[ADVERT] Domain Names For Sale, Platinumring.net, Platinumring.org, Platinumrings.org

Old July 4th 03, 04:28 PM
Anthony

Default [ADVERT] Domain Names For Sale, Platinumring.net, Platinumring.org, Platinumrings.org

Hello,

We are pleased to offer the following domain names for sale as a
package:

PLATINUMRING.NET
PLATINUMRING.ORG
PLATINUMRINGS.ORG

Easy to remember domain names for someone who sells platunum jewelry.
Forward offers to . Further direct contact
info will be forwarded to serious bidders. We will be accepting
offers for the next 3 weeks. Sales may be completed through
www.escrow.com. Thank you.

Anthony

Fax# 718-504-6224 (if faxing offer, please fax twice to avoid
transmission errors)
Old July 6th 03, 06:01 PM
Les & Claire

........ how come my Ebay link was bounced by the Moderator and this one got
through? Is someone on a little earner somewhere?

Les

Old July 6th 03, 06:44 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:03:00 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Les & Claire"
wrote:

....... how come my Ebay link was bounced by the Moderator and this one got
through? Is someone on a little earner somewhere?

Les

Les,

If I were a bit more insecure, I might bother to get REALLY offended by your
implication that I'm taking bribes. Fortunately, my insecurities don't extend
to this area. The group's advertising policy is well known to the group, and
published in the FAQ, easily found on google, or available on request, or
occasionally resent to the group.

Of course, as I think more on it, if you or any other advertiser wants to pay me
a bunch of cash to allow your ads, hey, what the heck. I'll take paypal
payments... (grin) So far, nobody has ever made that offer, and considering
the likely very poor responses to advertising in this group, I rather doubt they
will. It would not likely be money well spent. But feel free to send me the
cash, OK?

More seriously, to explain it fully, in case you've not previously found the
info...

I try my best to follow the group's Charter. I didn't write it. Group members
wrote it, debated it, and voted into existence here in the group in march of
1997, along with converting the group to moderated status. Advertising by
jewelry sellers, and gem stone and bead sellers was getting very frequent, and
was the impetus for the group readers to take that action.. Group members also
asked me to be the moderator. I didn't volunteer for it and only agreed when
asked, and might well not have done so had I known just what I was volunteering
for. It's a totally unpaid job, and one which, if I quit without getting
someone else to take over first, the newsgroup disappears. Please let me know
if you'd like to take over...

he charter states:

: CHARTER: rec.crafts.jewelry

The newsgroup provides a place for discussion of questions and answers
regarding the crafts of jewelry making and gem cutting. Tips, tricks and
informational posting are welcomed as well. Mutual assistance and support
are greatly encouraged. This is a moderated newsgroup, with no official ties
or connection to any commercial vendor.

'Spamming' of commercial or other messages not related to the topic of
the newsgroup rec.crafts.jewelry, and other violations of standard
Usenet newsgroup netiquette, as expressed in the Usenet FAQs on the
subject, are not permitted. Articles cross-posted to four or more
newsgroups will not be permitted.

Binary posts are not permitted in rec.crafts.jewelry under any
circumstances.

It is the moderator's responsibility to ensure that postings are
free from verbal abuse and personal attacks. Article content will be
the sole criterion of judgement. Authorship will not be a criterion
for any decisions.

The newsgroup is for information and discussion of the crafts involved
in the production of jewelry. It is not a marketplace, and posting of
ads by any individual or vendor, primary or third party, is not
permitted except under the conditions described below. Occasional
advertisements for used books, tools, and equipment, for one-time
liquidations of shops or collections, or for rare, difficult to obtain
materials and services, may be permitted. Such postings will be
scrutinized carefully and screened to eliminate "spam" or un targeted
"scatter" advertisement.

If an advertisement is permitted, only one advert per individual,
vendor or organization may be posted to the group per month.
The subject line must begin with '[ADVERT]' (excluding the quote
marks).

More information on advertising will be provided in a newsgroup FAQ
document once the moderation of the group has been initiated.

END CHARTER.

As you can see, as the moderator, I have discretion as to which ads to allow, if
any. The wording is pretty specific on what's allowed and what's not. You
can't just sell stuff or promote your site here, especially not jewelry or other
items essentially marketed to the public, since as the charter states, this is
not a marketplace. Ads which are allowed are specifically only those which
might be of particular interest to jewelry craftspeople and the like. Thus the
mention of "used tools and equipment, books, etc", or unusual closeouts or other
such opportunities that we, as craftspeople, are often eager to find out about.

For the sake of the survival of both the group as a whole, and my own sanity,
i've had to make it a pretty much a fixed rule that I cannot allow ANY ads for
things being sold via ebay or other online auctions. The reason is simple.
There's so damn much stuff sold there, which fits the "used tools and equipment"
etc description, that if I started to allow any of it, the group would quickly
become flooded with little else. Thus, Les, I disallowed your ebay links pretty
much automatically. If you go back over the last few years, you'll find the
number if items sold on ebay that I DID allow, (if there were any. Don't quite
recall), you could probably count on one hand and have fingers left over.
Besides, people shopping for such things know very well where to look. Ebay is
well organized, and easy to search. If you're looking for things, you know how
to find it there. It's not like we need ads to cram it down anyone's throats,
even if sellers would like the additional exposure to hike up selling prices.

As the charter states, I'm allowed the freedom to allow ads for unusual items.
After some heated discussion between the left and right sides of my brain (and
hitting the delete button, and then the undo button a couple times), I decided
that these domain names were just a bit too possibly useful for someone to just
delete. They're sold directly, not through ebay, and if you want them, go for
it. If not, then delete the posting.

Hope that explains it.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted. But I really don't have the choice to make
everyone happy here. You want your ads allowed, but trust me. You would not
like what happens to the group if I start to allow all the ads I get. The vast
majority are sent by people who don't participate in the group, and have not
bothered to find the group FAQ to even figure out the required advertising
format (the [ADVERT] tag, and ascii only). And if I make you happy by allowing
your ad, then what about the others who've been rejected. Not to mention the
many other folks who'll write me complaining about YOUR ad.

Like I said, Les, if you want this job, please let me know. I've frankly been
doing it quite long enough (six years. That's well longer than average, I
think, for moderators. Most pass it on within a couple years) As I said, it's
unpaid, other than appreciation by readers, and you'll need to spend some
valuable time every day, rain or shine, doing it. Taking a vacation becomes a
real problem... But then, you might enjoy it, and you DO make a few new
friends. Frankly, I'm a little addicted. Maybe that's fortunate...

cheers

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry