Opinions wanted please

Old March 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Opinions wanted please

Hi Everyone,

I've found a website www.threadart.com that has some lovely looking
soft chenille yarn on it. I would like your opinion if you have used
this before and how it would be in afghans for children. I remember
some saying that some chenille sheds and I don't want that to happen.
This company is located in Texas.

Thanks for the help.

Hugs,

Nora

Old March 8th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Cotton chenille sheds like a wooly dog on a hot day, and it worms,
too.

Synthetic chenilles are by and large stable, as far as it goes. I've
made a lot of chemo caps with Snowflake (I know, the snob has her
weaknesses) and a few other polyester and nylon "chenille" yarns and
haven't heard of one cap with problems.

Wonder if that place has a storefront...

On 8 Mar 2006 12:50:58 -0800, "norabalcer" spewed
forth :

Hi Everyone,

I've found a website www.threadart.com that has some lovely looking
soft chenille yarn on it. I would like your opinion if you have used
this before and how it would be in afghans for children. I remember
some saying that some chenille sheds and I don't want that to happen.
This company is located in Texas.

Thanks for the help.

Hugs,

Nora

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old March 9th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Every chenille I have ever crocheted or knitted has shed.

If Wooly is talking about the Sirdar Snowflake brand of yarn it is
ABSOLUTELY wonderful. It's not marketed is a chenille - they call it
"Ultra Light Fashion Chunky". Feels like air, looks like cotton candy.
I just finished my first every knitted shawl with it and it was self
fringing and just went together beautifully. Looks delicate, but it's
not. It survived me and my cats regular attacks during the making of
it.

I just bought more in bright yellow to make another non-fringed shawl.

Jenn in CA

Old March 9th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"norabalcer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I've found a website www.threadart.com that has some lovely looking
soft chenille yarn on it. I would like your opinion if you have used
this before and how it would be in afghans for children. I remember
some saying that some chenille sheds and I don't want that to happen.
This company is located in Texas.

Thanks for the help.

Hugs,

Nora

Nora, I haven't used this particular yarn, but I did knit a sweater from
Rowan cotton chenille several years ago. There hasn't been any problems
with shedding from it.
DA

Old March 9th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , "DA"
wrote:

"norabalcer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I've found a website www.threadart.com that has some lovely looking
soft chenille yarn on it. I would like your opinion if you have used
this before and how it would be in afghans for children. I remember
some saying that some chenille sheds and I don't want that to happen.
This company is located in Texas.

Thanks for the help.

Hugs,

Nora

Nora, I haven't used this particular yarn, but I did knit a sweater from
Rowan cotton chenille several years ago. There hasn't been any problems
with shedding from it.
DA

I have never knitted with chenille, so can't give an opinion, however I
have woven with it and not always with great success. The very expensive
Rowan cotton chenille, for a scarf was a dissaster. I must be honest, I
am not sure if that was me or if it was the yarn. It did worm like mad.
Nora, I would buy one or two balls of the stuff and try it out..... knit
and wash it and see how it works out

Els
Old March 9th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I have crocheted with it ,,, BRRRRR it slipped ran away , but i have
to admit did it with mittens , as i can`t touch this
mirjam

Old March 10th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

MRH wrote:
Okay, I'm intrigued.... what is a self-fringing shawl and is there a picture
of it somewhere for us to see? )

There is, do a Google search for it, but what it is, when you bind off,
you don't BO the last 2-3 stitches at each end of the row. You drop them
instead, and you get a fringe.

sue

Gemini

oups.com...

Old March 11th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Nora,

I have never worked with it either. But I have bought a few sweaters
over the years that were made from chenille. It is so soft, I can't
resist, but you need to be so careful in washing. The "fuzz" is left
over after a wash and then you have a bare spot in the sweater, and now
it is something that you can just wear around the house.

Then again, I detest hand washing (lazy) and use the gentle cycle on
the machine, which may just be too much for the garment.

Have you looked at the really soft baby yarns that Walmart carries. I
was in there the other day, DD and I like one in particular, but cannot
remember who makes it. It was thick and soft.

Diane

Old March 11th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
ups.com...
Nora,

I have never worked with it either. But I have bought a few sweaters
over the years that were made from chenille. It is so soft, I can't
resist, but you need to be so careful in washing. The "fuzz" is left
over after a wash and then you have a bare spot in the sweater, and now
it is something that you can just wear around the house.

I know exactly what you mean about the sweaters becoming only something you
can wear around the house. One year for Christmas my two sisters and I
(without each other knowing in advance) bought my Mom chenille sweaters...
(the one from me was baby pink, the one from my oldest sister was charise
(sp), and the one from my second sister was navy blue/black mixed)... this
happened from time to time with us all getting her the same item. ;o)
Anyway, the only one that survived that I can still wear anywhere (my Mom
and I wore the same size tops... I am much taller than she was, so we
couldn't exchange jeans or slacks) is the navy/black one... simply because
it had a higher neck and my Mom had a problem wearing sweaters that were
high in the neck, they made her feel like she was choking. The other two
were worn a few times, and like you I washed them in the gentle cycle of the
washer because I hate hand-washing... so they have numerous bare spots and
cannot be worn anymore. / I remember the one I bought being quite
expensive, so I wasn't impressed that it didn't last too long.

Gemini

opinions needed Sandy Foster Quilting 13 August 6th 05 03:41 PM
Opinions Please... Dawn >^..^ Beads 33 May 27th 05 05:54 AM
Quilting Software ... Opinions?? Thoughts??? MLS Quilting 10 May 26th 05 06:33 AM
I lost the email from the person who wanted the rubber stamps sleber Rubberstamps 0 May 11th 04 07:21 PM
new pictures (opinions wanted) Beadbimbo Beads 41 February 10th 04 01:39 PM