OT Story - DD's birthday

Old December 12th 03, 02:52 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default OT Story - DD's birthday

Happy Birthday to your sweet daughter, Kathy. I really enjoyed reading this
story. Especially about your brother the big scary marshmallow holding
the little baby.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Today, my darling daughter turned fourteen. As always, she wanted to hear
even more details about the day of her birth, and I thought I'd share a

few
of them with you. I've already shared her labor and delivery story, and

it's
icky enough that I don't really want to write about it again. (Needless

say, it's not one of those deliveries they tell you about in LaMaze class)

After DD was born and all cleaned up, we were wheeled back to a birthing

room
to spend a little time together as a family. Our labor nurse asked if

there
was anything she could do for us, and I had one request: FOOD. It was

now
Sunday afternoon, and I hadn't eaten anything since at least Thursday.

The
nurse chuckled and said that there wasn't any food there except for her

brown
bag lunch. I told her that I'd happily eat her lunch, and to hand it

over.

She got the lunch and I devoured it. I ate so fast that I don't even
remember what kind of food it was, except for an apple at the end. We

spent
the rest of the time speaking with our new daughter, and marveling over

how
perfect and cute she was. (Looking at the pictures, I realize that she
wasn't incredibly cute that day -- she was rather banged up from the

birth.
But she looked perfect to us) We called our parents to give them the good
news.

A nurse came to get DD, give her a shot and take her blood for some test

that
is required by Massachusetts law. I was hooked up to many, many IV's so I
couldn't go. I insisted that Bob go along with DD, because I didn't want

her
to be out of sight of her parents, and thought that they'd be gentler with
her if one of us was there. Unfortunately, Bob has a weak stomach and

after
watching the heel stick, he spent the rest of the lab time being sick.

An orderly came to wheel me upstairs, and Bob followed, wheeling DD in her
plastic bassinette. (We were still too scared to actually walk and hold

her
at the same time) By the time we made it to my room, there were

grandparents
a plenty, chomping at the bit to see the newest family member. My father

in
law, the quietest person on Earth, was openly cheering that he had finally
gotten "his girl." (DD is the apple of his eye to this day) My mother in
law and my parents all hugged each other in delight that they had

"finally"
gotten their first grandchild, and they all pressed me as to when the next
one was coming. (Give me a break -- this one wasn't even a day old!)

I was still ravenous, so Bob ran to a nearby sandwich shop and got me a

jumbo
eggplant sandwich and a quart of cranberry juice. I devoured every speck,

as
well at the hospital food lunch they brought to me as I was just finishing
up. I wasn't the only hungry one -- the nurses gave me a teeny little

bottle
of formula for the baby, but warned me that babies that new don't usually
eat. Someone should have told her that: she drained the bottle in record
time.

The family stayed and passed the baby around, oblivious to the fact that I
had been up for almost four days and had done enough pushing to move a

house
across the street. Finally, the nurses shooed everyone out and gave me a
shot of happy juice. I assume that Bob left after I konked out, because

the
next thing I remember, it was Monday morning.

Now I had been living with morning sickness since about three seconds

after
DD's conception. Morning sickness was actually a misnomer - it was also
afternoon sickness, evening sickness and wake up in the night to barf
sickness. I had become totally accustomed to opening my eyes, clamping a
hand over my mouth and racing to the bathroom to "call dinosaurs on the
porcelain phone." So, that's what I did. Or started to do. After about
four steps, I realized that a miracle had taken place: I didn't have to
barf! I sat on the edge of the bed and told DD how amazing that was, and

we
both had a good laugh at my expense.

A nurse came in and asked me if it was a good time for a bath. Not really

in
"Mommy mode" yet, I told her that was a great idea and would she put the

baby
in the nursery until I was done. With an odd look, she wheeled out the
bassinet and I hopped in the shower. To this day, I've never again had a
shower that felt so wonderful. I also discovered something they don't

tell
you in the baby books: having a baby does not result in your instantly
losing your "buddha belly." I looked like deflated beach ball between the
ribs and the knees. Nasty.

