forming a large diameter tube

Old June 8th 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Permafacture

Default forming a large diameter tube

I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!
Old June 8th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"Permafacture" wrote in message
I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

kiln workers wouldn't do this. tubes are blown out in a glory hole. you can
take a flat piece, heat it in a glory hole, and use the technique called
'roll-up' to make it into a tube, but again, that would require blowing
experience.

Old June 8th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Permafacture wrote:
I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

I'm no expert but I have seen pictures of large tube shaped parts
slumped from flat. The parts had a length maybe 5 times, from memory,
greater than the diameter, so what you require may be possible without
the roll up technique. The roll up sounds like the reverse of the old
tcchnique for producing flat glass where a cylinder was blown and split
an unrolled to form a flat sheet.
Old June 11th 09, 07:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb[_4_]

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 00:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Permafacture
wrote:

I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

Good luck. With a lot of practice you might pull it off. Most likely
you will wind up with a big mess and some burns.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?

No, I would either blow it (not likely to be called a tube), have it
blown, or buy it from a lab glass manufacturer.

What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?

I have a 3x5' and a 4x8' but I wouldn't even try to slump a tube.

can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

Yes.

Jack

thanks!

Old June 11th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

wrote:

[...]

thanks!http://www.lambertsglas.de/

The link below

http://www.lambertsglas.de/
has a video how big tubes are made.

Slumping over ceramics: The glass contracts more than ceramics while
cooling,
so it will break or at least press itself permanently around the ceramics.
Steel tube with a separator is better.

-lauri
Old June 13th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Permafacture

All very helpful answers.

thanks!

Forming Pleats louisecroukamp Yarn 4 January 30th 09 06:16 AM
Size vs Diameter of Cordage Donald Watland Knots 1 September 29th 06 08:47 PM
Free forming ,, something Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 10 May 16th 06 08:52 PM
we have a nice hug list forming Queen of Squishies Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:48 PM
Request of glass tubing diameter 8mm Ottica Turi Glass 18 May 18th 05 10:14 AM