iridium tipped pen nibs

Old October 1st 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
MatthewK

Default iridium tipped pen nibs

I just posted this question to the metalworking newsgroup but thought
this might be a better forum after thinking things over more.

I would like to know how the tips of some fountain pen nibs get their
iridium. My copy of the Complete Metalsmith list some uses of the
platinum group, the relevant one is:

"plating on the tips of fountain pens for durability (especially
osmmium)"

Does anyone have an idea of how this is done? Following McCreights hint and
the late Frank Dubiel (fountain pen repairer/restorer) I think the
nib tips were first melted into a ball then shaped and plated.

matthew
ohio

..
Old October 2nd 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:09:37 -0700, MatthewK
wrote:

I just posted this question to the metalworking newsgroup but thought
this might be a better forum after thinking things over more.

I would like to know how the tips of some fountain pen nibs get their
iridium. My copy of the Complete Metalsmith list some uses of the
platinum group, the relevant one is:

"plating on the tips of fountain pens for durability (especially
osmmium)"

Does anyone have an idea of how this is done?

I would assume they are electroplated.

Following McCreights hint and
the late Frank Dubiel (fountain pen repairer/restorer) I think the
nib tips were first melted into a ball then shaped and plated.

Is your question about the plating, or how the nibs are made?

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old October 2nd 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

wrote:

I just posted this question to the metalworking newsgroup but thought
this might be a better forum after thinking things over more.

I would like to know how the tips of some fountain pen nibs get their
iridium. My copy of the Complete Metalsmith list some uses of the
platinum group, the relevant one is:

"plating on the tips of fountain pens for durability (especially
osmmium)"

Does anyone have an idea of how this is done? Following McCreights hint and
the late Frank Dubiel (fountain pen repairer/restorer) I think the
nib tips were first melted into a ball then shaped and plated.

There's a number of fountain pen forums online, including folks who
repair or enhance pens. You might want to google them up.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com
Old October 4th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
MatthewK

* Al Balmer wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:09:37 -0700, MatthewK

I would assume they are electroplated.

Following McCreights hint and
the late Frank Dubiel (fountain pen repairer/restorer) I think the
nib tips were first melted into a ball then shaped and plated.

Is your question about the plating, or how the nibs are made?

Thanks for the ideas. I know how nibs are made but am was just curious
to common ways of tipping them. I asked around some more and have found
on reference I need to email.

matthew
ohio
..
Old October 4th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
MatthewK

* Marilee J. Layman wrote:
There's a number of fountain pen forums online, including folks who
repair or enhance pens. You might want to google them up.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com

Thanks, the question came up on one of the forums. I found some
resources in the usnet pen group I need to email.

matthew
ohio
..