Man question about tapestry

Old December 14th 10, 12:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
David Pennington

Default Man question about tapestry

As a mere male, I have been working on a Shaker cushion and recently
finished it. You can see the finished article here

http://tinyurl.com/35cz3zx

I am now working on a new cushion which you can see here
http://tinyurl.com/336wyex

Now, my question is this. The blue sky has lots of little white flecks
in it. How should I do these? What I would naturally do is just link
them all together but this seems to be a waste of wool. Any help as to
how I do this would be appreciated.

David

Old December 14th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/13/2010 7:08 PM, David Pennington wrote:
As a mere male, I have been working on a Shaker cushion and recently
finished it. You can see the finished article here

http://tinyurl.com/35cz3zx

I am now working on a new cushion which you can see here

Now, my question is this. The blue sky has lots of little white flecks
in it. How should I do these? What I would naturally do is just link
them all together but this seems to be a waste of wool. Any help as to
how I do this would be appreciated.

David

David, I can't help you. I could find the link to the cushion...it looks
gorgeous!

However, a male stitcher is NOT a "mere male". We have several on the
group, some of whom mostly lurk, but do comment when needed.

Welcome to RCTN!

Gillian
Old December 14th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

David Pennington ) writes:
As a mere male, I have been working on a Shaker cushion and recently
finished it. You can see the finished article here

http://tinyurl.com/35cz3zx

I am now working on a new cushion which you can see here
http://tinyurl.com/336wyex

Now, my question is this. The blue sky has lots of little white flecks
in it. How should I do these? What I would naturally do is just link
them all together but this seems to be a waste of wool. Any help as to
how I do this would be appreciated.

David

David, Work out how much a "waste" of wool costs. My guess is pennies.
I suggest you do it the way you find easiest. Jim.
Old December 14th 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Now, my question is this. The blue sky has lots of little white flecks
in it. How should I do these? What I would naturally do is just link
them all together but this seems to be a waste of wool. Any help as to
how I do this would be appreciated.

David

I would sew beads in those places.
mirjam
Old December 15th 10, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nickname unavailable

Doing lots of starts and finishes on the snowflakes will probably end
up using more wool than if you link them together. Do the snowflakes
first, then the background stitches will cover the links. I rather
like Mirjam's suggestion about beads, but you'd need to consider how
you're going to use the cushion.

Johnno (another male, but don't call me mere.)
Old December 19th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
David Pennington

On 2010-12-15 09:13:07 +0000, Nickname unavailable said:

Doing lots of starts and finishes on the snowflakes will probably end
up using more wool than if you link them together. Do the snowflakes
first, then the background stitches will cover the links. I rather
like Mirjam's suggestion about beads, but you'd need to consider how
you're going to use the cushion.

Johnno (another male, but don't call me mere.)

I have gone with the single thread for all of the stars. There is a
moon in the middle so I did that as well.

Not sure that I am up to beads yet!

I have another tapestry coming for Xas but that is of a Steam
Locomotive so it is a much more comlex and demanding picture as I have
little freedom for creative changes to the image.

Thanks for all your help.

David

Old December 20th 10, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/19/10 3:46 PM, in article
, "David Pennington"

On 2010-12-15 09:13:07 +0000, Nickname unavailable said:

Doing lots of starts and finishes on the snowflakes will probably end
up using more wool than if you link them together. Do the snowflakes
first, then the background stitches will cover the links. I rather
like Mirjam's suggestion about beads, but you'd need to consider how
you're going to use the cushion.

Johnno (another male, but don't call me mere.)

I have gone with the single thread for all of the stars. There is a
moon in the middle so I did that as well.

Not sure that I am up to beads yet!

I have another tapestry coming for Xas but that is of a Steam
Locomotive so it is a much more comlex and demanding picture as I have
little freedom for creative changes to the image.

Thanks for all your help.

David

Those highly detailed ones can be very fulfilling though!

Pictures?

Cheryl

Old December 20th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

David
Not sure that I am up to beads yet!

Well think about it for later!!!

I have another tapestry coming for Xas but that is of *a Steam
Locomotive so it is a much more comlex and demanding picture as I have
little freedom for creative changes to the image.

Since i never buy this things but make my own i can include other
techniques qnd mix them with Xst.... thus i read this and saw in my
imagination Steam as a cloud of Tulle !!!!
have Fun with your embroidery
mirjam