making molds...progress report!

Old July 15th 04, 04:46 PM
Sjpolyclay

Default making molds...progress report!

hi y'all!
I still haven't melted anything in that big old Skutt. HOWEVER..its because I
have been awfully busy, making 60 miniature masks for the swap I just hosted,
and getting ready for the seminar I will be giving next week in Jackson MS, and
making other stuff....including some face molds for fusing glass. I made the
originals out of polymer clay (and two are used in this new swap), and baked
them. Then I used the Mold Making Material we got from D&L Stained Glass Co. in
a 5# bag...it looks a lot like plaster of paris with a brown tinge, which made
me think of Louis's suggesstion of a PP/sand mix for molds. It mixes like PP,
with water and using a tongue depressor for a mixer.

My first batch of molds was not good because of the bubbles---I placed my
originals face down into the poured mix, in cut down plastic food containers.
The originals were sprayed with PAM (food oil) the containers were not---both
released beautifully. And, there were no bubbles in the *bottom* of the
pieces--just the tops. So, the next batch, I stuck the originals to the bottom
of the containers and poured over them. Beautiful smooth molds of 5 of my
original faces, which are now drying and being prepped for use. I'll let you
know how it all turns out--there'll be pics, when I get some melting done...but
its still going to be a while...probably not till the first week of August. I
hate having to be patient, but theres so much to do I can't fit it all in
except in little bits here and there. I'm really looking forward to making
glass face cabs though!!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old July 15th 04, 08:12 PM
starlia

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
WOW. I'm overwhelmed just reading this. Can't wait til August now,

sheesh!

I know, me either. I love all the masks I have seen in glass. I think they
are too cool.

Old July 15th 04, 10:09 PM
Marisa Cappetta

I can't wait to see!

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old July 16th 04, 12:33 AM
Dr. Sooz

I know, me either. I love all the masks I have seen in glass. I think they
are too cool.

But have you seen the masks on Sarajane's website? OH MAN!
http://www.polyclay.com/masks.htm
~~
Sooz

Old July 16th 04, 03:10 PM
Sjpolyclay

But have you seen the masks on Sarajane's website? OH MAN!
http://www.polyclay.com/masks.htm

ah, and I just unwrapped 60 new little wonders and all I had to do was make 60
to swap!!! Some really beautiful ones came in---two even have beads!

Old July 16th 04, 05:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

ah, and I just unwrapped 60 new little wonders and all I had to do was make
60
to swap!!! Some really beautiful ones came in---two even have beads!

Are you going to post the 2004 swap (eventually) on your website?
~~
Sooz
Old July 17th 04, 01:27 AM
Sjpolyclay

Are you going to post the 2004 swap (eventually) on your website?

probably...only reason I would NOT is if I do get a contract for the mask book
and the publishers want to keep them for print. At this point its likelier that
they'll be on the web, just not till I have some Spare Time.

Old July 17th 04, 01:32 AM
Dr. Sooz

At this point its likelier that
they'll be on the web, just not till I have some Spare Time.
Sarajane

What?!?! You're not going to do it tonight? What the heck is wrong with you,
Sarajane????

haw haw haw haw
~~
Sooz