Yard Sale Score! And a ?

Old September 26th 05, 04:46 AM
Debra

Default Yard Sale Score! And a ?

Saturday morning I got up when the alarm rang. I set the alarm
because there was a yearly yard sale that I wanted to attend. The
lady that has it is 95 years old and moves around better than most
people 30 years younger than herself. She loves crafts, mostly
quilting. She absolutely loves piecing blocks and making tops, but
she has a problem when it comes to the quilting part. She hasn't the
ability to quilt a bed sized quilt anymore. She still quilts lap size
and wall hangings sometimes, and sometimes she sends them to a
long-arm quilter. She'd rather spend time piecing a new block or
making a new design of top. Her words were "I like a challenge, keeps
my brain exercised and working right."

I never thought a Bow Tie quilt looked pretty. Most of the ones I've
seen are black and white or navy and white so I always thought they
were boring. But I found a Bow Tie top at the yard sale and I fell in
love. It looks like it has feminine prints from every decade from the
thirties through the seventies in it, and if you can name a color I
bet it's in the quilt. It's not boring at all, and it's mine, mine,
all mine! (Insert vision of Snoopy dancing here) That's not all! I
got another quilt top made of blue and yellow gingham. There isn't
anything very awesome about it, but it looks old fashioned and homey
to me. I also picked up vintage embroidered table runners, dresser
scarves, and other assorted linens. Plus two pieces of cloth with
animals embroidered on them haphazardly. I plan to cut them apart and
use the animals for the centers of blocks later on. (That project
list never gets shorter, does it?)

Then I went to Mom's house and showed her my haul. It wasn't long
before I was driving her to the same sale and she bought three tops
for herself. Mom doesn't really like piecing, but she absolutely
loves the quilting part. She got two different Stack and Wacks and
one Card Trick top. We went back to her place and perused our booty!
When I left, she was already thinking about the perfect design or
designs to quilt. She was so happy about a new top to be quilted that
she went out today and bought batting and other supplies for the first
one.

One of my table runners is redwork and is already gracing a livingroom
table. The gingham top will be great for me to practice machine
quilting on, and it's big enough for the bed. The Bow Tie top is
huge, but I haven't any idea what sort of pattern to quilt. Should I
just echo the ties or is there something less boring I could do?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 26th 05, 06:57 AM
Quiltshophopper

put photos of your booty online so we all can coo over your haul!
Living vicariously,

cyndi

Old September 26th 05, 12:04 PM
KJ

oh dear! I didn't look at the subject line as I clicked through the
messages this morning. I thought this was a troll!! "pictures of my booty
so we can coo over my "Haul"? I thought haul was a code word. Oh my, it's
very early and I need more coffee to get my mind out of the gutter.

Old September 26th 05, 12:04 PM
Kate G.

Where oh Where... did you get that water print for your fishy quilt! It is
so wonderful!

Kate in MI

Old September 26th 05, 06:43 PM
Debra

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:04:39 -0400, "Kate G."
wrote:

Where oh Where... did you get that water print for your fishy quilt! It is
so wonderful!

Kate in MI

I know you mean the ocean waves fabric. The quilt shops here don't
have a print anything like it. I hate to say it, but it came from
Walmart. Approx $5 or $6 yd. I've got three Walmarts within 40 miles
of here and all of them still stock it. It has a nice thickness, not
too thin or anything.

A lot of people have asked me about that fabric. What can I do with
more of it? It doesn't seem to look right as part of a pieced block,
but it could be that I haven't thought of the right block yet.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 26th 05, 06:50 PM
Debra

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:57:53 -0600, "Quiltshophopper"
wrote:

put photos of your booty online so we all can coo over your haul!
Living vicariously,

cyndi

I haven't had time to get out the camera yet. I really want to put
the Bow Tie top and the redwork scarf online, but I didn't think the
rest would be interesting enough for other folks to ooh and ah over.
Hmmm, maybe I was mistaken there. Are there other vintage linen
lovers out there?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 26th 05, 07:34 PM
Anne in CA

Me, mee, me waves hands madly!!

)O( Anne in CA )O(
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.comcast.net/~annerudolph/

Debra wrote:
snipped Are there other vintage linen
lovers out there?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old September 26th 05, 11:52 PM
Pat in Virginia

Debra:
Good for you and your DM! Quilting the Bow Tie Top will depend in
part on how it is set together. I made a child's Bow Tie Quilt
with alternating plain blocks, and the bows tipped in alternate
directions for each row. I was able to do continuous line
quilting by going down and around half of each bow, repeating the
design in the blank square, moving to next bow and repeating this
until the end. On return trip, I stitched the second half of each
bow in both pieced and plain blocks. It looks good.
PAT in VA/USA

Old September 27th 05, 05:07 AM
Debra

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:34:30 -0700, Anne in CA
wrote:

Me, mee, me waves hands madly!!

)O( Anne in CA )O(

So.....you want some pix of the linens online too? I might have to
make a second album for the yard sale booty then. Might take a few
days. I haven't found the camera yet. I think it grew legs or
something. Gotta find it though.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 27th 05, 06:35 AM
Debra

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:52:23 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Debra:
Good for you and your DM! Quilting the Bow Tie Top will depend in
part on how it is set together. I made a child's Bow Tie Quilt
with alternating plain blocks, and the bows tipped in alternate
directions for each row. I was able to do continuous line
quilting by going down and around half of each bow, repeating the
design in the blank square, moving to next bow and repeating this
until the end. On return trip, I stitched the second half of each
bow in both pieced and plain blocks. It looks good.
PAT in VA/USA

The bow tie top is set without alternating blocks, and all bows run in
the same direction; lower left corner to upper right corner. The
blocks are 7 inch square. Depending on the batting I use I may not
need to quilt in the white areas, which are about the size of my fist.

Hmm, I wonder about how an infinity symbol, two interlocking ovals, or
a square on point flanked by two pointy ovals would work. Or maybe I
should find something that would fit the white areas and leave the bow
areas puffy. It seems a shame to just stitch in the ditch with the
walking foot, but that might be the best way for me to go.

Can any curves be done with a walking foot? It would take forever to
hand quilt it.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at