Are You a Fabricaholic?

Old May 21st 05, 10:48 PM
Judy C

Default Are You a Fabricaholic?

Are You a Fabricaholic?

Fabric quiz--
Misinformation about fabric flows freely in sewing circles. Learn how
accurate your information is by answering the true or false questions below.

1.. Fabric is a creative stimulant.
2.. It is okay to mix fabric with with other craft items.
3.. Using only 100% cotton does not lead to serious fabric problems.
4.. Anyone can sew two or three quilt blocks without their behaviour and
judgement changing noticeably.
5.. It's easy to quit quilting anytime you want to.
Self Assessment--
Having the facts is only part of making careful decisions about fabric use.
Analyze your attitudes and behaviour by answering the following
self-assessment questions.

1.. Are you unable to stop quilting after a certain number of projects?
2.. Do you need new fabric to get motivated?
3.. Do you often forget what happened around you while you were sewing?
4.. Do you quilt alone?
5.. Have others annoyed you by criticizing your quilting?
6.. Have you been involved in fights with your friends or family while you
were trying to quilt?
7.. Have you bought fabric while thinking about quilting, then later
regretted it?
8.. Have you destroyed or damaged property in order to quilt?
9.. Do you drive while thinking about quilts?
10.. Have you been physically hurt while quilting?
11.. Have you dropped or chosen friends based on whether or not they
quilt?
12.. Do you think you are a normal quilter despite friend's comments that
you sew too much?
13.. Have you ever missed class or work because you were quilting all
night and couldn't get up on time?
14.. Have you ever done poorly on an exam or presentation because you
spent too much time quilting?
15.. Do you think about fabric and quilting a lot?
16.. Do you feel guilty or self-conscious because of your quilting?
If you answered "yes" to three or more of these questions, or if your answer
to any of these questions concerns you, you may be using fabric in ways that
are harmful. Do not waste your time blaming yourself for shopping binges or
any other fabric-related behaviour. If you think you have or might be
developing problems in which fabric plays a part, act now. You can get help.

Remember, stick to your limits. You can stay in control of situations that
involve fabric even though others may pressure you to change your mind. Here
are some tips that may help:

-- It is always okay to refuse fabric. Be polite but firm in your refusal
and maintain eye contact. If the offer is repeated, you can still stick to
your decision. Say that you prefer not to add fabric to your collection
today. In some instances you might need to walk away or reverse the pressure
with a comment like, "Why is it so important to you that I have this
fabric?"

-- Before entering a quilting shop or other place where fabric is available,
decide how much fabric you plan to buy. Know what non-fabric items you plan
to purchase once you have reached your pre-determined fabric limit.

-- Get involved in a range of activities which you enjoy. This will help you
make friendships that are not focused on quilting and enable you to suggest
alternative activities to friends with whom you habitually quilt.

Some of the friends urging you to quilt might have quilting problems
themselves. For information about helping them, talk to a counsellor in the
community or read the American Health Association brochure "How to Help a
Friend with a Fabric Problem."

Old May 21st 05, 10:53 PM
Tina

Hysterical! Thanks, I needed this. I'll have to look through my files
for the one I wrote, My Quiltaholic 12-Step Program.

Tina

Old May 21st 05, 11:24 PM
Sharon Harper

..........maybe.............

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) (looking up from
lowered head with toe gently making lines in the dirt)

"Judy C" wrote in message

Are You a Fabricaholic?

------

Old May 21st 05, 11:26 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Judy C" wrote in message

7.. Have you bought fabric while thinking about quilting, then later
regretted it?

I may be a Tramp, but I've never regretted a minute of it!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 22nd 05, 12:20 AM
Mary in Washington

Did someone write this about me??? Love it! Thanks for the giggle!!!

Old May 22nd 05, 07:24 PM

"Judy C" wrote in message

Are You a Fabricaholic?

snipped
-- It is always okay to refuse fabric. Be polite but firm in your refusal
and maintain eye contact. If the offer is repeated, you can still stick to
your decision. Say that you prefer not to add fabric to your collection
today. In some instances you might need to walk away or reverse the
pressure with a comment like, "Why is it so important to you that I have
this fabric?"

May I be the first to offer a good home to any fabric refusals. ;-)

Old May 22nd 05, 09:57 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Answers Interspersed

Judy C wrote:

Are You a Fabricaholic?

Fabric quiz--
Misinformation about fabric flows freely in sewing circles. Learn how
accurate your information is by answering the true or false questions below.

1.. Fabric is a creative stimulant.

Well duH!
2.. It is okay to mix fabric with with other craft items.

Of course it is.
3.. Using only 100% cotton does not lead to serious fabric problems.

Not at all
4.. Anyone can sew two or three quilt blocks without their behaviour and
judgement changing noticeably.

Or three or four or ...
5.. It's easy to quit quilting anytime you want to.

That's right. I could quit whenever I want to.
Self Assessment--
Having the facts is only part of making careful decisions about fabric use.
Analyze your attitudes and behaviour by answering the following
self-assessment questions.

1.. Are you unable to stop quilting after a certain number of projects?

There are so many more to go.
2.. Do you need new fabric to get motivated?

New fabric, old fabric. Fabric is just good.
3.. Do you often forget what happened around you while you were sewing?

I often don't want to know what happened while I was sewing.
4.. Do you quilt alone?

Sure. But I also quilt in groups!
5.. Have others annoyed you by criticizing your quilting?

Most surely they have. What do they know.
6.. Have you been involved in fights with your friends or family while you
were trying to quilt?

Sometimes they're annoying.
7.. Have you bought fabric while thinking about quilting, then later
regretted it?

I'd never regret buying fabric.
8.. Have you destroyed or damaged property in order to quilt?

Does cutting up the fabric count?
9.. Do you drive while thinking about quilts?

Doesn't everyone?
10.. Have you been physically hurt while quilting?

Unfortunately, yes. Besides the usual needles through fingers, there
was that incident with the rotary cutter.
11.. Have you dropped or chosen friends based on whether or not they
quilt?

Well, I found you guys by quilting.
12.. Do you think you are a normal quilter despite friend's comments that
you sew too much?

You can never sew too much.
13.. Have you ever missed class or work because you were quilting all
night and couldn't get up on time?

Oh I wish!!
14.. Have you ever done poorly on an exam or presentation because you
spent too much time quilting?

Most of the time I'd rather be quilting.
15.. Do you think about fabric and quilting a lot?

How much is a lot? I draw stippling on paper during meetings.
[...]

I can stop whenever I want, I tell you!!!