Bob had called my office and told them the good news, and the phone was
ringing off the hook. Everyone at work called to congratulate me about

the
baby, and "by the way, since I have you on the phone..." Well, it ended

up
that I worked from the hospital room that day. Bob, whose enlightened
company granted him not one minute of paternity leave, came in late that

day
to see me crying from exhaustion. The phone was still ringing. He picked

up
the receiver, determined it was a work call, and blistered the caller's

ears.
I received no more work related calls. :-)

Yet another nurse came in to make sure that we had figured out the

rudiments
of baby care. We both had to demonstrate that we could change a diaper

and
bathe the baby. I think we each took an hour per chore. It makes me

laugh
now, because by the time DD was done with diapering, I could change even a
toxic sucker in about fifteen seconds flat. I filled out the paperwork

for
DD's birth certificate, and made the hospital secretary crazy with my
unreasnable demand that DD's birth certificate actually carry her name
(spelled correctly). It took the woman at least four tries to get it

right.
I also had to insist that my daughter have "my partner's" last name.

Somehow
she didn't understand that "my partner" was my husband and the baby's

father.
Go figure.

Our then-pediatrician, who is also a mohel, stopped by to see if we wanted
the baby circumscised. When he saw the pink balloons, he discovered that

all
my predictions had been wrong, and that we had no need for that particular
service. It wasn't going to happen anyway -- Bob had wanted it done if

the
baby were a boy, but instantly dropped his demand when I told him that if

he
wanted the baby circumscised, he had to be there to watch. :-0 I was

always
of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it; and we have no

religious
requirements for that.

My brother in law came by to visit, and caused a bit of a stir. Imagine
Rupert from Survivor and double his size. (Not weight - my BIL is about
6'5") Put him in a leather vest and assorted biker clothing and have him
drive an eighteen wheeler. Now imagine the giant scary biker guy holding

teeny pink baby, gurgling and cooing. (he only looks scary - he's really

big marshmallow) The nursery attendant pulled me aside to make sure it

was
all right that "that giant man" was holding the baby. It was.

Monday night at the hospital wasn't exactly peaceful. The woman in the

next
room was having her seventh(!) baby, and her husband had dropped the six
older siblings at the hospital so Mom could watch them while he went to

work.
Six rambunctious children racing around the maternity ward doesn't make

for a
good night's sleep. Little did I know that I wasn't going to get a good
night's sleep once I got home, either. Somehow I was under the impression
that newborns sleep all the time. Silly me.

Tuesday morning came and we were scheduled to go home. Yay! Bob's mother
had saved Bob's "going home from the hospital" outfit for all those years,

so
DD went home dressed as a little boy that day. We had a few moments of
nervousness when we were informed that we might not be able to check out -

it
was twelve below zero, and the hospital was afraid of letting the babies
leave in such cold weather. They told me that I was free to go, but DD

might
have to stay. Yeah, right. We all left together at about 10:00 a.m.

When we got home, the grandmothers were already waiting. Everyone in the
house was beside themselves with joy, with one exception: Buckie the Dog.
He was furious - he had suddenly been demoted from "spoiled hairy child"

"dog" in one fell swoop. Buckie was never one to harm anyone, but if

looks
could kill, that crying, bald intruder would have been incinerated on the
spot. Even now, when we look at the video, you can tell how angry that

dog
was. Eventually he got over it - at almost exactly the same time that DD

was
eating food and dropping crumbs on the floor.

--------------------------

The past fourteen years have gone by in a flash. Some of the days have

been
awfully long, but the years are gone before you know it. It hasn't always
been easy, but I wouldn't change a moment of it, and I treasure all the
memories and stories, both good and not-so-good.

Give someone you love a hug for me tonight, willya?

Kathy N-V

OT Happy Birthday Vicki Shirley Shone Beads 4 November 20th 03 09:59 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 12:37 PM
OT Birthday greetings to Kathy N-V and Barbara. Shirley Shone Beads 19 October 6th 03 01:59 AM