My Little Indulgence.

Old August 14th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

Default My Little Indulgence.

When I got my thimble, I thought of it as a new sewing machine. That way it
was a bargin! ;-) Enjoy your new machine and tell the kids - Hands Off!

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a Roxanne thimble the other day. I am so proud of it I just
had to post. It's everything I'd
hoped it would be and honestly just an extension of my finger, so
comfortable and easy to use.

I was the one who never could find a thimble that stayed on, and I
tried them all. I'd finally resorted
to using double-sided tape under the thimble.

It is so nice to not have to chase the thimble all over the place
anymore.

They're expensive, by my standards, so this was a *real* luxury
purchase for me. I'll probably have
nightmares that my kids will put it out in a garage sale for twenty-
five cents someday. :-)

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
Sherry wrote:

I bought a Roxanne thimble the other day. I am so proud of it I just
had to post. It's everything I'd
hoped it would be and honestly just an extension of my finger, so
comfortable and easy to use.

I was the one who never could find a thimble that stayed on, and I
tried them all. I'd finally resorted
to using double-sided tape under the thimble.

It is so nice to not have to chase the thimble all over the place
anymore.

They're expensive, by my standards, so this was a *real* luxury
purchase for me. I'll probably have
nightmares that my kids will put it out in a garage sale for twenty-
five cents someday. :-)

Sherry

Congratulations, and enjoy your thimble, Sherry! I tried a Roxanne's
thimble, but it isn't for me because I push with the pad of my finger.
That means that the thimble sometimes turns -- very uncomfortable when
you're wearing one that has a definite front and back. g Now I use a
TJ Lane tailor's thimble, and it works perfectly for me.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 15th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 14, 9:22 am, Connie wrote:
Are you kidding? I've already left my family orders that I want to be
buried with my favorite notions and fabric! And of course, my SM!

Seriously, I have the same problem too. Apparently, my fingers are too
small for most thimbles so I've used the plastic ones (the tacky ones
that look like a real finger?). Those you boil in water until they melt
a bit so you can mold them to your finger. But since they're so cheap,
I end up not caring so much about them and losing them ...

I think I'll try a Roxanne - I've always heard great things about them!
'Sides, they're so PRETTY!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

Connie, YES, exactly the same here! My fingers are very small. The
best thimble I'd found
was also those boil-first plastic finger-colored thingys. If that's
also your current favorite,
you will absolutely love the Roxanne. Like KJ mentioned, it feels like
you're wearing a ring or something.
You honestly forget about it, as it becomes an extension of your
finger.

Sherry

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article .com,
Sherry wrote:

On Aug 14, 9:22 am, Connie wrote:
[...]

Well, ya'll sold me! Are Roxanne booths common at most quilt shows??
Though they have those ring sizing kits, I'd be much more comfy at
spending the $$ if I knew it was actually the right size.

Do you think that there's much difference between models in terms of
comfort/fit? I'm allergic to most metals - silver is the one I KNOW I'm
not allergic to. Practically anything else and I blow up like some sort
of freakish puffer fish! :/

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 15th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris Underwood

"Sherry" wrote
I'll probably have
nightmares that my kids will put it out in a garage sale for twenty-
five cents someday. :-)

Sherry - Ya know, even if they DO - it would probably go to a quilter - so
you just need to imagine a future quilter writing to RCTQ and happy dancing
about her garage sale "find"!!!

--
-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))

Old August 15th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 14, 9:48 pm, "Chris Underwood"
wrote:
"Sherry" wrote
I'll probably have

nightmares that my kids will put it out in a garage sale for twenty-
five cents someday. :-)

Sherry - Ya know, even if they DO - it would probably go to a quilter - so
you just need to imagine a future quilter writing to RCTQ and happy dancing
about her garage sale "find"!!!

--
-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
..·´ Chris
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸
·.·

Now, that's being positive! And you're absolutely right! :-)

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 14, 8:46 pm, Connie wrote:
In article .com,

Sherry wrote:
On Aug 14, 9:22 am, Connie wrote:
[...]

The only one I know about is the solid silver one. And sizing is so
weird. Apparently
you buy the one you think is too tight. The fitter-lady honestly had
to talk me into
the notion that it was the right fit. You quilt for 15 minutes, and
suddenly realize
it is perfect.
My aunt did buy one too large, and kept it for a long time. She just
returned it for the proper sized one.
Apparently they are very generous about returns, as long as the
thimble doesn't show wear.

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article . com,
Sherry wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:46 pm, Connie wrote:
In article .com,

Sherry wrote:
On Aug 14, 9:22 am, Connie wrote:
[...]

I'm sold! Thanks, Sherry!!

Old August 15th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Thimbles & Funerals, was: My Little Indulgence.

On Aug 14, 7:54 am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Sherry! How could you *say* such a thing? What a thought. Polly

I dunno, Polly. Probably because my kids don't seem to form the
emotional attachment to
"things" like I do.
Come to think of it, I didn't think of this before, but I do have a
weird emotional attachment
to thimbles in particular. On the day of my mother's funeral (I was
19)...my father called my
sister & I out on the porch. He dug in his pockets and brought out two
of her thimbles, and gave
one to each of us. It didn't seem the time to ask questions, and I've
never asked anyone since,
but often wondered if that act had some kind of traditional influence
or if it was just something
he thought up.

Sherry

Old August 15th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

No, Sherry, dear friend. I very well understand the heart-felt ties to our
mother's treasures. I have mine too. I was just reacting along the lines
of our not being able to completely enjoy our indulgences because our heirs
will sell them for 25¢ or sweep them in the trash. I'm just hoping our
children will have one whale of a garage sale and a big party to celebrate
their success. Unless, of course, I find a way to take it with me. Polly

oups.com...