a thought or two on this "stitch-n-bitch" legalities controversy

Old March 11th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a thought or two on this "stitch-n-bitch" legalities controversy

I know that a bitch is a lady dog , that is why it used to be so
insulting. By the way the Yiddish word KLAFTE comes from the Hebrew
Kalba or the Arameic Kalbata both meaning ..... bitch as well ...
But in the East a Dog is considered a dirty animal.
mirjam

Too true, Mirjam, but bitch also IS a female dog....
and right now, with this thing going on with the controversy, methinks
they're ALL 'not bitches', because that would be an INSULT to canines!!
GRIN
Hugs,
Noreen

Old March 11th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks for the lesson, Mirjam!
I always learn SO much from you!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.

Old March 11th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:55:59 +0200, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
wrote:

I know that a bitch is a lady dog , that is why it used to be so
insulting. By the way the Yiddish word KLAFTE comes from the Hebrew
Kalba or the Arameic Kalbata both meaning ..... bitch as well ...
But in the East a Dog is considered a dirty animal.
mirjam

Too true, Mirjam, but bitch also IS a female dog....
and right now, with this thing going on with the controversy, methinks
they're ALL 'not bitches', because that would be an INSULT to canines!!

I've realized since coming to Italy that most Italians (and maybe many
other nationalities) think that the English noun "bitch" means a woman
with loose morals, because that's what the word would mean in their
language. However, in the US the word "bitch" means someone with an
unpleasant disposition and has nothing to do with sexual connotations.
A "bitch" would be a teacher who is unreasonable and petty, a wife who
is constantly nagging and complaining, a neighbor who annoys everybody
by yelling at children who are trying to have a little harmless fun.

I don't know if this usage is just in the US, or if it's the same in
other English-speaking countries.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old March 12th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

B Vaughan skrev:

. However, in the US the word "bitch" means someone with an
unpleasant disposition and has nothing to do with sexual connotations.

There are sometimes manipulative people who try to punish a woman they
perceive as being too strong, too smart, too ambitious by calling her
names like bitch and ball-buster. The woman is supposed to sad at being
called these names and back down, stop standing up for herself, etc.
But in the past 20 years or so there has been a trend to "reclaim" the
word, as is "yeah, I am tough and I am not so easily manipulated your
insults. If that makes me a bitch, then I am proud to be one!"

I got the "museumbitch" nickname originally from someone who DEFINITELY
did NOT mean it as a compliment. He was a local politician who did not
like the fact that I publicly stood up for another woman (my boss) who
was being trashed by this politician (and some others as well). We were
"those bitches who worked at the museum" instead of "nice girls." I
adopted the intended insult as a nickname as a way to be ironic. :-)

I hope this makes some semblence of sense. I am NOT a morning person
(it's 10 am here) and I have had 1 mug of tea, but I think I need a
second one before my brain awakens!!!

Erin