OT - Ice, Ice Everywhere

Old January 27th 04, 07:35 PM
Ellice

Default OT - Ice, Ice Everywhere

Well, kind of homebound today - we thought, okay - the street finally got
plowed, we're good to go wit 2 4WD vehicles. Then, go looking for the
ice-melt stuff in the freezing garage - and it seems we forgot to replace
the last batch, OOOPS. This because looking out the sunroom - the driveway
looks very glazed.

Now, we go out front, thinking - if it's okay we'll head out to the local
shop, and get some ice melt, some other needs - before the traffic starts.
In 2 words FORGET IT! Our entire driveway, and street - is one big glaze -
like a sheet of glass - covered in 1/2" -1" ice. Everything.

So, while the dog is hilarious crunching and running, slipping thru it - not
a good picture for humans or vehicles. Anyhow, any of you others in the DC
area - if you haven't been out - that's the deal. Definitely not a good
driving situation. The snow isn't that much - several inches here - but
likely under a foot - but the ice - bad. Only think I'm worried about - last
ice storms - our street - out of power for 3 and 5 days.

Ellice - going to go find something making me thing warm to stitch. And
hoping tonight's hockey games get cancelled!

Old January 27th 04, 08:53 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ellice wrote:

So, while the dog is hilarious crunching and running, slipping thru it - not
a good picture for humans or vehicles. Anyhow, any of you others in the DC
area - if you haven't been out - that's the deal. Definitely not a good
driving situation. The snow isn't that much - several inches here - but
likely under a foot - but the ice - bad. Only think I'm worried about - last
ice storms - our street - out of power for 3 and 5 days.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous. DH just got back from PA
where he was skiing with the church youth group (driving a
minivan full of kids home!), but he still has to go return
the rental van :-( It's just to the airport (we're only
about 15 minutes away normally), but still...

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 27th 04, 09:52 PM
aeromom

Sounds like you folks on the east coast are suffering through this
winter. Here in southeastern Montana we are having arctic temperatures
but not so much ice. The snow is still fluffy and the drifts are high
but we can still get around in our vehicles if we are very careful.
Our temps are below 0 and wind chills are minus 20 and such. Should
get worse tonight. Arghh.. Can't wait for spring. Enough already...
aeromom

Old January 27th 04, 10:17 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Ellice wrote:
The snow isn't that much - several inches here - but
likely under a foot - but the ice - bad. Only think I'm worried about - last
ice storms - our street - out of power for 3 and 5 days.

When the weather gets like this, the snow is a *good* thing..at least
there's some traction and you can walk on the snow and avoid the ice! DH
is also worried about the power. We're in production on the next issue
of the magazine and it's "crunch" time -- if the computers go down,
we're sunk.

There was a year - either 1994 or 1995 -- when we had one after another
of days like today -- it was AWFUL. No snow, just freezing rain day
after day after day. I think they used something like 16 snow days and
had to take back some holidays (like Memorial Day) and extend the school
day by 15 minutes for six weeks. That was the worst winter *ever*.

sue (commiserating in Baltimore)

Old January 27th 04, 10:24 PM
Ellice

On 1/27/04 4:52 PM,"aeromom" posted:

Sounds like you folks on the east coast are suffering through this
winter. Here in southeastern Montana we are having arctic temperatures
but not so much ice. The snow is still fluffy and the drifts are high
but we can still get around in our vehicles if we are very careful.
Our temps are below 0 and wind chills are minus 20 and such. Should
get worse tonight. Arghh.. Can't wait for spring. Enough already...

Y'know, we really had a mild fall, and winter was quite late in coming - not
really until winter by the calendar. But, we're getting it now. I'd much
rather have snow than ice. DH is convinced if we try to get either vehicle
down the long drive, we'll just end up in the across the street neighbor's
yard. They've already announced the schools opening 3 hours late tomorrow in
Fairfax County - yuk.

I think Caryn & I may have to postpone our S.E.X. outing til Friday!

Wow - Montana, someplace I've always wanted to visit. You stay warm!

Ellice

Old January 27th 04, 10:26 PM
Ellice

On 1/27/04 3:53 PM,"Ericka Kammerer" posted:

Ellice wrote:

So, while the dog is hilarious crunching and running, slipping thru it - not
a good picture for humans or vehicles. Anyhow, any of you others in the DC
area - if you haven't been out - that's the deal. Definitely not a good
driving situation. The snow isn't that much - several inches here - but
likely under a foot - but the ice - bad. Only think I'm worried about - last
ice storms - our street - out of power for 3 and 5 days.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous. DH just got back from PA
where he was skiing with the church youth group (driving a
minivan full of kids home!), but he still has to go return
the rental van :-( It's just to the airport (we're only
about 15 minutes away normally), but still...

Hope he had a great trip skiing. At least from you guys in Alexandria it
should be well sanded roads to National. Hopefully he makes it with no
incident - is he going to wait til after rush (or slow) hour?

ellice

Old January 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Roberta

Blech. I'm not happy about this because I'm supposed to be heading to DC on
Friday. Hmmm....

Roberta

Old January 27th 04, 11:50 PM
Seaspray

There was a year - either 1994 or 1995 -- when we had one after another
of days like today -- it was AWFUL.

That was probably 95. I had my DD during one of those blasted storms.
Needless to say, I did not have any visitors in the hospital for 2 days!

I am reading these posts on ice as I hear the ice rain clinking off my front
window. I guess it is NJ's turn now for the ice and snow. School let out
early and I am certain we will all be able to sleep late tomorrow.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm.
Seaspray

Old January 27th 04, 11:52 PM
Seaspray

And
hoping tonight's hockey games get cancelled!

It doesn't happen often, but I would hope they use caution. I wouldn't want
anyone getting hurt. BTW, Ellice, how do you feel about the trade?

Seaspray

Old January 28th 04, 12:15 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Ellice wrote:
They've already announced the schools opening 3 hours late tomorrow in
Fairfax County - yuk.

That's weird. First, I've never heard of *3* hours late...the most here
is *2* hours. Secondly, it's a little premature, as here it's supposed
to turn back into snow and drop a few more inches (how many depends on
what channel you watch!)

Sue