New to group

Old August 14th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynda

Default New to group

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Old August 14th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Welcome Lynda.... we're glad you found us!

As you will soon discover, quilting is an extraordinary way to spend your
time (and your money!!!)

How to get started? Lots of different ways.

1) Buy a good beginning quilting handbook -- there are many, many, many out
there including those by Fons & Porter, Eleanor Burns, Alex Anderson and
more. (I'm sure others will add their favorite book to the list).

2) Find a local quilt shop. Almost all shops offer classes from beginning
patchwork to advanced applique and everything in between.

Tools? Depends on how you would like to start.

You could start with as little as a good pair of scissors, a pencil, some
cardboard and needles, thread and fabric.

If you want to sew by machine, (or by hand too) you may prefer to use
"modern" tools such as a rotary cutter, mat and rulers. There are many
different styles and types out there. If you want to start this way, I'd
recommend a 45mm rotary cutter, a medium to large sized mat and a 6" x 24"
ruler. That should get you started.

Where do you live? I'm sure there is at least one quilt guild somewhere
close (unless you really live in the boonies). Find out when their next
meeting is...and go! We're a friendly bunch.

You might want to hit your local public library and check out about a dozen
books on quilting. Start looking at pictures to get a feel for the colors
you are drawn to, the types of quilts you think you would like to make.
With the hundreds (thousands) of books out there -- I'd suggest you start
with "free" reading before you begin to invest in your own quilting library.

Have fun! You're embarking on adventure that can last the rest of your
life! You'll find many friends who will be happy to offer help all along
your journey!

--
Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old August 14th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hello to you too, and welcome. Others will rush to give
you advice about tools, thread, fabric, and more! Me?
My specialty is CHOCOLATE!

The only rule you really need to know:
Send a pound or two of chocolate to the Official Chocolate
Tasting Office, conveniently located here in my Palace in
Virginia, USA. I will taste test if for you and report via
E-Mail. No need to thank me! It is my selfless
volunteer service
to the RCTQ Community.

Grins,
PAT, Official Chocolate Taster or RCTQ
AND Queen of Everything

Old August 14th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

Welcome to the best-est cyber quilting frame around! I'll echo Kate's
suggestions. It is best to take a class to begin with - basically you take
a couple pieces of fabric and cut them up into small pieces and then mixx
them up and sew them back together. (That's the top). Put a layer of fabric
(face down) for the "backing", a layer of batting on top of that, and your
top (face up) on the top. Then you have a choice to 1. tie the layers
together (or) 2. sew them together. Sew a binding around the outsides to
keep the edges from fraying --- and you're done! The hard part is picking
an easy pattern (i.e. "block") and a small enough size (lap quilt/baby
quilt/?placemat?) so you don't get frustrated while learning the basics. G

We'll be here to root ya on! .... and answer questions as they come up.

Here's some "starter" websites:
http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...ke_a_quilt.htm
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...iltingone.html

ME-Judy

oups.com...

Old August 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynda

On Aug 14, 9:57 am, "Kate G." wrote:
[...]

Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *"Lynda" wrote in message
Thankyou so much I have a couple quilting books kind of glanced over them , I think take a better look at them . I live in Renton Washington
oups.com...

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.- Hide quoted text -

Old August 14th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lynda

On Aug 14, 10:41 am, "ME-Judy" wrote:
Welcome to the best-est cyber quilting frame around! I'll echo Kate's
suggestions. It is best to take a class to begin with - basically you take
a couple pieces of fabric and cut them up into small pieces and then mixx
them up and sew them back together. (That's the top). Put a layer of fabric
(face down) for the "backing", a layer of batting on top of that, and your
top (face up) on the top. Then you have a choice to 1. tie the layers
together (or) 2. sew them together. Sew a binding around the outsides to
keep the edges from fraying --- and you're done! The hard part is picking
an easy pattern (i.e. "block") and a small enough size (lap quilt/baby
quilt/?placemat?) so you don't get frustrated while learning the basics. G

We'll be here to root ya on! .... and answer questions as they come up.

