How do I soften stiff (cheap) yarn?

Old October 30th 03, 04:24 PM
Donna Levin

Default How do I soften stiff (cheap) yarn?

I crocheted an afghan from cheap acrylic yarn, and it's very stiff ... not soft
and cuddly. Is there any way to soften it up?

I've tried running it through the washine machine. It's a little bit better,
but not much. Should I just keep washing it with lots of fabric softener?

Any suggestions (other than buying better yarn and starting over!) will be
gratefully accepted.
Old October 30th 03, 05:15 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Donna Levin" wrote in message
I crocheted an afghan from cheap acrylic yarn, and it's very stiff ...

not soft
and cuddly. Is there any way to soften it up?

I've tried running it through the washine machine. It's a little bit

better,
but not much. Should I just keep washing it with lots of fabric

softener?

Any suggestions (other than buying better yarn and starting over!) will

be
gratefully accepted.

Hi Donna!
Okay, I've had the same problem... as I tend to buy cheap acrylics for the
throws and scarves that I sell, and use the good stuff for family and
friends, LOL.
Here's MY recipe:
First take about a cup of fabric softener and put that in a spray bottle,
fill the rest with warm water. Spray both sides of your afghan till it's
slightly wetter than damp. Throw it in the dryer with a fabric softener
sheet and one dry towel. Tumble on FLUFF (no heat) for a couple of
minutes, then put it on your LOWEST setting for a couple of minutes....
bounce back and forth between LOW and FLUFF.
If it's still not as soft as you like... BTW, this USUALLY does work, but
some yarns are even more resistant... THEN do this:
Start your washer with warm water and dump in 1 cup of table salt and 1 cup
of vinegar. When you're sure the salt is dissolved, change setting to
COLD, and fill the washer all the way up, now add your afghan. SOAK for at
LEAST one hour... the longer the better! When you get to rinse, DON'T add
softener, add 1./2 cup vinegar instead.
NOW dry it with fabric softener sheets. (I use 4)
Hope this helps!
Noreen

---

Old October 30th 03, 05:56 PM
Agres

Thanks!
Recovering from cheap SEX at the hobby shop - bought a pile of acrylic to
learn Fair Isle/ Nordic traditional knitting. Real lopi is on order. Looks
like I need to make some sets of bigger DPN.

RCTY taught me to knit faster by holding the yarn in my left hand. With a
strand of yarn in in each hand, I should be able to knit real fast : )

Aaron

Old October 30th 03, 09:09 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Agres" wrote in message
Thanks!
Recovering from cheap SEX at the hobby shop - bought a pile of acrylic to
learn Fair Isle/ Nordic traditional knitting. Real lopi is on order.

Looks
like I need to make some sets of bigger DPN.

RCTY taught me to knit faster by holding the yarn in my left hand. With

strand of yarn in in each hand, I should be able to knit real fast : )

Aaron

Aaron, glad YOU can use my tips as well, and happy to help whenever I can!
Hugs,
Noreen

---

Old October 30th 03, 11:30 PM
Janise Ross

Noreen,

Doesn't the afghan smell like vinegar after you've soaked it and rinsed
it in vinegar?

Janise

Old October 30th 03, 11:40 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Janise Ross" wrote in message
Noreen,

Doesn't the afghan smell like vinegar after you've soaked it and

rinsed
it in vinegar?

Janise

NOPE, remember, it's only 1 cup in the wash and 1/2 cup in the rinse, AND
you're using 4 softener sheets in the dryer.
My stuff never smells like vinegar, and I do it all the time....
I 'set' bluejeans with vinegared sal****er too, Don will NOT wear the faded
bleachy look jeans, they must be DARK blue, grin.
Noreen

---

Old October 30th 03, 11:45 PM
Janise Ross

But I use unscented softener sheets...I also have allergies to perfume-y
smells, in addition to my food allergies which I have recently posted. ;-/

Janise

Old October 31st 03, 06:38 AM
Anna MCM

Janise Ross wrote:
But I use unscented softener sheets...I also have allergies to perfume-y
smells, in addition to my food allergies which I have recently posted. ;-/

Janise

Hi!

I use vinegar for cleaning. Coming from Italy, I used wine vinegar
first, it worked but it smelled like hell (plus itīs quite expensive
here in Sweden). I used sometimes apple vinegar (cider vinegar?) and it
smells quite better than wine one.
Then I discovered the final solution: attika! I donīt know how itīs
called in English, maybe alcohol vinegar. Itīs transparent like vodka
(donīt misplace the bottle LOL), doesnīt smell (well, very very little,
but itīs not nasty at all) and itīs very very cheap! It comes in
different concentrations, 10% and 12%.
I donīt know if it can be used for this pourpouse as well, letīs ask
Noreen...

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old October 31st 03, 11:25 AM
CMM PDX2

Janise wrote:

But I use unscented softener sheets...I also have allergies to
perfume-y smells, in addition to my food allergies which I have
recently posted. ;-/

Janise - even without the softener sheets, after going through the washer there
shouldn't be any vinegar smell. You can just toss a half-cup or a cup of white
vinegar into the wash before the final rinse, or earlier. And vinegar itself
softens acrylic yarns, although maybe not as fast as using the softener sheets
too. The lady who runs the Ship Support project is severely asthmatic, and
highly allergic to smoke and scented fabric softeners. Vinegar is what she's
asked everyone to use to soften/deodorize knitted items - wool or acrylic. MMV,
of course, but you could cautiously give it a try to see if it has any affect
on you. You might need to wash things this way a couple of times before they
really soften up, but it should still work. without sending you to the
emergency room!

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old October 31st 03, 01:08 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Janise Ross" wrote in message
But I use unscented softener sheets...I also have allergies to perfume-y
smells, in addition to my food allergies which I have recently posted.

;-/

Janise

I do TOO, Janise! Honest, it doesn't smell like vinegar!
Truly!
Hugs,
Noreen

---

FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Frizelle Olympe "34" yarn SlinkyToy Yarn 0 September 22nd 03 02:30 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM
Yarn Substitution SlinkyToy Yarn 5 August 23rd 03 06:34 AM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM