laying tool

Old April 11th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default laying tool

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that
fits on a finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the
hang of the other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

non-stitching police mode on If my threads don't laying perfectly, I
consider that just one more bit of texture non-police stitching mode
off

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old April 11th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

anne wrote:

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that
fits on a finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the
hang of the other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

I find the kind that fits on your finger awkward because of the way it
extends out beyond my finger. But that's probably just me.

But I don't think you need to buy a tool. Do you knit? Do you have a
small (size 8 or smaller) straight needle? A long bodkin would work, too.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old April 11th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

A very large tapestry needle works well too: you can embed its eye-end
in a large bead to provide a 'handle' to stop it sliding through your
fingers.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old April 11th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 4/11/08 7:38 AM, "anne" wrote:

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that
fits on a finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the
hang of the other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

Some folks use the "trolley needle" - 2 kinds. One is attached to a band
like an adjustable ring, with the opening to the back of your finger, and
the needle spot soldered on the inside of the part that fits under the pad.
If you don't wear any kind of glasses, just be wary about scratching your
face unconsciously. The other kind, IIRC, by Grip-it, is a thimble type
with the needle also attached - which comes in sizes. Maybe $8-$10.
http://www.quiltbus.com/needles.htm scroll down - you'll see it

For their "first" laying tool, we carry a large bone needle - it's about the
size of perhaps a 16, meant to be put in little etuis or the like - but
works really well, has a good, smooth point, and I just tie a ribbon
through the eye (they cost $2 where I am). Or, you can use a really large
tapestry needle - I still have an 18 tapestry needle on a ribbon attached to
my doo-lolly threader.

Moving up - the "Best Laying Tool" which is a piece of lightweight metal,
honed very smoothly and sharply. Stays in its case except when I'm using
it. Can be substituted for a Japanese Tekobari - though this is shorter.
Shay Pendray distributes these, and recommends them - I've had one for about
8 years. About $17.

http://www.berlinembroidery.com/tools.htm#blt
this link on Tanya Berlin's site has BLTs, Rosewood Stietto (which can be
used as a laying tool) and the carved shawl pin/laying tools - take a look,
scroll down.

Large variety of wooden carved laying tools - find one that is comfortable
to your hand, and mostly people love the look, and warmth of the wood feel
(like those of us who use wooden knitting needles). Prices anywhere from
about $20-$50 - depending on design, wood, carving. IIRC, Victoria of years
ago made some handcarved ones that were sold via Dianne's web site.

Zecca - folks with the clay magnets - also do laying tools - long metal thin
rods (not flimsy thin) with interesting sculpture handles (not my favorite -
like the look, not the feel, and I find the point a bit too bulky for silks
- though I do have one). Those are also, IIRC, about $35 more or less.
http://www.zecca.net/products/layingtools.html

And, we have some really cool looking carved bone "shawl pin or laying tool"
things - forget who makes them - they're in the mid range of length, very
antique or very modern looking - ivories and browns in color - modest point,
they come packaged on a card, in plastic - and run about $10.

non-stitching police mode on If my threads don't laying perfectly, I
consider that just one more bit of texture non-police stitching mode
off

LOL - and that's just fine. However, for some stitches - the difference
seen between laid stitches, and not, can be quite something. Not so much
for straight XS (though of course that depends on thread, size, etc), but in
more complicated stitches, or those with long runs of thread. For a lot of
the modern, kind of abstract or geometric canvaswork, or counted thread, and
some of the threads/ribbons used - a laying tool & patience is pretty much a
necessity. Donna can attest to my fits of muttering as I complete the woven
interiors in Neon Rays which are then surrounded by Jessicas - on a piece
called "Gayle" by Orna Willis. I've taught this class, and there is no way
to do these without a laying tool (a small needle sub just didn't quite
work) and after doing just a few, the class all told me that our next "fun"
summer class could not involve Neon Rays, or much weaving.

I use a laying tool a lot, but, then again, I usually stitch 2-handed, with
some kind of a stand, or if it's canvas - with the working area off the
table. But I don't use a trolley - I've tried, and I'm not comfortable on
my finger, and personally don't find the point tapered enough for some of
the work.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy your class.

