Baby quilt - need help please!

Old August 8th 04, 09:20 AM
Roberta Zollner

Default Baby quilt - need help please!

Everybody needs a quilt! And even though lots of mothers don't put them over
the baby, there is nothing more useful for under the baby. Great to take
along as a portable clean surface -you can put the baby down on the floor
when visiting friends, etc. Very nice as a playpen liner. And lots of them
end up as the inseparable blankie. I love getting photos of sleeping
children clutching one of my quilts.
Yes, use cotton batting! Any size is useful. A 40" square is perfect for
playpens and prams. 40 X 60 fits a toddler bed. Twin size will last through
childhood.
Roberta in D

"Wendy Playle" wrote in message
.. .
Would any of you kindly folks out there please help. My darling niece and
her husband have just announced they are expecting my first 'great niece'.
I'm overjoyed and my immediate thought was - Quilt!
Hang on though, I am way out of touch with modern baby care, and from what

read I'm scared to start. Do babies still need bedclothes? Is it ok to use
cotton batting? What is the correct size to make?
Any guidance would be most gratefully received.

--
Wendy P in Stansted, UK

Old August 8th 04, 09:21 AM
Kate Dicey

Wendy Playle wrote:

Would any of you kindly folks out there please help. My darling niece and
her husband have just announced they are expecting my first 'great niece'.
I'm overjoyed and my immediate thought was - Quilt!
Hang on though, I am way out of touch with modern baby care, and from what I
read I'm scared to start. Do babies still need bedclothes? Is it ok to use
cotton batting? What is the correct size to make?
Any guidance would be most gratefully received.

Yes they need bedding - especially in cold houses!

Cotton batting is perfect

Any size you like! I'd do it lap sized so that they get years of
play-on-it/snuggle-in-it time.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 8th 04, 09:22 AM
Wendy Playle

Thank you all so very much for your replies, I guess if I use cotton fabric,
threads and batting and pre wash to ensure durability I should be ok. I now
feel much encouraged and am off on a to inspect fabrics!
My imagination is somewhat limited, and the design part of quilting scares
me silly, but I have seen several references to 'I spy' quilts. Am I right
in guessing this is a method of using a quilt design to act as a kind of
'picture book'?

If this is the case I could perhaps do a snowball quilt with each snowball
containing something different. I'm thinking of double sided, classic soft
pastels one side and brights the other. I could free machine quilt.

Any veiws? I have developed a strong admiration for the advice and opinions
available on this group!

--
Wendy P in Stansted, UK

Old August 8th 04, 11:38 AM
Packrat

Diana you are just *too* kind!

--
8-)

Jessamy
In the Netherlands
http://www.geocities.com/jess_ayad/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS. In my quilts folder there is a moon motif that I designed and will be
happy to share with you, or anyone wishing to make it, and I wont ask for
12% of the profit if you sell the finished quilt on ebay. ;-)
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lunamom44/my_photos
Diana

---

Old August 8th 04, 11:54 AM
Patti

Hullo Wendy
I think a snowball block would be terrific for an I-spy quilt: nice
space to show off the 'novelty' and the corners which can unify the
blocks. Really good idea. Reasonably quick and easy to do as well.
..
In article , Wendy Playle
writes
Thank you all so very much for your replies, I guess if I use cotton fabric,
threads and batting and pre wash to ensure durability I should be ok. I now
feel much encouraged and am off on a to inspect fabrics!
My imagination is somewhat limited, and the design part of quilting scares
me silly, but I have seen several references to 'I spy' quilts. Am I right
in guessing this is a method of using a quilt design to act as a kind of
'picture book'?

If this is the case I could perhaps do a snowball quilt with each snowball
containing something different. I'm thinking of double sided, classic soft
pastels one side and brights the other. I could free machine quilt.

