Beginning Crochet

Old March 10th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Beginning Crochet

Hi all,

I usually lurk here and read the posts to see what new things I can learn,
without having to ask dumb questions. I THOUGHT I understood how to read a
simple crochet pattern. But I have one here for a poncho that is leaving me
baffled, yet I know it must be something very simple. So I have to ask a
dumb question after all. lol

The pattern reads.....Next Row: Ch. 1. 1 sc. in each of first 15 sc.
(1sc.ch.2. 1 sc) in next single crochet. 1 sc. in each of last 15 sc.
Turn.

Now....I understand that I turn my work for the next row. I add one extra
chain, then starting from the second chain from hook, make one single
crochet in each of the first 15 chains in the preceding row. But then I get
to the brackets. Does this mean (in brackets) that make a chain in the 16th
chain, add two more single crochets to my hook, then then go back to making
single crochets in the last 15 chains of the previous row? Would this not
make a hole type of design in my work? Maybe it's supposed to?

Next question....in the next row it says to make 2 sp. does this mean to
skip over 2 stitches, thereby making a space in the work? Sorry to bother
you all with this, but I want this poncho so bad I can taste it! I'm going
to get the hang of this crochet business if it's the last thing I do! lol

Maureen

--
Maureen Miller
Http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5909&members=1

Old March 10th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Maureen,

I'm not going to be much help, but if you are starting from the neck,
you have to increase some where along the way and that could be by
doing the spaces. Is there a picture that we could see of the website
of the pattern. That would sure help.

Hugs,

Nora

Old March 10th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Maureen In Vancouver, B.C." wrote in
message news:8rkQf.130420$sa3.23366@pd7tw1no...
[...]

Hi Maureen, it's not a dumb question but just something you haven't learned
yet.

"(1sc.ch.2. 1 sc) in next single crochet" means to work a single crochet, do
2 chains and another single crochet all in the same stitch of the previous
row. In your case, that would be in the 16th single crochet. Yes it will
leave a hole which I think would be intentional. I would need to see more
of the pattern, like what comes before or after it, to understand what "make
2 sp" means.

--
Jan in MN

Old March 10th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

[...]

I can't help you, Maureen, but I am sure that someone will.
Now that you have de-lurked, stick around and play with us.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 11th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hey, Maureen! Glad you decided to jump in here ... and just for the
"record," there are NO dumb questions!!!! )

I ditto all that Jan said about the instructions in parentheses -- you
will do those stitches (single crochet, chain 2, single crochet) all in
the 16th single from the preceeding row.

I have the same problem as she (Jan) for your second question ... need
to see more of the instructions to know exactly what "make 2 sp" means.
Write back again and give us that row -- or even better, the row in
question plus the one before and after.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of this -- wanting the poncho so badly
will encourage you to keep going, and all of the sudden you'll realize
that you're having fun and enjoying the process and seeing your piece
develop before your eyes (or fingers as the case may be!) And it's no
bother to help you -- that's why we're here ... to help each other and
show each other our progress and projects and to share ideas. )

Welcome to the group -- it's great here and everybody's exceptionally
friendly and helpful.
Eve )

Old March 11th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:36:14 GMT, "The Jonathan Lady"
wrote:

Hi Maureen

The pattern reads.....Next Row: Ch. 1. 1 sc. in each of first 15 sc.
(1sc.ch.2. 1 sc) in next single crochet. 1 sc. in each of last 15 sc.
Turn.

Others have answered this one, so I won't repeat it. Yes, it's made
to create a hole in your work. You may fill it in on subsequent rows
to make a staggered look to your design, so it may not be apparent in
any pictures of the poncho.

Next question....in the next row it says to make 2 sp. does this mean to
skip over 2 stitches, thereby making a space in the work? Sorry to bother
you all with this, but I want this poncho so bad I can taste it! I'm

going
to get the hang of this crochet business if it's the last thing I do! lol

A lot of times, pattern makers will put at the beginning of the
instructions where the materials and gauge are listed a section with
the stitches used. If there are any unusual ones, often they will
make up an abbreviation, describing what you are supposed to do in the
stitches used section. For example, your (1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc) is often
called a V stitch or V-st for short when worked with double crochet,
so the stitches used section would say "V-st: (dc, ch 2, dc) in same
stitch." Nearly every time you see something in parentheses in
crochet, it means you'll do everything enclosed in the same space or
stitch. Anyway, rather than repeating "(dc, ch 2, dc)" throughout the
pattern, they'll write something like "V-st, ch 1, dc in next dc
across row", so it makes the pattern more compact to read and takes up
less space if it's a published pattern.

HTH!

Leah
Old March 11th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:28:04 GMT, "Maureen In Vancouver, B.C."
wrote:

[...]

You make a single crochet into the chain of the row below, then you
make two chains (in the air, not into a stitch) and then another
single crochet into the same chain where you made the previous one.
The middle chain of beginning chain will have two sc worked into it,
with 2 chains between them. Probably in the next row, you are going to
make (1 sc, ch, 1 sc) AROUND these chains that separates the two sc.
Note the word "around". You won't work into the chains, you'll pass
your hook into the space below them before wrapping the yarn around
the hook and making an sc, then 2 chains, then another single crochet
around the chains.

This pattern will accomplish three things: a pattern going down the
middle that has a series of little holes, a gradually widening fabric,
and a point in the center. This is a very typical poncho pattern.

...then then go back to making
single crochets in the last 15 chains of the previous row?

Yes. At the beginning where you had 15 chains, you'll now have 16
single crochets, two chains and another 16 single crochets. Each row
will have 2 more stitches than the row below. Until you're more
expert, I would count the stitches on every row. My first crochet
project was a pot holder that used the exact same pattern, and I kept
ending up with rows that didn't have enough stitches, because the
first stitch on every row tends to hang down a bit and it's easy to
miss it. That's one of the reasons for making a chain at the beginning
of each row.

...Would this not
make a hole type of design in my work? Maybe it's supposed to?

Yes to both questions.

Next question....in the next row it says to make 2 sp. does this mean to
skip over 2 stitches, thereby making a space in the work?

Could you type in more of the instructions for that row? I've having
trouble figuring out what they mean.

You'll be an expert in no time, don't worry.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old March 11th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Maureen! Welcome to the RCTY family! )

Your first question was answered, and I have to agree with Jan about needing
to see more of the pattern to understand your second question. Is the
pattern on the internet somewhere, or is it from a book that one or more of
us might have?

Good luck with it, I'm sure once you figure out the stumbling blocks and get
past it, your poncho will finish up beautifully and you'll be wearing it in
no time at all. ;o)

Gemini