT plugged into the hard-to see
back of the machine.
Roberta in D

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 03:31:02 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I know....it's that silly? Most of the plug ins are in the back. DUH! Why
not on the sides? There are a couple USB connectors on the front....but not
enough. My serial number is on the side though. At least they got that
right!

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 12th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default against the wall OT computer help needed

Howdy!

Dryer hoses: ACKKKKK!
"In a house this size, they couldn't give another foot in the
washroom?!!!?"
I'm really too ...old, wide, chunky, decrepit! to jump or squeeze
behind the dryer to re-attach the hose or pull out a rag that slipped
back there; the boys are grown, tall guys w/ long arms that can
just about reach back there... but they don't live here anymore.
"Next house...!"

Computer: iMac sits on the desk, a couple of cords run out the back,
along the wall to the electrical outlet; that's it; no "Up against the wall,
redneck mother!" in this house. ;-D
http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/

Btw, why do so many sewing machines back up against the wall? Maybe
a foot or 2 of space behind the machine -- I don't get that.
But then, I've read too many suspense novels to sew w/ my back
to the center of the room or towards the door. G

Cheers!
R/Sandy

On 2/11/09 8:15 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

Who decided that important things must be shoved against a wall - impossible
to reach or see? Frankly, I think we should keep our computers as well as
washers and dryers out in the middle of the room. If that's unacceptable,
maybe we could just put them on something like wheelbarrow tires. Or how
about walls that can be kicked out of the way by a baby kitty?
I first wondered about this madness decades ago when my washing machine
dealer wanted to know the serial number on my washer. He said to put a
mirror against the wall behind the washer and read it off to him. Mirror
image, right? Why isn't the model/serial number on the front? When
quilters take over the world, things will be different. And much more
beautiful. Polly

"KJ" wrote I'll see if I can get dh to got back there and check. I can't
quite do that
yet. Seems like it should be something simple like that. I may have
already had ds try doing that earlier. But maybe he didn't get it seated
tightly.

Old February 12th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sandy Ellison wrote:

Dryer hoses: ACKKKKK!
"In a house this size, they couldn't give another foot in the
washroom?!!!?"

My house is *small* -- and if I have to get behind my washer or dryer
there's going to be a problem, since there isn't room to pull them out
and still be in the room with them. :O

Computer: iMac sits on the desk, a couple of cords run out the back,
along the wall to the electrical outlet; that's it; no "Up against the wall,
redneck mother!" in this house. ;-D
http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/

My MacBook sits on my desk most of the time, but I love that I can move
it wherever I want/need it.

Btw, why do so many sewing machines back up against the wall? Maybe
a foot or 2 of space behind the machine -- I don't get that.
But then, I've read too many suspense novels to sew w/ my back
to the center of the room or towards the door. G

I had mine up against the wall until just before Christmas -- but that
wall has a lovely window so that I could look out at what was going on.
Now that I have my new cabinet (oh, do I *love* my cabinet from Tracey's
Tables!), I sit sideways to the window. I can still see out, though not
as easily; but Bisou loves it, since now she can see out from her perch
on the rocking chair (*her* rocking chair, in her opinion!). LOL! I have
to admit that I love the new arrangement, too, since I can see the door
to the room and the TV now. The only disadvantage is that the ironing
board isn't as accessible, as its only possible location is behind the
sewing cabinet, jammed up against the closet. I'll put up with that,
though, to have this cabinet!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old February 12th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

what type of computer is it?
mine also has a flap on the front to hide the usb ports.
the flap lifts up. i dont use the ports but i do lift it now and then to
clean out the dust that accumulates.
mine is a dell, about 3.5yrs old now, iirc.
oh, on the floor might mean even flap lifted will be inconvenient to use the
ports. oops.
j.

"KJ" wrote...