Names of the thin light costume fabrics ?

Old October 15th 09, 12:37 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
robb

Default Names of the thin light costume fabrics ?

hello,
Could someone enlighten me as to the name of (or link to ) those
thin lightweight fabrics used in the ready made costumes. Thats
the cheapy thin stuff . I am mostly interested in the lightweight
qualities.

For the kids i wanted to use something lighter and more
breathable than the local retailer's fleeces, jerseys, spandexes,
etc (ie. heavy fabrics).

specifically i was looking for something thin like the stretch
lycra fabric used for swimsuit liners and something with a fake
fur like finish (velvet ?) and in bright colors as well

any helpful hints, ideas, links, directions much appreciated.

robb

Old October 15th 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_2_]

robb wrote:
hello,
Could someone enlighten me as to the name of (or link to
) those thin lightweight fabrics used in the ready made
costumes. Thats the cheapy thin stuff . I am mostly
interested in the lightweight qualities.

For the kids i wanted to use something lighter and more
breathable than the local retailer's fleeces, jerseys,
spandexes, etc (ie. heavy fabrics).

I was thinking tissue lame, it is very thin but I don't know
about breathability.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd33350

specifically i was looking for something thin like the
stretch lycra fabric used for swimsuit liners and
something with a fake fur like finish (velvet ?) and in
bright colors as well

Panne or crushed velvet? There are lots of them right now,
shown for costumes, at TSWLTH, and they are fairly cheap,
especially if you use a coupon.
http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=653831

any helpful hints, ideas, links, directions much
appreciated.

HTH,

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old October 15th 09, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_2_]

robb wrote:
hello,
Could someone enlighten me as to the name of (or link to
) those thin lightweight fabrics used in the ready made
costumes. Thats the cheapy thin stuff . I am mostly
interested in the lightweight qualities.

Another type of fabric you might search for is "acetate
satin". I'm pretty sure that's what is used for lots of the
cheap RTW costumes, and my local TSWLTH carries tons of it
this time of year.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...PRODID=prd7205

Just be aware, if you intend for the costume to be worn more
than once, acetate satin is NOT my recommendation, cheap
often equals pretty fragile. In addition it is NOT washable.

For any costume you hope to last, I would recommend poly
satin. But you also wanted breathable, so... ;-}

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old October 16th 09, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
robb

"BEI Design" wrote in message
robb wrote:
hello,
Could someone enlighten me as to the name of (or link to
) those thin lightweight fabrics used in the ready made
costumes. Thats the cheapy thin stuff . I am mostly
interested in the lightweight qualities.

I was thinking tissue lame, it is very thin but I don't know
about breathability.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd33350

Panne or crushed velvet? There are lots of them right now,
shown for costumes, at TSWLTH, and they are fairly cheap,
especially if you use a coupon.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...questid=653831

HTH,
--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Thanks Beverly,
I can always count on you and many others to get me started in
some useful direction.

Joanns is far, Hnck. is closer but it lacks variety. I was hoping
to find some web fabric and the fabric names will help me find
something.

thanks for your help,
robb

Old October 16th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Emily Bengston[_2_]

Robb,
I've had good luck ordering from Joann's and Hancock's since I can no longer
drive.

Emily

OT More Pet Names NightMist Quilting 0 September 27th 09 04:31 AM
Thin leather Pat EAXStitch Needlework 2 February 12th 05 08:27 PM
Balanced Spectrum light vs Ott light Donna in Idaho Quilting 3 December 29th 04 01:53 AM
OT Dog names NightMist Quilting 44 October 11th 04 04:15 AM
thin clay... Bead Sprite Polymer Clay 8 October 2nd 03 02:37 PM