Instructions?

Old October 27th 03, 05:28 AM
Sindir

Default Instructions?

Does anyone know where I can find instructions for the heart block shown on
this website (http://www.quilt-design.com/BOM/patdec982.htm)? I would love
to use it for my parents quilt, but I don't want 2" blocks, I would like to
make them 6" blocks.

Sindir

Old October 27th 03, 05:47 AM
Ann

Hi Sindir

I presume that's the actual size of foundation to make the 2" block.
Why can't you photocopy the foundation template and blow it up 3x ?
Or enlarge until you get the desired size. The proportions should all stay
the same shouldn't they?

Ann

Old October 27th 03, 10:56 AM
Keith and Michelle

This one is a bit different than what you originally had, but it is a 6"
heart...
http://www.quilt.com/BlockOfTheMonth/1998/Heart.html

HTH!
Michelle In Gander

Old October 27th 03, 11:05 AM
Keith and Michelle

Or try this one
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10209.asp
or http://www.quiltaholics.com/bom/heart.htm
or http://www.lenzula.com/pp/hearts.php for 10 paper pieced heart variations

HTH!
Michelle in Gander

Old October 27th 03, 01:04 PM
Julia Altshuler

Paper pieced designs are even easier to enlarge than regularly pieced
designs because you need do no math to add the seam allowance. That's
done by eye. Get graph paper with 1/4 inch squares. It is sold at
Office Max or Office Depot. Draw a 6" square. (4 little squares = 1
inch.) Using the 2" design as your guide and a ruler, draw the rest of
the lines. After doing it once, you can photocopy it, but since I don't
have a photocopier at home, I draw it out as many times as I need. Then
use the graph paper for your paper piecing. Sew right through it. It
works fine.

You mentioned needing instructions. Any of Carol Doak's books on paper
piecing will tell you what you need to know. Having said that, I'll
tell you that I found paper piecing impossible to learn from written
instructions. No matter how carefully I read and how step-by-step I
took it, I couldn't figure out the business of sewing on one side and
flipping to the other. I needed someone to show me in person, to stand
over my shoulder and keep an eye on me. I took a class at my local
quilt store and have been very glad I did.

--Lia

Old October 27th 03, 06:08 PM
Denise

"Sindir" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find instructions for the heart block shown on
this website (
http://www.quilt-design.com/BOM/patdec982.htm)? I would love
to use it for my parents quilt, but I don't want 2" blocks, I would like to
make them 6" blocks.

Sindir

There's one on this page that's similar to the one you linked.
http://www.quilt.com/Foundations/The...ts/Hearts.html

Denise
Old October 27th 03, 06:14 PM
Sindir

Denise,
I tried to go to the site you linked and it says it can't be found.

I guess I should clarify my request...I am looking more for what size to cut
the fabric. I've got the idea down for using the pattern, but have no idea
what sizes to make all of the pieces for it.

Sindir

Old October 27th 03, 10:52 PM
Julia Altshuler

If you're trying to figure out what size to cut the pieces, you don't
understand paper piecing. You need either a book or a class or a friend
to teach you how paper piecing works. In order to get a picture in your
head of how big to make the pieces, draw the design in the size you want
on graph paper. This old post will help:

Old October 27th 03, 11:13 PM
Sindir

Julia,
That's the point I'm trying to make. I don't actually want to paper piece
this block. It just happens that the pattern I found was a paper-pieced
pattern. I want to make a regular block without paper-piecing it. That's
why I'm looking for how to make a regular pattern out of it and find the
regular dimensions for it.

Sindir

Old October 27th 03, 11:44 PM
Sudrlg