Bobbin case

Old February 13th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

Default Bobbin case

The thread wont go freely around that part where the needle thread catches
it. It snags somewhere and the motor can't overcome it now. The parts are
all clean and still look brand new. :*(

I've very upset..........

Old February 13th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

What machine do you have? Does it have an automatic thread cutter?

Naomi

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old February 13th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Marie Dodge wrote:
The thread wont go freely around that part where the needle thread
catches it. It snags somewhere and the motor can't overcome it now.
The parts are all clean and still look brand new. :*(

I've very upset..........

Have you replaced it according to the manual? It often feels/looks like
there is only one way the bobbin case can go in, but believe me it's
possible to put it in wrong, it looked right overall, but when I checked
each little bit I found it was possible to put it in so one crucial part
was slightly the wrong place compared to another. So take it out, clean
again, oil. Remove the bobbin from the case, check you have it in the
right way, that the thread is pulled through the tension correctly, then
put it back in - following the instructions.

If that doesn't work, it's time to take it to a sewing machine service
place. However I think it's unlikely that it would go from apparently
being fine to snagging such that it completely doesn't work, you'd more
likely get a gradual deterioration. The situation you describes sounds
very much like the time I got it in very slightly wrong.

Cheers
Anne
Old February 13th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
. ..
What machine do you have? Does it have an automatic thread cutter?

I have a NewHome we bought in 1991 or 92 but it was seldom used. What is an
automatic thread cutter? It has a grove on the foot shaft to cut threads or
I use a small scissors. It appears the problem was at the top where the top
thread wasn't feeding freely because of a ball of tangled fibery stuff.
I'll have to check that more frequently in the future. I hope that was the
only thing wrong. I haven't turned it on yet this morning.

Old February 13th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
Marie Dodge wrote:
The thread wont go freely around that part where the needle thread
catches it. It snags somewhere and the motor can't overcome it now.
The parts are all clean and still look brand new. :*(

I've very upset..........

Have you replaced it according to the manual?

Oh yeah, I keep the manual in a hand's reach of the machine since I'm not
that familiar with it.

It often feels/looks like
there is only one way the bobbin case can go in, but believe me it's
possible to put it in wrong, it looked right overall, but when I checked
each little bit I found it was possible to put it in so one crucial part
was slightly the wrong place compared to another. So take it out, clean
again, oil. Remove the bobbin from the case, check you have it in the
right way, that the thread is pulled through the tension correctly, then
put it back in - following the instructions.

It seems the problem was at the top where there was a ball of fibers wrapped
around the thread and snagging in the guide, stopping a free flow of thread
from above. Also the tension thing had changed itself to almost none at
all. Someone else mentioned this happening.

If that doesn't work, it's time to take it to a sewing machine service
place. However I think it's unlikely that it would go from apparently
being fine to snagging such that it completely doesn't work, you'd more
likely get a gradual deterioration. The situation you describes sounds
very much like the time I got it in very slightly wrong.

Watch the thread at the top also! I have no idea what caused that snaggy
ball of fibery stuff to collect around the thread at the guide.

Cheers
Anne

Old February 14th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

An automatic thread cutter is when you push the button the sewing machine
cuts both top and bobbin thread for you. A very handy feature to have.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

. ..

Old February 14th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

Marie,

Have you completely rethreaded the machine? That has helped me many times.
Has it been oiled?

Does the thread try to make it around and then snaps? Does the motor seem
to strain?

I'm so sorry this has happened--how frustrating!

Hope you get it figured out SOON.

Lenore

Old February 14th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
An automatic thread cutter is when you push the button the sewing machine
cuts both top and bobbin thread for you. A very handy feature to have.

Never seen or heard of such a thing. It sounds like a real time saver as
well as being handy. I only know a few women here now and none of them sew
or quilt, so I'm really out of it. There was a quilting club here that met
in a church basement, but when some of the older ladies went to their final
reward, no younger or new members joined - so it folded.

Old February 14th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Lenore L" wrote in message
Marie,

Have you completely rethreaded the machine? That has helped me many
times. Has it been oiled?

Sure did and it's working fine now. I do oil it - with Singer oil.

Does the thread try to make it around and then snaps? Does the motor seem
to strain?

That's "almost" what was happening. The needle wasn't picking up the bobbin
thread and the bobbin was making a racket with each revolution. When I went
to check the TOP spool, I spotted the mess at the guide. It was a tangled
fuzzy, linty ball of "who knows what" in the guide the thread goes around
before it goes down to the needle. I never thought to check that guide
before but then I only used this machine a few times since we bought it in
91. I will check it from now on. Since the spool was almost finished I
threw it out and put a fresh spool on it. I also changed the bobbin for good
measure. It seems to be ok now but the bobbin isn't silent was it was
before. It makes a slight clunk with every revolution. ????

Old February 14th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Never seen or heard of such a thing. It sounds like a real time saver
as well as being handy. I only know a few women here now and none of
them sew or quilt, so I'm really out of it. There was a quilting club
here that met in a church basement, but when some of the older ladies
went to their final reward, no younger or new members joined - so it
folded.

Unfortunately it's about the last thing to get added, so it's only on
the very top of the range machines. I was very lucky to get a new sewing
machine before Christmas (though there has been some problems
unfortunately), not having used thread cutters, I didn't realise how
much I'd love them and they weren't the reason I chose the machine I
did, what I like most about them is not the ease of cutting, but that
once cut I don't need to pull any thread through to start sewing again,
my old machine needs about 4in of thread through the needle, otherwise
when it starts to stitch the needle unthreads and what was really
annoying was that the location of the blade you could cut your thread on
was just a tad too close, so I always had to remember to cut and then
pull! Chain piecing reduced thread wastage significantly, but you can't
easily chain piece some things, such as foundation piecing.

Cheers
Anne

bobbin case swap? polly esther Quilting 15 January 16th 07 08:44 AM
singer bobbin case Karen Quilting 2 April 22nd 06 03:56 AM
Singer 115 bobbin case [email protected] Sewing 1 January 6th 06 08:16 AM
Pfaff bobbin fix Roberta Zollner Quilting 5 February 17th 04 10:52 PM
HELP!!! BOBBIN WON'T COME OFF Laura Bartl Quilting 8 November 16th 03 11:16 PM