Ellice

Old April 11th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 4/11/08 8:16 AM, "Dr. Brat" wrote:

anne wrote:

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that
fits on a finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the
hang of the other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

I find the kind that fits on your finger awkward because of the way it
extends out beyond my finger. But that's probably just me.

Not just you - we agree on something. It kind of hurt my finger and felt
awkward.

But I don't think you need to buy a tool. Do you knit? Do you have a
small (size 8 or smaller) straight needle? A long bodkin would work, too.

Good idea, though I think you'd likely need more like a 5 or less to have
the tip not too bulky.

Ellice

Old April 11th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"anne" wrote in message
. ..
My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that
fits on a finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the
hang of the other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

non-stitching police mode on If my threads don't laying perfectly, I
consider that just one more bit of texture non-police stitching mode
off

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

For me the very best laying tool is an old tapestry needle. It came from
an inexpensive package of odd needles that would be used for upholstering.
This one is about 2 or 3" with a big eye and the shaft of the needle is
slightly curved and flat. It has a sharp point which makes it useful as a
"frogger" too.

I put a tassel through the eye and I keep it in the scissors holder on my
table.

Lucille

Old April 11th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Dr. Brat wrote:
I find the kind that fits on your finger awkward because of the way it
extends out beyond my finger. But that's probably just me.

But I don't think you need to buy a tool. Do you knit? Do you have a
small (size 8 or smaller) straight needle? A long bodkin would work, too.

Elizabeth

I have one of the ones that fit on your finger. I can't use it
because I forget I have it stuck to me and try to scratch my head or
something! Good thing I wear glasses -- could have put an eye out a few
times!
I have a HUGE plastic embroidery needle that I use most of the time
-- cheap and works nicely, too. I also have several very lovely laying
tools made especially for that purpose. I don't use them because I'm
afraid I will misplace them.......
Mostly, I use my little finger and then the needle that I am doing
the stitching with. This works great (I stitch with very long lengths
of fiber) until you get right to the end. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old April 11th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

anne wrote:

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She
requested that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any
kind of laying tool.

I usually use a large tapestry needle. The ones sold for seaming
knitted sweaters together work well. You don't want a crewel needle,
as the point is quite sharp, and it's easy to pierce a thread when you
don't want to. I do have an actual laying tool, but I can't find it
at the moment (the workroom is in a state of disarry, as I'm
reassembling it in a different room), hence the use of a tapestry
needle.

non-stitching police mode on If my threads don't laying perfectly, I
consider that just one more bit of texture non-police stitching mode
off

That's true, but the smooth surface you get from properly laid threads
is kind of the point of stitching with silk.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old April 11th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Parrotfish

"Dr. Brat" wrote...
anne wrote:

My EGA chapter is bringing in Laura Smith to teach a class. She requested
that participants bring a silk laying tool. I don't own any kind of
laying tool. If I bought one, I'm leaning towards the kind that fits on a
finger because I'm a real klutz and don't think I'd get the hang of the
other kind. Suggestions and sources appreciated.

I find the kind that fits on your finger awkward because of the way it
extends out beyond my finger. But that's probably just me.

But I don't think you need to buy a tool. Do you knit? Do you have a
small (size 8 or smaller) straight needle? A long bodkin would work, too.

Elizabeth
--

Can I ask....... How does one use a laying tool ?
I've seen a few sites with pictures of beautiful wooden tools, but I've

--
Regards..............P-f (Polly...UK)

Old April 11th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia Beaulieu

"Parrotfish" wrote in message

Can I ask....... How does one use a laying tool ?
I've seen a few sites with pictures of beautiful wooden tools, but I've
never seen anyone actually using one.
TIA .

--
Regards..............P-f (Polly...UK)

Here are a couple site that will explain how to use a laying tool.

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/laying_tool.html

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techn...ying-tool.html or
http://tinyurl.com/4by6ll

Mavia

What is a "laying" tool. Theresa Needlework 48 March 3rd 05 06:42 PM
Laying tool use anne Needlework 18 May 18th 04 10:25 PM
oh how I wish I had a spare $80 laying around... Amber Beads 8 May 6th 04 08:08 PM
Beautiful laying tool!! Mavia Beaulieu Needlework 10 February 20th 04 07:12 PM
Laying Tools Rhea Needlework 0 January 11th 04 12:14 AM