walking foot necessary?

Old November 22nd 05, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default walking foot necessary?

It's possible to make anything without any tools, but truthfully, the tools
are there to cut down on problems, and no one wants problems. To buy one
you have to know whether your machine has a high or low shank, though (I
think I said that right, someone correct me if I said it wrong, as it's been
so long since I thought about it). Anyway, it's job is to keep the
material from edging around and shifting, creating bunching. It's
possible to do a good job without one depending on your personal skill and
attention to the smallest detail in problems, but if you can get one it will
remove more of the risk of doing a bunch of work and finding out it really
is a 'bunch' and will now need to be taking out or ditched. They are a
blessing, and remove a lot of the risk of problems.

--
Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*
"Sara Lorimer" wrote in message
news:1h6f5c3.dfun5h1wc98kiN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...
I'd like to machine quilt the quilt I'm working on now (my second), as I
don't have the time or patience to hand-quilt and hand-tying doesn't
really go with the way the quilt looks so far. I don't have a walking
foot for my sewing machine. Are they really necessary for machine
quilting? I have a Pfaff Hobby, which I'm happy with, but it isn't the
fanciest of machines.

--
SML

Old November 22nd 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You only want the walking foot for the long straight lines. And no, it isn't
essential, especially if you baste very closely (I use 1" brass safety
pins.)
My Pfaff has a built-in top transporter (= walking foot), doesn't yours?
Pfaff makes a big foot, like a giant darning foot, for free-motion quilting,
and it can't be very expensive. Go try one out in the store and see if you
like it.
In any case, if this is your 1st venture into machine quilting, make
yourself a small practice sandwich about 12" square to try out thread
tensions and free motion. I find that I reduce the top tension quite a bit,
especially if using invisible thread.
Roberta in D

Old November 22nd 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Roberta Zollner wrote:

You only want the walking foot for the long straight lines. And no, it isn't
essential, especially if you baste very closely (I use 1" brass safety
pins.)
My Pfaff has a built-in top transporter (= walking foot), doesn't yours?

Um... I don't know. I'll dig out the manual and find out. I'm new to
this all, very new...

Pfaff makes a big foot, like a giant darning foot, for free-motion quilting,
and it can't be very expensive. Go try one out in the store and see if you
like it.

Good idea.

In any case, if this is your 1st venture into machine quilting, make
yourself a small practice sandwich about 12" square to try out thread
tensions and free motion. I find that I reduce the top tension quite a bit,
especially if using invisible thread.

I'll do that.

--
SML
Old November 22nd 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Marcella Peek wrote:

You need to really, really, really baste your quilt well.

I've been basting with safety pins. How close would they have to be, do
you think?

You should loosen the pressure on your pressure foot to help with the
thickness of the quilt.

Will do, thanks.

--
SML
Old November 22nd 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Walking feet aren't complete necessary, but they sure do make life easier!
How I wish I would have had and known about walking feet back when I was
making down coats from Frostline kits. My sewing life sure would have been
easier then!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
In article 1h6f7v7.1yajss6qk0dg8N%que.sara.saraDELETE@gmail. com,
(Sara Lorimer) wrote:

Marcella Peek wrote:

You need to really, really, really baste your quilt well.

I've been basting with safety pins. How close would they have to be, do
you think?

About a 4 inch grid. Pretty close but it will really keep things from
shifting.

Also, a walking foot (or integrated dual feed that some Pfaffs have) can
be used for many, many more things than straight lines. Without having
to turn the quilt in circles and drive yourself crazy you can do all
manner of continuous line patterns like cables with curves and pivots.
Don't limit yourself! ;-)

marcella

Old November 22nd 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know that I heard that the walking foot was originally designed for
garment sewing to match plaids, stripes, patterns.

Bonnie, in Middletown, Va

walking foot Becky Quilting 27 June 16th 04 04:03 PM
Walking Foot To Give Away "long". Dixie Quilting 4 April 24th 04 03:41 PM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 10:38 PM
Generic walking foot? D&D Quilting 0 October 24th 03 11:38 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM