OT Great fruitcake!

Old December 20th 05, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Great fruitcake!

Yeah, yeah, I know the smarty pants out there will say there's no such
thing. Good. Keep thinking that -- there will be more left for me.

This year I decided to try Alton Brown's fruitcake recipe. (
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8157,00.html
) I made a couple of very minor changes (made it wheatfree and eggless,
macerated the fruit in brandy instead of rum), and it turned out FABULOUS!
More cake-like (and less bread-like) than previous fruitcakes, but simply
superb flavor.

DH is busy scarfing it down. You'd think I'd been starving the poor boy, and
he's not usually a big cake or fruit eater. His only suggestion was to add
more nuts next time, and he's hinting that next time needs to be very, very
soon.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old December 20th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

IIRC, the recipe called for rum for macerating, and brandy to spritz. Not
being a drinker, I only wanted to buy one alcohol, so I used just brandy.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Not to be picky.. you used rum or brandy?? recipe calls for brandy... so
I'm betting you used rum??? what the heck... I'll buy both lol...

Jan

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
. net:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...D_9936_8157,00

Old December 20th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I know the smarty pants out there will say there's no such
thing. Good. Keep thinking that -- there will be more left for me.

This year I decided to try Alton Brown's fruitcake recipe. (
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8157,00.html
) I made a couple of very minor changes (made it wheatfree and eggless,
macerated the fruit in brandy instead of rum), and it turned out FABULOUS!
More cake-like (and less bread-like) than previous fruitcakes, but simply
superb flavor.

DH is busy scarfing it down. You'd think I'd been starving the poor boy, and
he's not usually a big cake or fruit eater. His only suggestion was to add
more nuts next time, and he's hinting that next time needs to be very, very
soon.

I'm pretty picky about my fruitcake and have been making the same recipe
for years. I may have to give this one a try, though -- sounds good!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old December 20th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Thank you so much for posting this!! After further thought..... I think
I'm going to take the dried fruit soaked idea and sub that out in my
grandmother's recipe in place of the candied fruit and see what
happens....
thank you!! I miss fruit cake so very very much!!!!

Glad to be of help! *hic*

Old December 20th 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:

I always thought the brandy was *for* the cook - the things I learn here!

That too... After all, you need to taste it - you wouldn't want to cook
with summat nasty, after all!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 20th 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I always thought the brandy was *for* the cook - the things I learn here!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
Yum!!! That type of fruit cake looks much much better!! The fruit isn't
candied!! We could do that one!!! Yum yum yum..... grocery store here I
come..... can I buy extra brandy for the cook??? vbg

Jan

Old December 20th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

only the *good* stuff enters this house I have yet to find a good cheap
supermarket brandy ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands
Take out: so much quilting to reply.
Time to accept, time to grow, time to take things slow
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
"Kate Dicey" schreef in bericht

Old December 20th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

http://www.collinstreet.com/

Ragmop/Sandy (hey, she said "Great fruitcake!" and this is

. net...

Old December 20th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I know the smarty pants out there will say there's no such
thing. Good. Keep thinking that -- there will be more left for me.

This year I decided to try Alton Brown's fruitcake recipe. (
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8157,00.html
) I made a couple of very minor changes (made it wheatfree and eggless,
macerated the fruit in brandy instead of rum), and it turned out FABULOUS!
More cake-like (and less bread-like) than previous fruitcakes, but simply
superb flavor.

I adore Alton Brown. I think my own fruitcake is pretty good. I use an
old raised-by-beaten-eggwhite-only dark batter, real butter, and add
every kind of dried fruit and nut I can find (cranberry, cherry, peach,
apricot, plum, apple, dark and golden raisins, pears, blueberries,
almonds, pecans, etc.) I soak some of the goodies in run and some in
whisky. I use lots of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, clove,
ginger, orange peel, etc.) and some almond flavor. NO candied fruit!!!
Takes all day, makes a huge mess, but each bite is different and yummy.

Monique in TX.
Old December 21st 05, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sandy, what recipe do you use? I'd love to have one that somebody who's
"pretty picky about [her] fruitcake and [has] been making the same
recipe for years]...

--Heidi

Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Sandy Foster wrote:

I'm pretty picky about my fruitcake and have been making the same recipe
for years. I may have to give this one a try, though -- sounds good!

Comm- great unmounteds LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 February 26th 04 12:41 AM
great deals LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 January 29th 04 05:05 PM
GREAT B-day gift!! Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 January 8th 04 03:55 AM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM