How to get a white Silver finish?

Old December 9th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Paul WIlson

Default How to get a white Silver finish?

Folks,
I noticed that silver castings are, well, white...right after casting.
One does then polish them to make them shiny like silver.

How might I turn a polished piece back to the white state?

I have some cast seashells that need that white finish.

Thanks,
Paul Wilson
eliasbing.com

Old December 9th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Todd Rich

Paul WIlson wrote:
Folks,
I noticed that silver castings are, well, white...right after casting.
One does then polish them to make them shiny like silver.

How might I turn a polished piece back to the white state?

I have some cast seashells that need that white finish.

Thanks,
Paul Wilson
eliasbing.com

I get that look with the silver if I heat it up to about 1300F-1500F
without coating it with a flux first. I believe the white is silver
oxide.
Old December 9th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Todd Rich wrote:
Paul WIlson wrote:

Folks,
I noticed that silver castings are, well, white...right after casting.
One does then polish them to make them shiny like silver.

How might I turn a polished piece back to the white state?

I have some cast seashells that need that white finish.

Thanks,
Paul Wilson
eliasbing.com

I get that look with the silver if I heat it up to about 1300F-1500F
without coating it with a flux first. I believe the white is silver
oxide.

Your very lucky to not get oxide forming at that temperature, that
could be because your heating in an inert atmosphere or a reducing one
or your using fine silver.Thats 999/1000 to those that dont know.
Heating sterling grade thats 7.5% copper/silver without flux in an
ordinary flame will turn it black in no time.
so unless you know what your doing,
dont.
Or run a replicapable trial on some scrap first, before putting the
real item in the fire.
To get rid of the black youll need to dissolve the copper oxide out of
the silver. For that youll need a reactive flux with flurides in it.
there designed for a quite different aplication so wont be available
from your normal jewellers supply house.
they will do the job but theres a health risk in their use.
A touch of the sorcerer's apprentice here I think.
Do your research first, then run trials to get the technique right then
do the proper job.
that way your less likely to screw up.
Old December 9th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Paul WIlson wrote:
Folks,
I noticed that silver castings are, well, white...right after casting.
One does then polish them to make them shiny like silver.

How might I turn a polished piece back to the white state?

I have some cast seashells that need that white finish.

Thanks,
Paul Wilson
eliasbing.com

Have you tried bead/sandblasting? Might be close enough to the finish
you're after.
Or I suppose you could invest and reheat the item to casting temp. Just
remove the investment? Seems like you would still have oxides to deal
with though.

You said silver - is it sterling or unalloyed?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old December 10th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sarit Wolfus

On Dec 9, 3:14 am, "Paul WIlson" wrote:
Folks,
I noticed that silver castings are, well, white...right after casting.
One does then polish them to make them shiny like silver.

How might I turn a polished piece back to the white state?

I have some cast seashells that need that white finish.

Thanks,
Paul Wilson
eliasbing.com

You could brush polish the piece using a fine brush to regain the
white look. There are fine glass, pencil-like brushes in the market
that make a great job.
Or, as in reticulated silver, you could evenly heat the piece to turn
it black and then pickle to remove the copper oxide layer and leave a
thin white fine silver layer. Repeat the process until you are happy
with the result.
Sarit.
http://sarit-jewelry.com

The difference between Tibetan silver vs. Sterling silver ? bk51atwork Jewelry 4 March 26th 08 08:19 AM
White wool or white cotton? BB Yarn 19 August 22nd 06 02:35 AM
WoWarcraft (not white on white) again, this time, on topic! frood Quilting 2 June 13th 06 08:02 PM
sterling silver vs. 14k white gold porkchops Jewelry 6 April 14th 04 02:41 AM
Finished my white gansey, which isn't white H Schinske Yarn 3 August 22nd 03 06:33 PM