OT why I'm a pack rat

Old August 14th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT why I'm a pack rat

But not a good enough one! DD just called to ask me to look for old clothes
for "Totally 80's Day" at band camp. (She's the director.)
A friend and I had a business back in the 80's in Scottsdale. We decorated
clothes (think long T-shirts with rhinestones and appliques and "clips" to
pull the t-shirt through paired with cotton leggings). Over the years, as
I've gotten much pudgier, I've thinned out my carry overs figuring I'm just
wasting closet space. THEN someone comes along and wants a costume! Never
throw out anything!!! I still had a pair of cotton leggings in the bottom
drawer of the armoire.....but when I pulled on the waist....it
disintegrated! I found a tunic that's like brand new that has rhinestones
and silver and gold appliqued fish! Also still had some wild fish earrings
(I had to get out the glue gun and put some stones back on them) and some
gold flats with rhinestone and stars. That should do it, shouldn't it??? I
never owned any leg warmers. Any other suggestions?
KJ

Old August 14th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I was changing diapers a lot of the 80's. I haven't a clue what was
going on otherwise then. My dd teases me about that a lot.
Sounds like you are both going to have fun with the whole thing.
Taria

Old August 15th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Headbands! That cute little strip of sparkly elastic to grip your
forehead. Show up that punked hair-do (spiky and gelled).
Trashy, torn clothes ala that slutty Madonna look.
Big earrings, lots of cheap jewelry.
One black glove w/ sparklies on it.

Ragmop/Sandy--remembering how few of us were quilting in the 1980s
and how difficult it was to find real cotton fabric ;-)

Old August 15th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

dare I say it: big baggy coveralls in a not quite neon colour worn with a
super wide belt
(thank goodness there are no photo's of me in one!!!)

big square scarves with glittery woven squares wrapped around the neck with
the point on the front and the two ends dangling on the front too (no knots)

harem pants
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old August 15th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:03:42 GMT, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

Howdy!

Headbands! That cute little strip of sparkly elastic to grip your
forehead. Show up that punked hair-do (spiky and gelled).
Trashy, torn clothes ala that slutty Madonna look.
Big earrings, lots of cheap jewelry.
One black glove w/ sparklies on it.

Ragmop/Sandy--remembering how few of us were quilting in the 1980s
and how difficult it was to find real cotton fabric ;-)

That spiral perm look, or crimped hair would work too.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 15th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Not everyone did. I didn't! I've never
liked a flashy look. I don't care what
others wear, I don't like that look for
myself. (Though lately I've been getting
a wee bit more flamboyant. I have a few
shirts with sequins or trim.)

Looking at old eighties photos, I see I
generally wore casual slacks, turtleneck
shirts, corduroy gathered skirts,
blouses. I do have some pictures where I
have a floppy little bow at the neck of
a suit blouse. I had quite a collection
of those!

I started quilting in about 1987, and
then I generally wore tee shirts and
shorts, or turtle necks khakis, or
jeans. No more bows ... they'd get
caught in the SM!! LOL
PAT

Old August 15th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

You wouldn't BELIEVE the glitzy stuff we made! AND wore! The sparklier the
better! Of course, when we came back to Iowa on vacation it didn't quite
fit in, but at the time I just figured they were behind times.....now, I
think perhaps they had better taste!! Though I did sell some items when I
came back, come to think of it.
I never had the crimped/curly hair, but I did have DD get a perm...and she
was in early grade school! Oh dear.....the things we did.
KJ

. ..

Old August 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default 1980s OT why I'm a pack rat

Howdy!

Less glitz, more punk, for me. Back then in the "skinny '80s"
I had my head shaved in one patch over my left ear. Just because. ;-P
Perms were for the later '80s, when Big Hair came back into Vogue,
esp. in Tx. where we've always done Big Hair. Obviously much of
the local population hasn't yet let go of the Big Hair,
squiggly perms, or that rooster tail swathe of hair over the forehead.
Yikes! The '80s live on. And on. ...
Yeah, we wore it, all of it, but I never saw the need for
leg warmers in this part of Tx. g
Shoulder pads. Looked like women were going out to the football field
in high heels and full make-up with those shoulder pads.

Meanwhile, my mom was embroidering quilt tops and sending them to me
to Finish. The boys wore out their Granny quilts; I still have the
red & white cats quilt in good shape.

Ragmop/Sandy--not sorry to have left the 1980s ;-)

On 8/15/06 8:06 AM, in article 4FjEg.899490$084.884786@attbi_s22, "KJ"
wrote:

You wouldn't BELIEVE the glitzy stuff we made! AND wore! The sparklier the
better! Of course, when we came back to Iowa on vacation it didn't quite
fit in, but at the time I just figured they were behind times.....now, I
think perhaps they had better taste!! Though I did sell some items when I
came back, come to think of it.
I never had the crimped/curly hair, but I did have DD get a perm...and she
was in early grade school! Oh dear.....the things we did.
KJ

. ..

Old August 15th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Yes! Shoulder pads! I should have sent a pair with DD's outfit. I haven't
heard back from her yet to see how it went over. Ahhhh the "skinny
'80's"....that's one part of that decade I WOULD like to see return! High
heels and leggings.....that was a sight! Could never do the high heels
part....even in my younger, more agile and skinny days. Nope, couldn't do
it. We rarely saw leg warmers in Arizona either, unless it was in a dance
studio or Jane Fonda video....hummm wonder if I still have my video. Belts
on leotards was always a good look too! g
KJ

wrote:

You wouldn't BELIEVE the glitzy stuff we made! AND wore! The sparklier
the
better! Of course, when we came back to Iowa on vacation it didn't quite
fit in, but at the time I just figured they were behind times.....now, I
think perhaps they had better taste!! Though I did sell some items when
came back, come to think of it.
I never had the crimped/curly hair, but I did have DD get a perm...and
she
was in early grade school! Oh dear.....the things we did.
KJ

. ..