Here's some "starter" websites:http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...iltingone.html

ME-Judy

"Lynda" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.- Hide quoted text -

Ok whats backing and batting, I like how you explained that sounded
simple untill you got to backing and batting . I understood the
cutting sqaures and sewing them back together so I will start with
that. This is going to be fun.

Old August 14th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

I too wish you welcome to the group! Kate in MI has some great suggestions
for you, so I won't echo hers.

BTW, I am the "official" taste tester of coffee. Yep...coffee! ( Seems
appropriate as I've been working on hand piecing my "Double Shot of
Espresso" quilt for what seems like years ). So, send along a sample of
your favourite brand of coffee to central MA and I'll be more than happy to
report back to the group about how well it goes with the chocolate that
you've sent Pat in VA. ( Pat, you are sharing, aren't you??? )

- dlm. in stunningly beautiful central MA

Old August 14th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
monique

Howdy, Lynda!

Backing is the fabric on the back side of the quilt. Keeps the seams on
the back of the quilt top from showing and holds the batting in.
Batting is the "filling" in the sandwich--what makes a quilt warm,
squishy, and cuddly. Could be cotton, wool, polyester, silk, etc.

Welcome!

Monique in TX

Old August 14th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 14, 11:53 am, Lynda wrote:
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Here is what I would offer to you as a way to get started. Asuming you
don't already have a machine, there is a wonderful book that deals
with quiltmaking by hand . It is called:"Quiltmaking by Hand", by
Jinny Beyer.
ISBN 0-9721218-2-X.
It will teach you how to go about the whole process without getting
into the "Which Sewing Machine should I get" question. It lets you get
going with a minimum outlay of money to accomplish something to see if
you like to do this sort of thing. Then when the virus of Quilting
gets firmly implanted in your mind, you can bankrupt yourself with
multiple sewing machines, embroidery machines, long arm machines and
god knows whatever else and still it will not be enough. This way you
can test the waters for the price of the book and a few supplies and
see if it is for you. If you can take a class at a local quilt shop,
so much the better as some people do better in a class setting and
some are able to self-teach from a book. Even if you bail out, the
book is a lovely to look at trip through the world of hand quilting.
Good luck

John

Old August 14th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hi Lynda,

http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...ke_a_quilt.htm is
a good jumping off point to read about basic quiltmaking, etc an if
you are a visual learner, then I'd recommend that you check out some
of the internet tv sites (quilters' tv, hgtv video links to simply
quilts, qnn, kaye wood, fons & porter) all these sites offer video
learning techniques.
Check out the library in your area for lending videos on quilting as
well as basic quilting technique. Are you a machine sewer? Most
quilt shops have a beginner series of quilting lessons if you need a
hands-on approach but they probably won't teach you how to use a
sewing machine or the basics of using a machine if you are a novice.
If you have a quilt guild in your area, I'd suggest contacting them
for information on the resources available to new quilters - there
might be a sewing 'buddy' who'd be willing to help you out.
jennellh (gmail.com)

On Aug 14, 11:53 am, Lynda wrote:
Hello my name is Lynda and this is my first group. I picked this group
because I would love to learn how to make a quilt . I have never done
this I have always wanted to learn to how. If anyone has any
suggestions on how to get started please let me know. I guess I just
never had time to find out . Remember I have no clue how to even
start. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need.

Your pick group (and any other group I moderate), Pami, Dannielle-double aster.... Terbear Quilting 0 December 1st 06 11:17 PM
New To Group and Art Barbara Sherrill Quilting 16 April 23rd 06 10:15 PM
New to group BettyKuhn Needlework 15 January 31st 06 10:01 PM
Group Mama Bear Needlework 0 January 24th 06 11:02 PM
ob group Theultimatemall Marketplace 0 July 10th 04 05:40 PM