Any veiws? I have developed a strong admiration for the advice and opinions
available on this group!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 04, 11:57 AM
Diana Curtis

I would lose my amatuer standing and be tossed out of the league
unceremoniously. Its just not worth it to me!
;-)
Diana

"Betty in Wi" wrote in message
Aw, shucks---I was prepared to pay you..........

Betty

Old August 8th 04, 11:58 AM
Diana Curtis

My lawyers will eat your lawyers for breakfast. Three years olds eat more
than gators and are a far sight more picky about it.
Diana

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
I designed that quilt before Diana did and I must insist on my 12%. Not

that
I'm being a greedy horse's patootie or anything, but the cost of gator

feed
just keeps going up and up. Polly

"Diana Curtis" wrote . In my quilts folder there is a moon motif that I

Old August 8th 04, 12:02 PM
Diana Curtis

Perfect sense. Polyester is plastic essentially. Plastic melts and sticks to
what it falls on. Cotton is what welders wear, too, for the same reasons.
The chemicals used to make a garment fire resistant are kind of suspect
too.
My rule of thumb is, dress them in cotton, keep their clothing comfortable
but not to drapey, and keep them away from all sources of heat (thats kind
of a duh message, but it bears repeating.).
Diana

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Please be careful with any of the "flame retardant" stuff. It tends to be
polyester, and if you talk with fire fighters, most of them would rather

have
kids in non flame retardant cotton than the poly. Poly melts, and can

cause
serious burns because if it gets on skin the surface cools forcing the

heat into
the skin and below. Bad burns.
Cotton may flame, but then it goes away into ash. Cooler flame and while

it may
cause burns, they don't go as deep............

Hope that makes sense to someone out there........

Pati, in Phx. (got that info from a fire fighter years ago, by the way)

frood wrote:

There is a new batting available that is flame resistant - Sweet Dreams

or
something. Something Dreams anyway. I've seen it in the Connecting

Threads
catalog. I also just saw an ad somewhere for flame resistant bumper pads
precut, ready to cover.

When I make baby quilts, I use a cotton batting, thin loft, and quilt it
with cotton thread. I usually make them 45x60 - big enough for a toddler

bed
or a floor mat, small enough to go in a crib or hang on a wall. My

brother
did that with the quilt I made his baby. It had dimensional bits perfect

for
baby fingers, but he chose to hang it on the wall. Oh well. It was his

to do
with as he pleased. I did put a sleeve on the back of it, to prevent him
from driving nails through it to hang it!

Anyway, good batting, good quilting, and include washing instructions

with
the gift. Congrats on being a Great Auntie! I got to see my great auntie
while in Scotland, and for DD#1, it was her Great-Great Auntie!

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old August 8th 04, 12:35 PM
mauvicem

Make it at least 42 x 48 ....I say this since my DGD now 3 must have her
little quilt, I made for a fabric challenge (that she immediately laid claim
to), when she naps ....needless to say now it is merely a shawl....it was
never meant as a quilt to snuggle under but she Loves it anyway....best to
start off a little bigger that way when they are attached to it, it will
still COVER them.....

--
Mauvice in Central WI
"Wendy Playle" wrote in message
.. .
Would any of you kindly folks out there please help. My darling niece and
her husband have just announced they are expecting my first 'great niece'.
I'm overjoyed and my immediate thought was - Quilt!
Hang on though, I am way out of touch with modern baby care, and from what

read I'm scared to start. Do babies still need bedclothes? Is it ok to use
cotton batting? What is the correct size to make?
Any guidance would be most gratefully received.

--
Wendy P in Stansted, UK

Haunted Christmas Quilt Nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 18th 11 05:04 PM
cleaning a baby quilt dqlts Quilting 6 April 21st 04 04:49 PM
OK, you've finished the quilt, now what to do with the scraps? Have fun! QUILTKITTY Quilting 12 January 6th 04 05:48 PM
help with a baby quilt Ann Adamson Quilting 4 August 21st 03 12:36 AM