Polymer Clay Question

Old October 26th 04, 04:05 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Default Polymer Clay Question

I was just milling over what I had read on the basic instructions sheet for
polymer clay, and it said to bake the pieces in an oven proof dish lined
with index cards to prevent burning the pieces...but won't the cards in the
oven? How do you guys who do polymer clay bake your stuff? do you use glass
bake ware lined with index cards or something else? Being that this is my
first time playing with polymer clay, I am curious.

Also, have any of you tried making boxes just with the clay and no mold?
Would you have to make the walls of the box and then put them together, or
could you put the walls together before baking?

---------------------------
Marissa Undercofler -- Marissa's Creations
To see finished pieces:
http://groups.msn.com/MarissasBeaded...f/shoebox.msnw

Old October 26th 04, 04:12 AM
~Candace~

I use a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Never had a bead burn yet.

A lot of folks use polyfill, too...it won't burn, nor will index cards,
because the oven doesn't get hot enough to burn it

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

Old October 26th 04, 04:54 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Thank you Candace. Now that you said that, I remember that the temp is like
275 or something like that so the index cards wouldn't burn...

Marissa

m...

Old October 26th 04, 04:55 AM
Marissa Undercofler

DUH!!! I should have remembered that! I read that book in highschool (only 7
years ago).

Marissa

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "~Candace~"
:

]the oven doesn't get hot enough to burn it

Fahrenheit 451 - the temperature for paper to spontaneously burst into
flame. . . . .

[that's the only way i can remember!]

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old October 26th 04, 05:10 AM
Georgia

If you try to make boxes of slabs of polymer clay the way you would with
earth caly, you are likely to be disappointed, unless you are going for the
slumped glass effect: the clay will soften and slump before it hardens. I
think you will need to prop up the walls with folded paper or something.

You know, there is a wealth of information at www.glassattic.com, and loads
of tutorials at Polymer Clay Central
(http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/ma...essonsprojects)
Polymer Clay Central has a very active bunch of discussion groups. You will
get a lot of help if you ask your questions there.

Have fun!
Georgia

Old October 26th 04, 05:54 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Hate piggybacking on my own post, but I have a another question. How do you
guys get smooth pieces with no finger prints? Do you use latex gloves or
what?

Marissa

Old October 26th 04, 05:56 AM
Marissa Undercofler

Thank you Georgia. I am still learning atm, since this is my first time
venturing into polymer clay. I have lots of questions and stuff, but until I
learn the basics and get the gist of somethings, they can wait.

Marissa

Old October 26th 04, 06:00 AM
~Candace~

I cheat--my favorite pieces that I've made myself were fully textured. No
need for smoothness anywhere, so no worry about finger prints
If you can get gloves that _really_ fit well, they will help with not
leaving any finger prints. Also, use a brayer (whatever you roll out your
clay by hand with) to smooth your pieces prior to baking.

Old October 26th 04, 07:32 AM
Carla

I used a manila folder in the bottom of a pyrex dish. The card is to
keep the clay from picking up a shiny spot where it touches the glass.
And the oven isn't hot enough to make the paper burn (as long as it's
not resting against anything metal, I suppose).

I've recently been making a lot of pendants (no holes) and I use the
pyrex dish for that. For beads with holes, I have a metal baking rack
and pins, made especially for baking clay The beads are suspended on
the rack so there's no contact with anything, other than the pin through
the hole.

Haven't tried making a box yet, but I've been collecting Altoids tins.

Nice to see another rider on the clay-train

Cheers,
Carla

Old October 26th 04, 07:35 AM
Carla

Heh. I kept thinking "351?", and knew it wasn't right. Didn't want to
get up to look for the book

Cheers,
Carla