Princess Diana Sweater Patternsn

Old July 29th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Default Princess Diana Sweater Patternsn

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:
suzee wrote:

IIRC, the copyright is still valid for 30-some-odd years from the
original date, and it can be renewed for another 30-some-odd if the
original copyright holder does it.

Or the copyright may have reverted to the designer when the magazine
folded.

That doesn't mean that the original copyright still doesn't last for
30-something years, right?

Right, it's even longer....
Old July 29th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

DA wrote:

Oh there are some pattern designers who will sue people who distribute
their knitting patterns elsewhere, even for free. There are huge
threads on copyrights on some of the web based forums too.

sue

Basic rule of protecting anything, don't upload it. Fair use rules vary
from country to country as do copyright laws.
DA

I'm a moderator on one of the forums and we have to remind people not to
copy the entire pattern into their posts to ask for help. They say 'but
it's free!', however the site owners can get into trouble with the
original site it was published on if there was no permission granted.

sue
Old July 29th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Jul 29, 6:34*am, "DA" wrote:
"Murielle" wrote in message

Hi!

Ages ago I offered to email these patterns to anyone who wanted them,
unfortunately there was a problem with one of the pages and then my
scanner broke down.

The good news is that my scanner is finally fixed, I've re-scanned the
seven pages of patterns and saved them as jpegs. *So, if anyone is still
interested email me at

a-m-l-s *at *s-h-a-w dot c-a

Murielle

I have been following this thread with great interest. If the patterns to
which you are referring include a red sweater with a Koala on the front, it
was designed by Jenny Kee.
It is my understanding that when a designer submits a pattern for
publication, the copyright of said pattern is transferred to the publisher.

Old July 29th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_3_]

Interesting thread... Now here I am to stir the pot a little
IIRC, Lady Diana wore the sweaters and a few months later the patterns
were published in a U.S. magazine. "But", was it the actual designer
of the Lady Di sweaters that had the patterns published in the
magazine or were they knock-offs? I guess it just seems a little
strange to me that a designer would publish the patterns in a magazine
rather than as patterns in a book or that she would not continue to
make the sweaters, sell them and make a substantial profit.

I suppose whether or not the sweaters are knock-offs doesn't really
matter in regards to copyright...or does it?

Just tossing around some thoughts...

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

A concept/technique can't be copyrighted. For example, if you knit a
cardigan sweater, you are knitting a "design" from something that has be
arrived at by a set formula. This formula can't be copyrighted, however if
you add an "original" modification, then it can be copyrighted, With
knitting patterns changing the yarn, gauge.the stitches used or some other
minor modification seems too nullify the copyright. Sit down and look at
knitting patterns which include schematics, you will find many of the
designs are the same basic shapes, just executed with different materials.

Knockoffs are usually made with cheaper materials and less quality than the
original so they aren't "the same" as the original.

For the purpose of this thread, if you use a pattern from books such as
Paton's Back To Basics, knitting it with the same yarns, buttons etc. then
it is copyrighted. It is the same as a published pattern. However. if you
use the "basic shape", add a ruffle, change the ribbing, etc. then it is
your work and you can copyright it.

Many designers get their start by contributing to magazines. Those who come
to mind are Nicky Epstein and Kim Hargreaves, Lily Chin and Annabel Fox who
have gone on to publishing their own work.

Many of the well known fashion designers got their start by designing for
large fashion houses such as Chanel or Dior.

DA

Princess Diana Sweaters Murielle Yarn 6 August 23rd 09 07:22 PM
China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 29th 08 10:21 AM
China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 8th 08 07:39 AM
Diana C ~KK~ in B.C. Quilting 1 June 16th 04 08:55 PM
OT Diana in hospital Shirley Shone Beads 16 August 4th 03 04:42 PM