In search of bulk buttons

Old October 16th 03, 05:41 AM
Jake Wildstrom

Default In search of bulk buttons

I have this Very Clever Project idea. But it wants a lot of yarn
buttons. A lot of lot of buttons. On the order of 350 of 'em. Being a
poor student (with limited patience for individually-packaged items),
I'm not really willing to buy 350 $1 buttons. There are those
'pound-packs' you can get in Michaels etc., but those tend to have
varying sizes and styles, and I'd like mine to more-or-less match. Is
there a way to pull this off at a reasonable price? Is there a sort of
local store I should be patronizing in my quest for bulk buttons (I'm
in San Diego, if anyone has specific stores to recommend)? Or an
online retailer?

Thanks muchly.

| D. Jacob Wildstrom -- Math monkey and freelance thinker |
| Graduate Student, University of California at San Diego |
| "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into |
| theorems." -Alfred Renyi |

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily endorsed by the
University of California or math department thereof.

Old October 16th 03, 08:28 AM
Anna MCM

Jake Wildstrom wrote:
I have this Very Clever Project idea. But it wants a lot of yarn
buttons. A lot of lot of buttons. On the order of 350 of 'em. Being a
poor student (with limited patience for individually-packaged items),
I'm not really willing to buy 350 $1 buttons. There are those
'pound-packs' you can get in Michaels etc., but those tend to have
varying sizes and styles, and I'd like mine to more-or-less match. Is
there a way to pull this off at a reasonable price? Is there a sort of
local store I should be patronizing in my quest for bulk buttons (I'm
in San Diego, if anyone has specific stores to recommend)? Or an
online retailer?

Hi Jake!

You could try a thrift shop. Some days ago I saw buttons on sale at just
some cents for a cup (!). Maybe they were not the most fashonable ones,
but anyway...
Something I really like o make when I need a button but I donŽt have one
is to cover a coin with crochet. I have a little bag of European coins
no more in use after Euro introduction, so I can choose among many
different sizes :-)
You can google with "button covering crochet" and youŽll find some
patterns. They are very easy to do and look very good. Hope they fit
your project.
Or you could use some big beads and glass pearls as buttons, maybe they
are cheaper than buttons on bulk. IŽve seen a way to use them as
buttons, sorry I donŽt rimember the page, but it shouldnŽt be difficult
to find...
Best luck with your project and send here, please, the URL with the
pics! :-)

Bye,

Anna Maria

Old October 16th 03, 04:33 PM
Coggie

Jake ,
I used to live by where you are and we used to go to L.A. and hit the
fabric district to get yarn , fabric and buttons . I know there are
alot of places there that have bulk buttons at a very cheap price.
Hope this helps ,
Coggie

Old October 18th 03, 04:25 PM
MouseCLP

I have this Very Clever Project idea. But it wants a lot of yarn
buttons. A lot of lot of buttons. On the order of 350 of 'em. ...gently

snipped... Is
there a way to pull this off at a reasonable price? Is there a sort of
local store I should be patronizing in my quest for bulk buttons (I'm
in San Diego, if anyone has specific stores to recommend)? Or an
online retailer?

Go to Google.com and search for "bulk buttons" -- I found quite a few online
retailers.

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC